xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Nexgen Icons Xml Problem  (Read 126 times)

nfmus

• Archived User
Nexgen Icons Xml Problem
« on: January 11, 2003, 05:52:00 AM »

They have to be put into their corresponding udata folder on E: in order to be recognized.

Tweek

• Archived User
Nexgen Icons Xml Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 12:23:00 AM »

I actually 'got' the icons from the corresponding udata folders on the E:\ Drive so I'm making the assumption that they are there already!!

Do you mean that I have to point the XML pictures link code to there?

Thanks

• Archived User
Nexgen Icons Xml Problem
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2003, 01:05:00 PM »

Don't the images have to be called "TitleImage.xbx?"  Try putting the images into separate folders and renaming them all to that and see if it works.  Just a suggestion.  BTW, how did you find out which folder in e:\udata corresponded to which game?  They're all just numbers....

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Nexgen Icons Xml Problem
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2003, 02:54:00 PM »

:::sigh::: there's a reason for this.

Each number corresponds to an application's unique ID. When launching, the system sets up a "T:" and "U:" drive using a folder from each of the UDATA and TDATA directories.

TitleImage.xbx is a standard thing for the Xbox, it is used by the M$ dashboard to display during the savegame manipulations. This is why Nexgen uses it, and why you shouldn't move them. NeXgen should be able to find them fine if you leave them where they belong.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Nexgen Icons Xml Problem
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2003, 08:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (420247 @ Jan 16 2003, 11:33 PM)
Ok, here's what I did and it worked.  I don't use the search function, because the games aren't in alphabetical order.  I disabled the search paths, then setup my xml to look for the games manually.  I used XBox Saves Manager to find out which folder in UDATA corresponds to which game.  Then, I just told the xml to look for the TitleImage.xbx in that particular folder.  Here's an example:

<item text="Halo" icon="E:\UDATA\4d530004\TitleImage.xbx" xbe="F:\games\Halo\default.xbe"/>

The only game who's icon doesn't show up is Hunter: The Reckoning.  I have tried also using TitleMeta.xbx and saveimage.xbx for it, but none of them work.

P.S. What is the program called that will convert a standard jpg image to an xbx?  I want to make icons for my apps and emus.

Well, the ONLY file that contains a valid image file is TitleImage.xbx... if the game doesn't have one, the other files will not help.

TitleImage.xbx is a packed resource file. Anybody with an XDK can make one. Basically, you take a 128x128 bitmap (assuming only a circular image is visible in the square) and create an *.rdf file:

Texture MyTex
{
  Source TitleImage.bmp
  Format D3DFMT_DXT1
  Width 128
  Height 128
}

The XDK will runthe "bundler" on this file and create an XPR file, which can be renamed "TitleImage.xbx" and copied into the correct directory.

SSChevy2001

• Archived User
Nexgen Icons Xml Problem
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 11:43:00 AM »

NBA Inside Drive 2002 Icon also not working,  but I made my own icon from the cover of the game.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Nexgen Icons Xml Problem
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 12:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (420247 @ Jan 17 2003, 01:09 PM)
It's weird because if I go to my M$ dash and check my saved games, Hunter has a picture.  Too bad it won't show up in neXgen.

It's a puzzle over at the other forums, as well.

Perhaps the doco is incorrect in the XDK with regards to the possible format of the icon?

HoRnEyDvL

• Administrator
Nexgen Icons Xml Problem
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2003, 05:06:00 AM »

u can use image to xbx converter it can be downloaded from http://volure.zapto.org

smudge

• Archived User
Nexgen Icons Xml Problem
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2003, 11:37:00 AM »

QUOTE (420247 @ Jan 17 2003, 04:33 AM)
What is the program called that will convert a standard jpg image to an xbx?  I want to make icons for my apps and emus.

There is a utility for generating .xbx images directly without patching/renaming. Click HERE

>>>>Just installed neXgen OVER evox.. very impressed!  cool.gif  <<<<