xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tutorial For Converting Avi's To Wmv8  (Read 127 times)

cwhiteh2

• Archived User
Tutorial For Converting Avi's To Wmv8
« on: February 15, 2005, 06:59:00 PM »

Anybody got a tutorial on how to convert an avi into wmv8 when I have already upgraded to wmp10 and dl'd service pack 2?

thanks

cwhiteh2

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 08:47:00 PM »

i get errors..and the program closes...
wish ux would upgrade to wmv9 files

Perplexer

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 10:40:00 AM »

Yes, I can confirm.  There is no reason that WMV8 Encoder wouldn't work with XP SP2 and WMP10.

I'm running WMP10 (not really by choice) under WinXP SP2, and just this morning I encoded a WMV8 file which plays perfectly in UnleashX.

cwhiteh2

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 02:27:00 PM »

Okay when I use video edit magic and set the video compressor to wmv8encoder dmo it gives an error after I start encoding that says use diff compression.

when I use windows media 8 encoder utility it gives me an MS error ( with the data error report...send or not send)

when I try to use the wm8eutil.exe from cmd line it just pops up progress and then goes to error report...

it's probably something wrong with my system..any ideas on how to start over???

smashly

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2005, 06:12:00 AM »

it's probably something wrong with my system..any ideas on how to start over???

That's a tricky one , for me when windows goes screwy I wipe it out and start again.

I usually dissble error reporting and I usually check event viewer on regular occassions for software/hardware/security issues , from there I get the error code and description , then I use ms/google/tech forums to see if others are having or had the same error codes and what they actually mean. From there I'll decide what is my best action to resolve.
I also check for new services added into Service manager , often I install some pos piece of software that adds a new service or enables services that I've dissabled. (sounds irrellivent but sometimes helps in the big picture of what's going on)

When I find it's just beyond me on how to resolve fixing, wiping windows out and reinstalling usually gets me around the issues. Drastic but sometimes needed.

From what you've said so far it's still hard to pin point exactly why it's going wrong for you and how you should resolve your issue.

What I've said is maybe not helpful , but I was bored at work and got carried away typing. (as usual)

Good Luck