xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need A Little Help With Tabs And Config.xml  (Read 373 times)

Heimdall

• Archived User
Need A Little Help With Tabs And Config.xml
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »

Things that might cause you problems if you don't have shadow C:

- running any live enabled game and starting to log in to live. The first thing the game does is check the dash version, then update the dash - overwriting the softmod.
- just running some games (e.g. Topspin) from the DVD drive causes a forced dash update
- Any inadvertent copying, renaming or deleting of any of the softmod files on the C partition.

The problem with the last one is that anyone who uses the Xbox could inadvertently copy, rename or delete the wrong file, just by pressing a few wrong buttons - it doesn't need to be deliberate. smile.gif

I don't have a downer on SID 3.1, but it doesn't offer shadow C protection, and it's been superseded by other, newer softmods, including newer versions of SID.

Heimdall

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(fallenangle @ Aug 27 2010, 05:29 PM) View Post
but if I have the misfortune to come across any others which try the same trick won't my Mod/C-Drive Backup resolve the problem

No, because your Xbox will no longer be modded, so you won't be able to get access to the hard drive to restore the backup - you will need to run the exploitable game again, and reload the exploited gamesave in order to get FTP or file manager access.

fallenangle

• Recovered User
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 03:47:00 PM »

Well I'll just have to be careful then not to click on the Xbox Live option. Now you've told me it's that easy I'll be more wary when starting up a game. But I've been using that 'parent' softmodded machine for games playing for over a year and two others more occasionally for six months. No mishaps so far, thankfully.

If it does happen I have kept the installer/SC exploit saves on the HDD of all my Xboxes (as recommended by either you or Bomb Bloke earlier) and my copy of Splinter Cell standing by. So I hope I'll be OK but if it does happen it might be interesting trying to sort it out.        

Thanks for the advice.
Pages: 1 [2]