xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Nexgen Please Vote Opensource  (Read 379 times)

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
Nexgen Please Vote Opensource
« on: April 27, 2003, 09:43:00 PM »

I know that people are tired of waiting for a new version of nexgen to be released. Now i dont know what the story behind this long wait is, but I And Other want for nexgen to go Open source so other people can start codding it. Now your going 2 say but we put so much hard work into it. Well just take a look at xbox meadia player from the time its gone open source it has became 1 of the mostly used software on xbox. People might say look there are going to be so many different version of nexgen & shit like that, well i think u can tell the difference of the original nexgen & a rip of it. There are plenty of talented xbox coders out there that prob would want to help out with this project as it has alot of potential the only thing is it cant be delayed much longer as people are going 2 slowly loose intrest in the project. There is already a new dash in the scene even tho I personly dont use it. Im proud 2 say that i got nexgen as my default dash. But its time for an upgrade if you dont have time to work on the dash just make it open source asap so people that do have time can try 2 improve the dash not just for them selves but for the people. Im not trying 2 flame the coders of nexgen but it will be ashame to see a project with such big potentials die out. Who ever has the source of nexgen Please take this in concideration & do realease the source on sourceforge or something asap.

Harry

I want people to post there coments & what else they want done.

thetruethugg

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2003, 09:48:00 PM »

and, to possibly reserve the originalness, only release the CODE, not the 3d models and other crap of that sort..

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2003, 09:57:00 PM »

Yeah Another exampe of a decent dash open source I tried MXM out 2day for the first time & i liked it with the ability 2 play my songs off the hdd & 2 load the titleimages.xbx files ect. I hoping we get alot of post so the coders of nexgen can take in consideartion on what we want them 2 do.

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2003, 10:12:00 PM »

OK this is what kanadakid & i have done. We have created a chat room on efnet called #xboxopensource
In this room people can come in & talk & find ways how they can make there software opensource & contribute in helping code opensource projects for the xbox.

Now dont think the room is not good if its not big remember all rooms start of small they just need support in growing. If the room is a success we will load up a ftp server & file servers that will only host open source code for example xbox midea player MXM & what ever else is open source so people please join this room support us & u never know what the outcome might be.

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2003, 10:48:00 PM »

IM not demanding yet mearly asking for something if it posibly can be done

excuse my spelling as im not going 2 sit infront of a dictionary looking up gramma

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2003, 05:36:00 AM »

Ok ill be patient but i dont understand why there is no news or updates on it come on 3 min off codding a week is not that hard the people need 2 have an asurance that the project is not dead.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2003, 06:44:00 AM »

QUOTE (HoRnEyDvL @ Apr 28 2003, 09:36 AM)
Ok ill be patient but i dont understand why there is no news or updates on it come on 3 min off codding a week is not that hard the people need 2 have an asurance that the project is not dead.

Just e-mail Undead and ask about it.

The truth is, the first release of neXgen was a bad experience for the original team, and the new crew doesn't want to repeat the situation by even letting out an inkling of hype.

I can understand, and even support their decision.

Heet

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2003, 08:50:00 AM »

Why a bad experience?  I thought the Christmas release was great.  So why the bad feelings?  Because some of us complained like kids (me included) and forgot that we were priveledged in getting a homebrew dash?  Man I hope Exit and the others didnt take all of us bellyachers seriously and I apologize for any negative comments that Ive made.....I still think the dash rox even though it has some shortcomings.  XBMP has never been perfect but Im sure everyone would agree that it kicks ass as well.....

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2003, 09:04:00 AM »

QUOTE (Heet @ Apr 29 2003, 12:50 PM)
Why a bad experience?  I thought the Christmas release was great.  So why the bad feelings?  Because some of us complained like kids (me included) and forgot that we were priveledged in getting a homebrew dash?  Man I hope Exit and the others didnt take all of us bellyachers seriously and I apologize for any negative comments that Ive made.....I still think the dash rox even though it has some shortcomings.  XBMP has never been perfect but Im sure everyone would agree that it kicks ass as well.....

Well, actually, yeah... some of the criticism was honest, but there was also a contingent of Evo-X fanboys who felt their turf threatened, and Matrix fanboys who didn't like the ties to Team Xecutor (and that lead to the Evo-X/Team Xodus alliance and the lame "Matrix Inside" plug).

So ExitWound and co. took their ball and went home... can you blame them?

They got stung, because there were great expectations for the program, and the vitriol was at a fever pitch from some quarters. When/if they decided to come back, it was going to be radio silence until they were ready to emerge with a good release.

Unfortunately, the project languished until Team Assembly decided to get involved.

Like I said, there seems to be a lot of things brewing. I have an idea what is going on, but I can't reveal it (wouldn't if I knew for sure, but I don't know for sure anyway, and wouldn't want to spark hype based on my  speculation). Except for Evo-X's "big" release, LOL, the scene's been very quite from the two 'big' dashboard teams. Team Xecutor has been pushing to get neXgen goung, possibly as a partner with whatever big BIOS developments are coming down the pipe from them... Makes you wonder what's brewing, doesn't it?