xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: X-selector 0.5  (Read 69 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
X-selector 0.5
« on: June 29, 2003, 04:32:00 PM »

Report bugs here...

X-Selector 0.5

What is it?
  • A dashboard and application selector for your Xbox. Features quick-pick menus, and selectable default dashboard
  • Includes password protection to prevent access (when not booting via the DVD drive)

What's New?

Version 0.5:
  • First release!

Videogamebuyer14

• Archived User
    X-selector 0.5
    « Reply #1 on: June 29, 2003, 06:21:00 PM »

biggrin.gif

bombzhome

• Archived User
    X-selector 0.5
    « Reply #2 on: June 30, 2003, 06:23:00 AM »

biggrin.gif yea nice job Ben... i think u can recall me requesting this...

Sheytan

• Archived User
    X-selector 0.5
    « Reply #3 on: July 01, 2003, 07:05:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
    X-selector 0.5
    « Reply #4 on: July 03, 2003, 12:22:00 PM »

QUOTE (DuggyUK @ Jul 3 2003, 03:41 PM)
    @BJ thanks for this, I was in the original thread ;-)

Works great, Xbox mediaplayer no longer freezes (as i launch via ava) notrmal us e= evox.

only wish would be renaming xbe's currently avaluanch 0.43.6 comes up as "default[" I know they probably got the name wrong in the xbe.

thanks again

Well, there's more work to be done, which is why it's 0.5

I didn't have Avalaunch handy in the dev box (loaded on the other one, which is off the net at the moment), so I didn't have the XBE-ID to work off of.

Ther other thing I'd like to see is a DVD Launch mode for those with DVD check turned off.

trob

• Archived User
    X-selector 0.5
    « Reply #5 on: July 04, 2003, 06:38:00 PM »

Nice work again Ben.

I have had a small issue when rebooting as well.  At times it seems as if selector looses my settings.  I am running a custom 4977 that launches xselector from boot.  At one point when rebooting I could load any app or dash I specified in my dashes.txt except the m$ xboxdash.  I will try to narrow down my issue and provide you with more info.

I am also getting the frame buffer issue when rebooting.  I will also test this and see if it is only apparent rebooting from certain apps.  

Here is a couple of suggestions I would like to offer but they are just my opinion and like corn-holes, everyone has got one.  I think it would be cool if you could provide your own app/dash descriptions in the dashes.txt file.  Also I thing it would be cool to have a graphical button description screen that showed you what apps/dashes you have defined to which buttons (kind of like the help screen in DVD-X).

But regardless if you like my ideas or not once again you have provided us with something no other app can provide.  (I don't know how you have the time to do this).  Thanks and I can't wait to see more from you.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
    X-selector 0.5
    « Reply #6 on: July 05, 2003, 11:29:00 AM »

Well, the graphic corruption is an odd thing.

The Xbox apps have access to a "persistant surface" or the "back Buffer" - both of these are basically places where you can see an image of what was on the creen, but the back buffer is often corrupt.

I always try to get the persistant surface, which is supposed to be valid on startup, but I suspect it isn't always the case (for whatever reason) under certain circumstances. It may require a different way to deal with it (the fallback to the back buffer is probably what you see in the 'graphic corruption') - without that information, I can't display the logo screen at all, because I don't know what's there (the information has been lost at that point) - though logically, it's SOMEWHERE in memory, the system doesn't give me any (simple/direct) way to access it.

I guess the alternative is, when unable to load the persistant surface, to only display a black beckground.