xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Unleashx Fragged My Bios  (Read 112 times)

Master-Chief

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« on: March 09, 2004, 04:31:00 PM »

wink.gif

Actually, why don't you just switch BIOS banks (unless you flashed it with a 1MB BIOS)

Master-Chief

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 05:06:00 PM »

QUOTE (unleashx @ Mar 9 2004, 09:34 PM)
BIOS is not (yet) an UnleashX thing. It doesn't even try to detect what you have in there. The closest thing it will get to the BIOS is by detecting the type of chip you got, but it's not even querying what's inside it.

You can do anything with UnleashX but from the first to the latest release, you can't mess your BIOS and EEPROM with it. The worst you could do with it is delete system files, that's about it.

Bottom line: THERE IS NOT a single line of code that writes anything into the BIOS nor the EEPROM chip. You can take my word for it, I wrote the code, I control all stuff, and trust me, I haven't even gotten to backing up the EEPROM yet, much more the BIOS thing.

That's what I was thinking too...

How could you possible blame a frag (BIOS/Modchip issue) on UnleashX (a dashboard). I mean the worst that could happen is an Error 21 and thats if you named your default dash something OTHER than what its supposed to be in your BIOS!  rolleyes.gif

pdottz

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 05:39:00 PM »

the drive in my xbox is not lockable and I can load up the msdashboard fine.

clsmith42

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 07:53:00 PM »

I am not saying that I know for certain that Unleash is responsible for whatever happened here, all I know is that I have had a perfectly stable modded box for 6 months and now it all of a sudden shits the bed.  

As far as locking the HD, it was working fine before and it was unlocked.  All I get is flubber/MS intro screen and then the black screen, wash, rinse, repeat. That is with my chip enabled, without it enabled I get flubber/MS intro followed by the Error Code screen of 1000 languages.  

I will buy off that it is not the bios that was corrupted by Unleash but then what happened?  I only think the bios due to the fact that I can't boot from the DVD and it is my assumption that if it is a corrupt HD I would still be able to boot from the DVD.   I don't know enough to say if my problem is a corrupted file but I would assume that something as simple as that I would still be able to boot the DVD?!!  Right?

Unfortunately I flashed with a 1 MB bios at the time, as near as I can tell from various sources (someone correct me if I am wrong)  Executer 2.2 Lite has to use a 1024k bios or can you use 2 x 512k bios one on each bank?  

If I can do a dual bios I will keep cromwell on one bank and M7 or the latest Xecuter bios on the other, to hopefully aleviate the issue in the future.

If it is a corrupted HD file then I am SOL and will reformat as neccessary.  I have a x2 programmer being shipped next day air and will probably work on this issue on friday.  

Thanks for all of the good responses.

BTW, from what I saw of it Unleash is pretty sweet and it offers a lot more options over Evo...

unleashx

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 08:37:00 PM »

Try switching bank and see if that will help. FRAG and 3x reboot usually means a BIOS issue. I would also check the soldering just to rule it out. Check Pins 2 and 9 as those pins is usually harder to solder than the others, use flux if necessary.

What BIOS are you using by the way and what xbox version do you have? I presume Evox is still the main dash in drive C?

pSyCo

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 10:12:00 PM »

Umm...

Am I the only one who notices something here...

His xbox boots.... i mean, the BIOS does. Because whenever i've seen an xbox frag (every time being my own doing of course...) i have never once seen the flubber/logo when booting if the bios is fubared ... period. It's booting duder, it's a dash problem. And not booting from dvd.... what bios are you using? didn't old X2 bios' not boot dvd at boot?

unleashx

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 10:24:00 PM »

Good catch there pSyCo, yes, if it's a BIOS problem, he won't be able to see the flubber and logo. Funny thing is he also mentions about the 3x reboot, something just don't add up here.

grebulon

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 10:25:00 PM »

Is it possible that the dash switched video mode, but the TV is incompatible. So the TV display just got locked, but everything is still working?
Just a thought.

BloodyMary

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 07:19:00 AM »

Number 1.. your issue is certainly not related to UnleashX or unleashx either one... so why this is posted in here is weird... and the title.. 'UnleashX Fragged My Bios' certainly makes it sound like you are trying to slam UnleashX and unleashx for something that is more then likely a harddrive/file/filesystem issue.  I'd be willing to help you with your problem.. but based on how you posted your topic I don't think I want to...

-FourDoor-

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 08:21:00 AM »

With all that aside, the guy still has an xbrick on his hands. So I'll be the nice guy here and try to help out as much as I can.

1. Have you attempted to load a boot disk like Slayers in your DVD drive?
2. If you can't load up a boot disk then it is most likely a BIOS/modchip issue.
3. Once you have your chip reprogrammed (x2_4981 preferred), of course you're gonna check to see if it boots into your HDD first. If it doesn't boot into your hdd, then check to see if it again boots into the DVD. If both don't work, then its most likely a modchip issue so don't lose hope and reformat your hdd. With your hdd being unlocked, you can drop that hdd into any modded xbox.

DenOfEarth

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 12:02:00 PM »

smile.gif ) DenOfEarth = clsmith42

I didn't mean for the subject line to be a slam on UnleashX but rather an attention getter... I thought that was the point?!  I also at the time didn't have any clue what Uleash did and did not make changes to.  I also don't think it is unreasonable for the layman to assume that "fan speed" and other settings are hardware options (possibly written in the bios).

Also to clear the air... the other thread was written and posted at EXACLTY the same time as the one in this forum and was only meant to generate Xecuter related ideas to what was going on and the possible interaction the dash might have had with the chip.  

All of this is mostly irrelevant.  

I appreciate all of the good posts and ideas.  If I made the mistake of placing them in the wrong category I apoligize.  

FourDoor

> I have tried the Slayers disk and it is no joy.  I will go with the reprogram and if that doesn't work I will get my hands on another chip b/c I think what you said makes sense.  Plus I would really hate to lose the data on the HD.

Thanks

the joker

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 01:17:00 PM »

Evox can mess up you BIOS and so can Avalaunch.

No - avalanch does not contain any BIOS code, the only avalaunch builds with bios code has been internally.

And no - blaming the dashboard for everything that goes wrong on an xbox is very simple since it's the program that always is being run. Sometimes it's the case, but in most cases it's the opposite.

only programs on the xbox capable of messing with bios :

flashx
xflash
evox
raincoat

any other program just doesn't have the code. I guarantee that the problem is not in uX.

heinrich

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 01:49:00 PM »

Furthermore, yes, evox can fail, something can go wrong, but more often than not, it's user error, and you have to actually tell evox to flash the bios, it doesn't just happen.

DenOfEarth

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 03:46:00 PM »

QUOTE (lotw @ Mar 11 2004, 12:12 AM)
On the X2 chips, like the X2 v2.3 Lite Plus I have in mine I learned to only flash 512k of it, that way if my BIOS gets messed up or I flash it wrong I can still flash thanks to the other bank that I didn't mess with.  I have reflashed mine several time, testing out the Evox M7 or X2 4879, and now running the X2 4981.

That is the plan when I get my programmer... it should arrive tommorow!

unleashx

• Archived User
Unleashx Fragged My Bios
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 05:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (heinrich @ Mar 11 2004, 06:49 AM)

Furthermore, yes, evox can fail, something can go wrong, but more often than not, it's user error, and you have to actually tell evox to flash the bios, it doesn't just happen.

I agree. And like I said -Guns don't kill, people do. Maybe a bad analogy, but you get the gist.

And yeah, I don't think AvaLaunch has the code either, as just confirmed by the joker
Pages: [1] 2