xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Unleashx Source  (Read 608 times)

unleashx

• Archived User
Unleashx Source
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2003, 10:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (freakpie @ Dec 19 2003, 07:34 AM)
@unleashx:

<seriously>
 Pal, I don't know you (possibly nobody in xbscene, btw) but it whas not my intention to offend you in any way by thinking of UnleashX (the project) going OS... Really sorry if I did!
</seriously>

I'm not offended. It was my intention to come to the office and once and for all give my view on this sensitive topic. But a couple of dickheads got the better of me and made me loose my train of thoughts. I'll post my view when I'm ready, for now, I have to deal with a couple of kiddies.

And please stop all this bickering. It's your belief againts someone else's, please respect that. That goes not just for you but for everyone else as well. I wouldn't want anyone to disrespect me either after I've poured my view.

phigmeta

• Archived User
Unleashx Source
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2003, 10:43:00 PM »

well I would like to just say ... nice work on this dash. Hey guys no hard feelings ... and yes sometimes i do think all large projects are doomed but that may just be the most recent involvment in my latest projects .... sometimes we should leave work at work.

Honestly I havn't gotten a solid look at unleashx but from what i have seen its seems very solid for a beta realese (a hell of a lot more that dogfood releases have been for most)

i was kind of curious if you will do a plugin-based approach considering the tend XBOX apps have been going lately .... i would really like to see a dash have this kind of ability.

i will certainly take a nice long look at it over the vacation..... but none the less its good to see the new options out there.

oh and for an example of what not to do in the OS world

http://www.go-mono.com/

freakpie

• Archived User
Unleashx Source
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2003, 11:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (phigmeta @ Dec 19 2003, 08:43 AM)
oh and for an example of what not to do in the OS world

http://www.go-mono.com/

oh and for another example of what not to do in the OS world

http://www.theage.co...1337072117.html

They shouldn't fix things they're not supossed to, dammit! laugh.gif

Sorry again for the OT...

@unleashx

Your opinion about releasing or not UnleashX' source code is not only going to be respected (a least by me) by will be also supported in every way. Its *your* choice! (as it was develop this cool app in the first place)

Thanks again for your time and efforts! beerchug.gif

geniusalz

• Archived User
Unleashx Source
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2003, 11:46:00 PM »

Back to the original(?) topic.

I thought the issue here was whether to release the sources, not to recruit more devs.  More devs = spaghetti code, releasing sources for those interested is not.

So UnleashX, whenever you feel ready to release sources, please do so, and if not, then blah

phigmeta

• Archived User
Unleashx Source
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2003, 11:29:00 PM »

Yes  well I will admit that is one of the primary reasons I became an PM. I turned out to be a much better architect than a coder. I will concede that I have had nothing but bad experiances with OSS but I stand behind my statement. And on that I ask you .... name a large project that is pure OSS that has been a good result.

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
Unleashx Source
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2003, 08:03:00 AM »

QUOTE (phigmeta @ Dec 22 2003, 09:29 AM)
Yes  well I will admit that is one of the primary reasons I became an PM. I turned out to be a much better architect than a coder. I will concede that I have had nothing but bad experiances with OSS but I stand behind my statement. And on that I ask you .... name a large project that is pure OSS that has been a good result.

The obvious answer to this question would be, of course, Linux. Unless you think that something has to have a pretty GUI or be user-friendly to be considered.

Large Dopant white

• Archived User
Unleashx Source
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2003, 01:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (freakpie @ Dec 22 2003, 09:38 PM)
PS: Where were you working at? I'm still waiting to know where that (now famous) "one of the worlds LARGEST linux installation" was being migrated into w2k3 (quite silently btw, given the latest MS propaganda standards)

On that note.... I hope he understands that most of the more powerful computing systems in the world use Linux (or a Unix derivative, at least), if only because the clustering 'standard' has been worked on so much on that OS.

freakpie

• Archived User
Unleashx Source
« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2003, 07:50:00 AM »

QUOTE (Nailed @ Dec 24 2003, 12:39 AM)
Great list of software, freakpie.

Mostly the software I use on a daily basis! biggrin.gif

flat235

• Archived User
Unleashx Source
« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2003, 02:44:00 PM »

I'm an XBox homebrew developer - and I dont use open source. I'm also a PC developer - and I dont use open source there either... why? Because I *DONT WANT TO *... Remember - "It's all about choice"... Ask the devs to release the source - fine.. Bitch at them when they say no - wrong.

Also, whoever said that the GPL is not enforcable on code which can only be compiled on the XDK is talking out of his ass - its the *code* which is GPL'd .. compiler / platform has nothing to do with it.. As I seem to spend a long time telling people, homebrew Xbox *code* is not, and will never be, illegal... You should learn that...

As to OSS.. I don't use it, because I like to have control of my code - it's more than just a piece of C code - it ties into an online mesh of other users. Handing the code out to everyone would certainly produce some good results - some ppl would undoubtedly make some good variations on what ive done, but countless assholes would also make bad code, which could potentially "fuck with my shit".. Thats the first reason..

Secondly, I dont like the linux community.. they're a bunch of self-righteous, ignorant children - who have little idea about how code development happens in the "real world" ™ .. I use lots of apps here... sometimes they go wrong... but, I paid for them - so I can go and bitch at someone - because ive given them my money - so they have to fix it.. simple... with OSS, the usual response is "well fix it yourself then". Either that or I wait for some 14 yr old schoolkid, 5000 miles away to find the 15 mins he needs to turn a == into a != to allow my whole project to start working again...

Sorry guys, I'd rather buy it, at least I have a reason to bitch then.. Either that, or write the whole thing myself - which I do, every single day...

TD

hydraulix

• Archived User
Unleashx Source
« Reply #69 on: December 28, 2003, 02:47:00 PM »

Secondly, I dont like the linux community.. they're a bunch of self-righteous, ignorant children - who have little idea about how code development happens in the "real world" ™

I couldn't have said it better myself.

geniusalz

• Archived User
Unleashx Source
« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2003, 12:05:00 AM »

laugh.gif )

Other than that, everyone should release sources for their free apps.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]