xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Temperature Only In F  (Read 56 times)

Morglum

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« on: March 29, 2004, 06:36:00 AM »

Ok im new to MXM, infact ive been using it all of 1 day, ive got the newest version and im using Myxomatosis v1 to edit it.

My problem is it will never display the temperature in C, its always in F. Ive even checked my mxm.xml file and in preferances it says

CODE
True

Which should make it show in  C right? Well it doesnt  sad.gif  I dont know if this is relevant either as like i say ive just switched to using mxm, but the skin im using is the tivo skin by boomboom.

Any help would be great, thanks  smile.gif

flattspott

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 07:45:00 AM »

Press Y and go to configure. It's in there somewhere

Morglum

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 08:13:00 AM »

Thanks guys thats sorted it out  smile.gif  No doubt this is a known bug and BJ will have it fixed in the next release, thanks once again.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »

Well, I don't exactly know how this might be a bug.

There's three basic "temp types" - user, F, and C - the skinner can select (and force) a specific setting, of the user can select it from configuration for "localization"

Is this not what happened here? I'll take a quick scan, but I think MXM is properly reporting temps in F or C based on user preferences.

geniusalz

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 07:41:00 PM »

But the issue here is mxm not getting the settings from the mxm.xml, the issue is not about settings specified in skins.

Morglum

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2004, 12:24:00 AM »

Hey BenJ, its not something like MXM is looking in the xml for UseCelcius insted of UseCelsius is it? If it is then Celsius is the correct spelling  wink.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2004, 02:29:00 AM »

QUOTE (Morglum @ Mar 31 2004, 05:24 AM)
Hey BenJ, its not something like MXM is looking in the xml for UseCelcius insted of UseCelsius is it? If it is then Celsius is the correct spelling  wink.gif

When running MXM from the hard drive, the preferences override the MXM.xml settings.

Any MXM.xml settings settable in the user prefs (from the menu) are ignored in that mode - they only work when running from a DVD. It may seem confusing, but give it some thought, and you'll see why this makes sense.

In 0.9o, I plan on moving EVERYTHING to the user prefs - you'll configure everything from dialogs when running on the hard drive. Localization items may default from MXM.xml when running MXM from a DVD-R - but some of those will also be local to the machine (the ones that don't affect the overt appearance of a DVD-R collection's menu).

I need to sort those out shortly, and I'll probably put together a whitepaper outlining those items and the reasoning for the way they are set up.

Morglum

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2004, 02:43:00 AM »

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Mar 31 2004, 12:29 PM)
When running MXM from the hard drive, the preferences override the MXM.xml settings.

Any MXM.xml settings settable in the user prefs (from the menu) are ignored in that mode - they only work when running from a DVD. It may seem confusing, but give it some thought, and you'll see why this makes sense.

Ok thats bambuzeled me abit  blink.gif  Its in the mxm.xml file under preferances i had the Celsius thing, whether its true or false it shows in F. Thing is its like that whether i run from the hdd or a cdrw. The only way i get it to actually show celsius was to select it from within the actual mxm preferances menu itself. I tried clearing out all its saves and cache but not luck with it reading the xml prefs for the temp, it does however read the pref setting to do a deep scan or not  huh.gif

Im most likely still missing a point something beings as im still real new to mxm, it'll come to me with a week or so's more playing around.  smile.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 03:12:00 AM »

Well, there are "prefs" - hings set through the menus - and MXM.xml items.

MXM.xml is only used in MXM running from the hard drive for things that can't be easily set from menus.

I know it's confusing. Things will get much better inthe next release. wink.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2004, 01:11:00 AM »

Well, without digging into the code to look it up, I believe so.

flattspott

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2004, 06:21:00 AM »

Celcius should be workable from the MXM.xml file, cause it cleary says in the User Guide, <UseCelcius>True</UseCelcius>. But who knows at this point, some many changes it's kinda hard to keep up.

I'll test is in a bit with the WIP and see if if works or not

Morglum

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 06:33:00 AM »

QUOTE (flattspott @ Apr 1 2004, 04:21 PM)
Celcius should be workable from the MXM.xml file, cause it cleary says in the User Guide, <UseCelcius>True</UseCelcius>. But who knows at this point, some many changes it's kinda hard to keep up.

I'll test is in a bit with the WIP and see if if works or not

See thats what i was asking, theres no such thing as celcius, its spelt celsius, is it just a typo in the code checking for the incorrect spelling of the word, and is that why its not reading it from my mxm.xml, because of a spelling error? I've not tried it using the incorrect spelling, i havent really had time yet.

flattspott

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 06:56:00 AM »

My bad, I spelled it incorrectly. This is strait for the MXM User Guide

<UseCelsius> Defaults to “True”, if “False” turns off soundtrack playback for MXM.

Nevemind the comment stuff, a slip up on BJs part I'd assume

flattspott

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 07:02:00 AM »

If you feel up to it, you make a script that forces it.

In you Pref.xml there's

<temptype>0</temptype>

and in the internal.xml there's

<Item ItemID="5" Type="StringList">
<Title>Temperature</Title>
<String StringID="0">Farenheit</String>
<String StringID="1">Celsius</String>
</Item>

Morglum

• Archived User
Temperature Only In F
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 07:05:00 AM »