xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Sneak Peek  (Read 374 times)

pdottz

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« on: February 19, 2004, 04:22:00 AM »

nice.
i tried this default in the unofficial ux and I think it's awesome the way the menu scrolls   smile.gif

crobar

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 08:33:00 AM »

niiiiiiiiice
can you controll the arch?

crobar

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 09:20:00 AM »

will this manu  have the "smooth scrolling" ability? *edit*duh it says it above!? blink.gif
i would imagine not, but it would be sweet if the text could travel from point one to point 2...even if distant from one another
or then....it would be sweeter if you could change size and color from position to position...

any hooo very cool as is cant wait for the next release!!!

MissSplitch

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »

SHIT!

This is in the skin spec, isn't it.

Now I gotta rewrite the whole menu system.

I'm gonna need to know stuff like max items, full attributes, and all that.

MissSplitch

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 09:37:00 AM »

user posted image

As you can see by the menucentrics area at the right, the current menu system was easy to do, since it was just a box with attributes. Now I have many questions as to how it will work.

What is the maximum number of menu items?

Are the items static, or are the coordinates really just defining an area/style that a particular slot takes up, and when you scroll through the menu, whatever item passes through that slot takes on those attributes?

Do the items move, like the MS Dash does, or do they remain at their defined locations?

MissSplitch

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 09:46:00 AM »

The text doesn't actually travel from point to point, it just changes from slot to slot, right?

Dunny

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 09:47:00 AM »

brilliant idea, gives skinners added possibilities. smile.gif

MissSplitch

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 09:49:00 AM »

I see that the itempositions have closing tags; nothing can go between them, correct?

ie: <itempos attributes>TEXT HERE YADDAYADDA</itempos>

as the itempositions only define where the config loads the menu from, correct?

Also, why "horizontal?" wouldn't the default menustyle be vertical?

MissSplitch

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 09:55:00 AM »

I don't understand where it says the itempos tags can be combined with any other tags. What other tags would there be?

What are all the possible attributes of each itempos? It would be easiest to have the skinner write the maximum amount of attributes for each itempos tag.

unleashx

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 09:56:00 AM »

Here's a sample of how the horizontal would look like:
user posted image
Don't mind the look, it's my test skin

Another sneak peak, just did this a while back. Even the beta testers don't have this yet.
Context Menu (Start Button)
user posted image
I'll expand the context menu farther to include a few more actions. The third option is for multigame DVD mode. It allows you to copy individual games.

Game Info (applicable to all menu items)
user posted image

Don't mind the video, yeah, it's DOAX while the game is RainbowSix. It ain't a bug, I'm just using it as the preview vid. rolleyes.gif

MissSplitch

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 09:58:00 AM »

ItemPos tags are indexed by creation order, right? And if I were to only use, let's say 1 itempos tag, that would define the whole menu, right? So I would basically just have a single item that changed when I hit the dpad.

Ironically, this is like a feature I was wondering if MXM could do back in the day, and was a bit peeved that it couldn't. Now that UX can do it (or something similar anyway) it's a bit nerve-wracking, as I now have to throw out a ton of questions.

unleashx

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »

QUOTE (MissSplitch @ Feb 20 2004, 02:58 AM)
ItemPos tags are indexed by creation order, right? And if I were to only use, let's say 1 itempos tag, that would define the whole menu, right? So I would basically just have a single item that changed when I hit the dpad.

Ironically, this is like a feature I was wondering if MXM could do back in the day, and was a bit peeved that it couldn't. Now that UX can do it (or something similar anyway) it's a bit nerve-wracking, as I now have to throw out a ton of questions.

Yes, that's true. Whatever is the smaller number, will prevail. If you put only a single ItemPos, then only one will show up. If you put in 20, but the available menu items are only 12, then of course, only 12 items will show up.

MissSplitch

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 10:04:00 AM »

OK, I get you now on the whoel horizontal thing, I wasn't thinking about a bar-style menu at the time; the documentation clip you gave didn't clarify it enough (I just woke up.)

Please tell me the context menus are a function of the engine, and in no way defined by the skins.

MissSplitch

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 10:16:00 AM »

OK.

I guess what I'll have to do is add another tab down there with images/shapes/text for menucentrics.

X,Y,Width,Alignment

are the only attributes itempos needs, and the max attributes for it anyway, correct? And if I supply a width of 0, does the itemwidth auto-grow to fit the text?

MissSplitch

• Archived User
Sneak Peek
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 10:23:00 AM »

Also, what if I have this box:

X:0,Y:0,W:100,H:500

And have the Horizontal set to True? The box is clearly vertical. What would th engine do, stack a vertical menu, then put an arrow at the top left/bottom right, and make the scrolling keys left/right instead of up/down? Or would it just ignore the horizontal? When you set it to horizontal does it ignore the height option, and just go with width?
Pages: [1] 2 3