xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Come On <EVERY DASH DEV>, Join Up With Us!  (Read 178 times)

h8raid

• Archived User
Come On <EVERY DASH DEV>, Join Up With Us!
« on: October 16, 2004, 10:59:00 AM »

This poll is here because I want to know what the scene thinks.  Personally, I think we need to get the major teams together that are involved in dashboard development and have them work together on one dash.  I say this because each dash has their own strong points and where one is weak, there is always another dash that picks up the slack.  Why not work together and raise the bar for everybody, I believe this is in the best interest of the scene.  I also think that if something like this were to be done that it should be open source so that the scene can help out and submit their own work.  That way we can eliminate some of the repeat postings for the same features that we see over and over again.  This thread will be posted in the board for each dashboard in hopes that with enough demand the teams will want to get involved and do something like this.  So let's get the polls moving.  Anybody that would like to see this happen, please help out and let's get in contact with the teams personally, send them a link to the polls so they can see their supporters want them to get involved, tell them about the project and express your interest in it.  PM me if you want to help out.
Regards
  -H8raid

h8raid

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2004, 11:01:00 AM »

This poll is here because I want to know what the scene thinks.  Personally, I think we need to get the major teams together that are involved in dashboard development and have them work together on one dash.  I say this because each dash has their own strong points and where one is weak, there is always another dash that picks up the slack.  Why not work together and raise the bar for everybody, I believe this is in the best interest of the scene.  I also think that if something like this were to be done that it should be open source so that the scene can help out and submit their own work.  That way we can eliminate some of the repeat postings for the same features that we see over and over again.  This thread will be posted in the board for each dashboard in hopes that with enough demand the teams will want to get involved and do something like this.  So let's get the polls moving.  Anybody that would like to see this happen, please help out and let's get in contact with the teams personally, send them a link to the polls so they can see their supporters want them to get involved, tell them about the project and express your interest in it.  PM me if you want to help out.
Regards
  -H8raid

h8raid

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »

Regards
  -H8raid

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 11:36:00 AM »

Did you have to post in every thread?

h8raid

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 11:05:00 AM »

Regards
  -H8raid

h8raid

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 11:06:00 AM »

Regards
  -H8raid

h8raid

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »

Regards
  -H8raid

ombi

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 11:07:00 AM »

huh.gif i'm a multi operating system user so i like to play with opensorce if there was a opensorce dash it be loads of fun just to see what other people have done take a look at linux theres somany veriations and some weve never soon coz the people who made, made them for themselfs
u got my vote  biggrin.gif

X-ace

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 11:12:00 AM »

I hate to rain, but I think the various dashes have their strong points precisely because they have started with their own view of the world and developed that. A little good ol' competition has probably not hurt.

Having said that, the nature of XBMP/XBMC development has probably helped making it as strong as it is today.

Dolfhin

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 11:34:00 AM »

XBMC ain't a dash it's a media player.

nimbles

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 11:36:00 AM »

huh.gif xbmc is open source - so the other dash devs could be contributing to it but at the end of the day its each dev's perogative as to whether or not he wants to make his work closed or open source- and their decision should be respected

ZASADAR

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 12:43:00 PM »

its up to unleashx im just glad its free

This post has been edited by ZASADAR: Oct 16 2004, 07:48 PM

82ross

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2004, 01:08:00 PM »

QUOTE (Dolfhin @ Oct 16 2004, 07:37 PM)
XBMC ain't a dash it's a media player.

What makes it not a dash?

It is a dash also.

SigTom

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »

Nice Spam.

And no, keep the teams as they are, no one join together......competition breeds innovation.  Just imagine if the teams joined up, first theyd argue over the name, then who gets credit, then over the release schedule, then over whether is OS or close, then who knows what else.  

Just one more useless topic in the forums, good job h8raid.

This post has been edited by SigTom: Oct 16 2004, 08:54 PM

geniusalz

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2004, 02:22:00 PM »

As of now, MXM is the only open source dash (besides nexgen, i think)

But even if the other teams could be convinced to release their sources, I don't think they will like working together on one dash.

The main reason is that each team has their own idea of what a dash should be like, and that's what they work towards.  For example, some teams prefer functionality over appearance, and some otherwise.  Therefore, it's better for each team to achieve what they want, and the user can choose what is right for them.

Another problem would be to decide which dash to work on, if the teams merge.  No one would want to abandon their dash.  And making a new dash from scratch would be too much work, and will take a long time.

In short, I don't see it happening

My slightly more than 2 cents

Edit: and who are you referring to by 'US' in the title?

This post has been edited by geniusalz: Oct 16 2004, 09:23 PM
Pages: [1] 2