xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Unleashx & Xbmc - Play Everything Except Dvdmovies  (Read 66 times)

vishnu2k

• Archived User
Unleashx & Xbmc - Play Everything Except Dvdmovies
« on: December 24, 2004, 09:18:00 AM »

:(
I am a newbie.. So, pl do not blast me off if this is a very simple issue.

I soft-modded my XBOX and I have UnleashX dashboard.

I have a  question and a problem.

1) How do I know the version number of UnleashX. How do I download the lastest UnleashX executables?

2) I have UnleashX and XBMC. Still, my XBOX doesnt play DVD-movies. XBMC plays everything else (DIVX, WMV....) .. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong.  Also, how do I find out if the bios is modified in my XBOX?

Sorry for asking too many qs.

It would be great if ppl could help me with all this.

Thanks

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2004, 09:26:00 AM »

Check out DVD2X or what ever its called. Its a proper dvd player that doesnt require remote.

jonathan2007

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 09:39:00 AM »

Hello and welcome to X-S.

1) I am not really sure how to tell the version number but I guess once you get to the unleashx version that has autoupdate you won't need to worry about version numbers too much. To download unleashx go here. That is a tutorial on how to download things from xbins (also known as the usual places. You will need an IRC client such as MIRC and an FTP client such as FlashFXP.

2) The M$ dashboard will never play your dvd's unless you have a dvd dongle and remote. But there are other apps that play dvd's such as DVDX2 and XBMC. If you want to play dvd's in XBMC (be warned that the menu for the dvd doesn't always play quite right) goto my videos and then goto play dvd on the side. In DVD2 it is pretty straightforward. You can get DVDX2 off of xbins also. And you can also get XMC either from certain torrent sites or from xbins XBMC compiled server.

Good luck and post back if you need more help. Merry Christmas.  smile.gif

vishnu2k

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 10:05:00 AM »

Thanks for your help - Jonathan & bucko..

But, I already have a dvd dongle and remote. Before I soft-modded (when I mean soft-modded, my friends and I removed the IDE cable from the XBOX HD when XBOX booted up and connected it to a PC .. and then we transferred UnleashX to the XBOX HD and renamed the unleashx executable as default.XBE in C: .. Thats it) my XBOX was able to play DVD-movies.

Now, after soft-modding, it plays all other video and audio formats & files, except DVD-movies :)

Does this problem sound familiar? Or am I being really stupid here? :)

"If you want to play dvd's in XBMC (be warned that the menu for the dvd doesn't always play quite right) goto my videos and then goto play dvd on the side" - I did this and still the DVD-movies won't play. I have tried this on 2-3 DVDs.. still things wont work.

Please do let me know what is to be done here.

Thanks for all ur help guys..

Merry christmas!

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 03:23:00 PM »

1.  while unleashx is on your screen, press the Y button on the gamepad.  the system info window will appear.  scroll down to almost the very bottom.  the unleashx version is on one of those lines.

2.  from what you described, your xbox is indeed soft-modded.  the soft-mod was installed using the 'hotswap' method of connecting your xbox hard-disk drive (hdd) to your PC.  if your xbox boots directly into unleashx or any other app besides the ms dashboard, then your ms dashboard executable has been renamed.  it's original name was xboxdash.xbe.  now some other executable is using that name and you must determine what the current name of the ms dashboard is.  it is most likely something like 'msxboxdash.xbe' or 'xb0xdash.xbe' or something similar.  if you want to use the ms dash to play dvds and you want to be able to do it from the 'Launch DVD' item in your unleashx menu, you must configure unleashx to launch the 'true' ms dashboard instead of xboxdash.xbe.  you do this configuring in the 'Autolaunch' section of the Control Panel (system, settings from the menu).  in the Autolaunch section, you need to set 'DVD Player' to the new path/filename of the ms dashboard.  save. exit. maybe even reboot.  after that, if you have set the path/filename to the correct xbe, you will be able to 'Launch DVD' from your UX menu and the dvd will play.
others have recommended using dvd2x as a dvd player.  it is a fine dvd player also.  if you choose to use that, the steps above apply as well.  instead of pointing 'DVD Player' to the ms dashboard executable (xbe), you will need to point it to the path/filename of dvdx2.
the previously mentioned method for playing dvds from xbmc may or may not work depending on how xbmc is configured.  for help with that, please go to the xbmc forum.

3. (how to tell if your bios is modified)
a lack of standard terminology makes this a little confusing.  when you get a new xbox (that is not modded) you are running off what i call a MS/retail bios.  if you mod your xbox to use some other bios, you are using what i'd like to call a 3rd party bios.  if you edit a 3rd party bios, then you are using a modified 3rd party bios.  obviously, you are using a 3rd party bios if you boot into anything other than the ms dashboard (like booting into unleashx).  determining whether or not it is a modified 3rd party bios would take alot more typing and guess-work on both our parts.  modified or not, it has no bearing on your ability to play dvds.