xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Wat Is The Best Dash  (Read 101 times)

mormon night

• Archived User
Wat Is The Best Dash
« on: October 29, 2006, 04:06:00 AM »

it all depends, what are you looking for in a dash? a great file manager? a freaking awesome mediacenter? IGR? an irc client? its all personal oppinion! i have a couple installed on my xbox all for different reasons!

Razor_Ramon

• Archived User
Wat Is The Best Dash
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 12:01:00 PM »

XBMC should be your default dash,You should also get UnleashX,its pretty cool also,it has a good txt editor no other dash has either

And i only ever use evox  for trainers

cobrin

• Archived User
Wat Is The Best Dash
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 05:44:00 PM »

I boot into Evox, then either run XBMC or Avalaunch depending on what i wanna do.

I'd have XBMC as the default dash but it's updated so often that its a pain to keep it as the default one
and upgrade it too.

If I'm running games then evox will do

If movies and music then xbmc it is (also file manager)

If it's xbox to xbox Avalaunch (or qwix on the pc)

UnleashX looks great but it has been buggy sometimes and doesn't have that polished feel to it as XBMC or Ava.

The choice is up to you have a look at the skins avaliable and make your choice.

Zebes

• Archived User
Wat Is The Best Dash
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »

XBMC is one of the only dash's that is still being updated

xX MADDIE Xx

• Archived User
Wat Is The Best Dash
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »

I use 2 different dashboards on my xbox's. I use the first one just to play movies and use XBMC as a dash, its easy to quickly jump into my list of stored movies

On the other I use Unleashx, that xbox has all my games and emu's on it so a flashy video while deciding what to play is cool.

One other thing I will say is that XBMC is great to use with xlink and that was my dash of choice when I used to play on there!

jimbobjim

• Archived User
Wat Is The Best Dash
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 02:08:00 AM »

If you want the most functionality on start up then use XBMC, it'll do just about anything any other dash can and  a s**t load more.

iwanttheagrocrag

• Archived User
Wat Is The Best Dash
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 01:17:00 PM »

THC 1.2 is my favorite cuz it work just like the stock dash but instead of the live tab there is a tab called hard drive or whatever you want to rename it and when you go in it has four menus apps, games, dashboards, emulators. You can also put fifth tab in the main menu that links to w/e program you want it to, xored launcher, XBMC, ect. Unleash x is my 2nd fave cuz if its gonna look like shit at least it works properly most of the time and has text file viewing also. Dont get me started about avalaunch were it is all slow on xbox 2 xbox ftp or freezes or something and it still looks shitty still and you cant even skin as cool an unleash so whats the point. XBMC is badass but i never tryed to see how fast and its annoying looking for apps an stuff (to me at least) and it does have kia integrated but thats stupid too cuz you gotta IGR all the time. Evox is of course great and no problems but 2d backgrounds suck and the ftp is slow. all in all a modded xbox isnt the same without a good dash like THC or XBMC, wich i still say is just an app.

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
Wat Is The Best Dash
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »

UnleashX by a landslide.  

Evox is, for the most part, outdated.  i only use it when repairing TSOP mods, to flash the bios.  i can do that with another tool, so that's not a big deal.  Some use Evox for trainers, but those are in XBMC now, so again, not needed.

AvaLaunch felt okay at first, but it screams if you use a ShadowC drive system and a chip at the same time....it also freezes a lot for me doing the things i kept it around for, so besides the shoutcast streams, this one is useless to me

as for XBMC, the XBMC team has stated that programs/apps in XBMC was a tacked on feature.  Also, though its being updated still, the amount of crashing/bugs/upgrading that has to happen over time makes it less appealing as an actual dash and more as just an application....

UnleashX sometimes crashes on me, but very rarely.  XBMC crashes if i do too much at once.

in UnleashX you can do all the virtual file folders you need to, and organize things the way you want, where as in XBMC, last i checked, they didn't give you much choice as far as order or organization goes.

Lastly, unleashx is REALLY versitile....built in file manager, built in media player for mp3, wma, wmv, xbx, jpg and xmv.  built in zip file support.  animated skins with a simple skinning engine, scripting/batch commands....enough stuff that you can create a Log In screen and set up profiles if you want to.  I used UnleashX in a similar way to Guybird's, as a front end for a personal XMugen project, but i was able to create me own animated skin, automate several things such as resolution, clearing of cache, and eventually, controller type.  it really was a fun time for me for a little while