xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mxm -> Qwix (xfer)  (Read 52 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Mxm -> Qwix (xfer)
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2003, 09:12:00 AM »

QUOTE (^Blazed^ @ Oct 7 2003, 08:55 AM)

I'm sure BenJeremy agrees with me.

MXM rocks!!!

rolleyes.gif

I absolutely agree with you... MXM Rocks!!  laugh.gif

Yeah, I don't begrudge Ava for having "exclusives" - any more than they begrudge me the same.

Ultimately, I think we will see more open-sourced stuff as well.

the joker

• Archived User
Mxm -> Qwix (xfer)
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2003, 01:09:00 AM »

why don't they share this stuff? Why do they keep it Ava specific?

two main reasons :

1) we work really hard to invent new stuff. Sure, this boost mode sounds easy - but trust me, its faar from trivial. But, it's still under testing.

2) it's simply not done yet. Who would release sourcecode for something that is half-done ?

when it comes to sharing, didn't you see xbox-scene frontpage ? =)

XBMC Xbins CVS 10-07-2003
--- new iso9660 library donated by The Joker from the Avalaunch(info) team (THX guys!)

and yes, we will also release the ftp-server. But not before it's working properly.

the joker

• Archived User
Mxm -> Qwix (xfer)
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2003, 01:16:00 PM »

how would that work xbox <-> xbox ? =)

swampy

• Archived User
Mxm -> Qwix (xfer)
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2003, 02:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (Devenic @ Oct 8 2003, 09:28 PM)
And how would something other than a "screwy" ftp client know how to deal with that extra type?

And forcing an xbox to unrar files (especially large transfers) can hardly be considered a performance booster.

You would put it in that mode by sending the command "archive" or whatever you wanted to call it the same way you send it bin or ascii now to put the server in binary or text mode.  It wouldn't be client specific, even linux/dos clients could take advantage of the speed increase.

A 750 mhz pIII can decompress zipped/rared data as fast as the ethernet can feed it, so that shouldn't cause a slow down, and most of the time you would be sending it iso files that aren't compressed.  You would have to  have a few limits, like no rared zip files, rared iso's.  It would be so cool if when a new version of mame/mxm/avlaunch/any home brew game/non iso release comes out you could just ftp it over and it would be installed.

If you are talking xbox->xbox, why use ftp at all?

the joker

• Archived User
Mxm -> Qwix (xfer)
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2003, 03:27:00 PM »

A 750 mhz pIII can decompress zipped/rared data as fast as the ethernet can feed it,

not true.  Recieving alone takes up nuts amount of cpu time - and it does NOT leave enough time for unrar smile.gif  everything would be experienced to be really really slow.. The Boost mode is very likely the best option for a multi(million)file transfer. It's doing a on-the-run "compressing" if you can call it that.

If you are talking xbox->xbox, why use ftp at all?

don't have any friends with xbox ?  =)
Pages: 1 [2]