xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Installing Ux On A Freshly Modded Box?  (Read 159 times)

ORGANIC_PEPSI

• Archived User
Installing Ux On A Freshly Modded Box?
« on: August 20, 2004, 05:54:00 AM »

wink.gif >copy all your unleash x files in to ur evox(C:\or ,F:\ )directory.rename evox.xbe to something else(evoox)rename ux(default xbe) xbe file to evox.xbe.reboot smile.gif

RudeBastard

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 10:30:00 PM »

wink.gif  Just skip that step.

Burn a boot CD with UX files.  You can make UX the booting program on the CD.  Use the UX filemanager to copy UX default.xbe to C:\  Rename default.xbe to evoxdash.xbe.  Eject CD and reboot.  Voila!

This works because most bios (including 4981) first looks for D:\default.xbe to boot.  After that, it starts looking on the C:\ drive.  They usually look for the following files in the following order:

evoxdash.xbe
avalaunch.xbe
mxmdash.xbe
nexgen.xbe
etc.

The first one it finds is the first one it loads.

Boshin

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 02:16:00 AM »

What happens when you add formatting of the drive to the equation? I still need to make backup of the C:\ and E:\ drives, right?

So if I do it like this:

- burn UX files on a bootable cd
- boot xbox with it, ftp to it and copy contents of C:\ and E:\ folders to pc
- format the retail hdd, reboot
- boot xbox with bootcd, copy over UX files to C:\ (renamed to evoxdash)

all should be ok, right?

Is there anything on the xbox's C:\ drive that needs to be returned after formatting?

Just to make sure, I won't have to do any locking/unlocking of the drive since I'm using retail hdd?

RudeBastard

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 05:11:00 AM »

Is there anything on the xbox's C:\ drive that needs to be returned after formatting?

YES!  Everything needs to be returned.  But why are you formatting?! laugh.gif

Burn a boot CD with UX files. You can make UX the booting program on the CD. Use the UX filemanager to copy UX default.xbe to C:\ Rename default.xbe to evoxdash.xbe. Eject CD and reboot. Voila!

That's it man!  That's all you need to do.  It's that simple.  Formatting is not neccessary laugh.gif

RudeBastard

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 05:15:00 AM »

Uh, let me add this...

There's absolutely no reason to format C or E.  Leave them alone.  How big is your retail HDD?  some are 8gig and some are 10gig, but only 8gig is used.  if you have a 10gig, then you will want to format F, but only F and only if it has not already been formatted.

Boshin

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 05:45:00 AM »

Don't know the size of the hdd yet. So you can just install every piece of software you need on C:\ ? I thought you needed to format the hdd to get a F-partition into where you could install software.

In other words I don't necessarily need to transfer anything to my pc for safekeeping since I'm not changing the retail hdd?

Thank you for your guidance

rdeal

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 11:41:00 AM »

you put the dash on C but any apps of stuff you put them on E...coz C is only about 370mb where as E is 4gb+

RudeBastard

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 01:11:00 PM »

If you have a 10gig drive, you want to format F, not the whole drive.  As rdeal just stated, the C partition is very small so most people only put their dashboard there.

You can install your other programs on E, but if you have a 10gig, I would format F and install your apps there.  Apps/Programs aren't usually that big when compared to Games.  Putting them on F leaves you enough room to copy one game to your E drive.  But it's up to your preference where to put things.

It is a very good idea to backup your C and E before you start messing around with stuff, but it's not neccessary.  I would get UX installed and booting from HDD first, then use FTP to backup.  Just don't delete anything until you have backed up.

POPEYE1716

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2004, 12:15:00 PM »

When i do all the copying and stuff it goes straight to the E:\ Games any suggestions would be help full

SUBLOGIC

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 01:02:00 AM »

Ghange is so it goes somewhere else instead of E:   that simple!