xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Mxm Locking Up  (Read 48 times)

fezzman

• Archived User
Mxm Locking Up
« on: March 03, 2004, 05:05:00 AM »

Hey all.  Last night I went to put MXM on a friend's xbox (v1.1 160gb).  I had already installed UX and evox and they both worked great.  I'm using x-select to switch dashes.  MXM boots up fine but locks when scrolling through the menus and makes a loud buzz sound.  First I figured it was a bios issue so I tried 4979.06 and 4980.06 and it still happened.  I've never had a lockup issue like this on any other xboxes that I've installed it on.

At first I had it booting from E with the skins folder on E (the same setup I have my my own xbox).  Then I moved it to boot from C with skins on E.  I didn't make a custom menu.xml I was just using the default cache_menu and the only thing in my mxm.xml is that it points to the skins folder.

Again, it does load up fine.  I can go into both the games and apps directories but when I scroll through them that's when it locks up.  I've not yet changed any of the settings other than for it to not load internal skins.

Any ideas?  Thanks

Yuyu

• Archived User
Mxm Locking Up
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 06:56:00 AM »

DO you have any preview videos setup for those games ? If so, you may be having a problem, that one of the videos is WMV 9, which will cause MXM to lock up because WMV 9 is not supported... WMV 8 and 7 are the only supported formats..... So try and see if that may be the problem, as 99% of the time, when it comes to in-menu lockups with MXM, it is because of this...

fezzman

• Archived User
Mxm Locking Up
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 07:41:00 AM »

The preview vids are all the same ones that I've used.  The only one in the games menu, and the only game on the hdd yet, is Halo.  I've used this same clip on 10 xboxes easy.  It is possible that one of the emu vids I put on there is in wmv9 I guess...I'll have to check on that once I get his xbox back.  On second thought, I used those clips on a different xbox with no problems.

Just to be safe, I'll delete all of the clips and start upping them from scratch just to be safe.

Thanks

Yuyu

• Archived User
Mxm Locking Up
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 07:45:00 AM »

YEah, like I said, thi s is usually the problem, so it will not hur to see if it is right ? Anyways, just post back if you find more details or still have the problem..

fezzman

• Archived User
Mxm Locking Up
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 08:45:00 AM »

Okay, here's a question.  Will one bad vid clip (wmv9) in one of the apps, XBMP for example, cause the Games menu to lock up?  Likewise, will this bad clip cause the apps menu to lock up before I even have a chance to highlight XBMP?

The reason why I ask is because while it locks in both games and apps I am 100% positive that the only vid clip in my games dir is good.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Mxm Locking Up
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »

Dunno what is happening here. The WIP builds, of course, have fixed the lockup on an invalid version of WMV.... but the first thing to test when things lock up is the images used.

Like Yuyu said, 99% of the time it's the vid.

"o" is getting close, though.... within a few more days, the plug-and-play stuff will hopefully be progressed to the point that significant work can be done by the WIP ActionScripters. I don't plan on putting much more "flash" into MXM - I expect an update to "o" within a few weeks to clean up any issues that arise from the public release.

That said, with the UI complete enough for serious scripts, work to a public release should go quickly.

elfey1

• Archived User
Mxm Locking Up
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 09:03:00 AM »

yea, mxm doesnt like videos that are wmv9 - i used to have a problem that meant i could scroll through the first few games but as soon as it reached halo, it did the freezing and loud buzzing, i removed my preview from menu.xml and it worked fine, since then i got a better video and that works well. hope this helps.

fezzman

• Archived User
Mxm Locking Up
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 10:22:00 AM »

cool.gif

Anyways, I'm wondering if maybe I named a .jpg as a .wmv in my rush.  Do you think this will cause a lockup?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Mxm Locking Up
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 10:27:00 AM »

QUOTE (fezzman @ Mar 3 2004, 03:22 PM)
Actually, I'm starting to wonder if in my rush I mis-named a file.  My friend was on his way over to pick up his xbox and as an afterthought I put mxm on there for him to warm up to.  See, we usually use UX as default dash because we have halo parties each week at my house and we use the file explorer in UX to transfer patched cache files (takes too long to load and use boxplorer).  Once mxm has a file explorer then that dash may be primarily the default.  Of course, I set mxm as my default on the days when we're not having a party.  I love variety.  cool.gif

Anyways, I'm wondering if maybe I named a .jpg as a .wmv in my rush.  Do you think this will cause a lockup?

It might. The M$ libs used to play WMV files are very fragile.