xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Better Than Embedded Thumbnails  (Read 125 times)

kilroy1

• Archived User
Better Than Embedded Thumbnails
« on: November 30, 2003, 11:14:00 AM »

smile.gif

What I think would be even better, would be a means whereby you could upload custom game images. UnleashX would use the custom image, if found, otherwise, default to the embedded image of the game.

Just think, you could upload front & back of the DVD case cover scans. And since I'm lazy, instead of scanning my game covers, I'd just grab images from a website like GameFly.com. Then I'd have the game details, screen shots, etc.

Essentially this idea came to me from using another great program: DVD Profiler from Intervocative Software. (Yes, in addition to 150+ XBox games, I have about 500 DVDs in my video collection -- indeed it is a sickness...).

Don't know if anyone likes this idea, but if you do, then the only hurdle I see is determining how to link the uploaded images to their respective games. Perhaps the covers would be numbered based on the game's unique UPC code?

-Kilroy

hydraulix

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2003, 11:22:00 AM »

I think this is an awesome idea, especially for skinners.

Id love to be able to dump more than one png/jpg into my game directory for skins to take full advantage.

Some skinning tags such as

<gamefront>
<gameback>
<gamedisc>
<gamescreenshot>
<gameicon>

would be incredibly useful in skins where you wanted to show tons of pictures and stats on each game. You could also not only do this for games, but for all apps and media, maybe even folders (F:albums)

It would really be nice to see these instead of the blurry gamesave icon embeded in the xbe's.

kilroy1

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2003, 11:37:00 AM »

wink.gif

-Kilroy

unleashx

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2003, 04:36:00 PM »

Right now, UnleashX uses Icon.png or Icon.jpg for the Alternate Icon (AltIcon attribute in your items.xml). You can put one in the folder where the game resides, then delete items.xml so UnleashX would look for them on the next boot up. Working on making this automated or make it easier, perhaps with a few clicks on the gamepad.

I like the idea of creating a folder for the graphics, though. With this, we can create a, sort of, slideshow running on the background.

I suggested to BenJeremy about supporting a generic name for icons and videos. If we can come up with something, it would be anawesome experience for multi-dash users to see the same icon displays on all dash.

kilroy1, I'm interested to know how long your xbox boot up with 150+games on it.

hydraulix

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2003, 05:05:00 PM »

all great ideas, looking forward to this kinda stuff!!

kilroy1

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2003, 07:12:00 PM »

kilroy1, I'm interested to know how long your xbox boot up with 150+games on it.

Well, I have about 150 games in my collection, but even with a 320GB drive installed (single large F:), I was only able to fit about 120 on it before running into problems. But there's a whole nightmare about that subject over here:

http://forums.xbox-s...T&f=11&t=131463

Anyway, with 120 games loaded, the box boots instantly. I have never seen a boot delay with 1 or 100 games loaded. Not with UnleashX nor with EvoX.

Should I see a delay? Did you think that the tumbnails would slow things down?

-Kilroy

hydraulix

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2003, 07:14:00 PM »

79 games here and no slowdown, the only slowdown i ever see is when I have to rebuild cache in MXM, but after rebuild it boots in a few seconds.

UnleashX is the fastest booting dash ive seen so far.