xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Game/app Icons  (Read 50 times)

TattooedBear

• Archived User
Game/app Icons
« on: August 05, 2003, 09:02:00 PM »

unsure.gif

Cofi

• Archived User
Game/app Icons
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 10:17:00 PM »

I suggest you to run the applications and the games and save a setting or a game, that will generate the icons.

Otherwise you can use wmv-videos and name them: MXM_SS.wmv and put them in the Game/App-dir.

GL

^Blazed^

• Archived User
Game/app Icons
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2003, 03:49:00 AM »

QUOTE (TattooedBear @ Aug 6 2003, 06:02 AM)
Hello.
Love the dashboard. Currently have all 3 of my xbox's running it.
But, the latest one I just modded, and put up several skins to choose from, MXM doesn't bring up icons for games or The Blue CD Icon of XBMP etc... like the other 2 do. I can't for the life of me figure out what the difference is. I've deleted the cache xml and refreshed it etc... but it doesn't seem to help. What a great feature to not have working. I looked thru the first forum for bug reports but didn't find anyone else who had this problem.

Everything works fine but that. I'm lost.
My Mxm.xml is pretty simple and I used it on the same 3 boxes.
<Config>
<Main>
<SkinsPath>C:Skinds</SkinsPath>
</Main>
</Config>

Do I need to throw some more information your way? I looked for the thumbnail.tbx files and couldn't find any. How are those made? My first xbox with the 120 gig hard drive in it has tons of games and they're all there <the icons> for browsing thru the games folder.

*shrug* Thanks for listening.

David unsure.gif

I haven't yet tried MXM so I don't know what BenJeremy is doing to be able to display the images.

If MXM relies on the metadata extracted from the actual xbe's then you'll have to run the applications so that the metadata are extracted and stored on your XBox's HD.

smile.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Game/app Icons
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2003, 04:28:00 AM »

QUOTE (^Blazed^ @ Aug 6 2003, 07:49 AM)
QUOTE (TattooedBear @ Aug 6 2003, 06:02 AM)
Hello.
Love the dashboard. Currently have all 3 of my xbox's running it.
But, the latest one I just modded, and put up several skins to choose from, MXM doesn't bring up icons for games or The Blue CD Icon of XBMP etc... like the other 2 do. I can't for the life of me figure out what the difference is. I've deleted the cache xml and refreshed it etc... but it doesn't seem to help. What a great feature to not have working. I looked thru the first forum for bug reports but didn't find anyone else who had this problem.

Everything works fine but that. I'm lost.
My Mxm.xml is pretty simple and I used it on the same 3 boxes.
<Config>
<Main>
<SkinsPath>C:Skinds</SkinsPath>
</Main>
</Config>

Do I need to throw some more information your way? I looked for the thumbnail.tbx files and couldn't find any. How are those made? My first xbox with the 120 gig hard drive in it has tons of games and they're all there <the icons> for browsing thru the games folder.

*shrug* Thanks for listening.

David unsure.gif

I haven't yet tried MXM so I don't know what BenJeremy is doing to be able to display the images.

If MXM relies on the metadata extracted from the actual xbe's then you'll have to run the applications so that the metadata are extracted and stored on your XBox's HD.

smile.gif

Yes, for the default thumbnails.... which are used as media entries as a last resort.

The two key entries are thumbnails and media entries... identified in the item's menu node as a <thumbnail> and <Media> element, respectively.  When MXM finds or is told where to launch an applicaiton from a directory, checks to see if the user has already entered those elements, if not, for each one, it does the following:

1) It looks for MXM_Entry.xml and uses the <Thumbnail> and <Media> elements from that...

2) Failing that, it looks for an MXM_Thumb.* file for the thumbnail, or an MXM_SS.* file for the Media. "*" being the valid image file extension (wmv, jpg, bmp, png, etc...)

3) Failing all that, it uses the XBE to locate the game's "TitleImage.xbx" file buried in the TDATA (or is it UDATA?) storage folders and uses that as whatever item is undefined.

The last step does indeed require the game to have established a save game entry to 'install' that file into the proper location.

TattooedBear

• Archived User
Game/app Icons
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2003, 09:04:00 AM »

QUOTE (Cofi @ Aug 6 2003, 07:17 AM)
I suggest you to run the applications and the games and save a setting or a game, that will generate the icons.

Otherwise you can use wmv-videos and name them: MXM_SS.wmv and put them in the Game/App-dir.

GL

Dang. I've run XNES and XBMP and played games in XNES and watched movies in XBMP and changed settings in both and rebooted over and over and it doesn't generate anything. Ah well. It could kinda look cooler if there's a lil animation thing going on anyway.
I just don't understand why it's not extracting these icons by itself. Does on my other 2.
:-(
Still love this dashboard.
Ah. I found this in the cache, and the file TitleImage.xbx is there. But there's nothing showing up for when I highlite it in the menu. Also, some of the skins I use, have the lettering on a black background <not matching the skin> till I press the menu button. Odd.

<item>
<dir>E:GAMESXSNES</dir>
<exe>E:GAMESXSNESdefault.xbe</exe>
<title>xSnes9x</title>
<media>E:UDATAfffdaedTitleImage.xbx</media>
<thumbnail>E:UDATAfffdaedTitleImage.xbx</thumbnail>
<xbeid>268425965</xbeid>
<verified>true</verified>
</item>

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Game/app Icons
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2003, 09:07:00 AM »

QUOTE (TattooedBear @ Aug 6 2003, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (Cofi @ Aug 6 2003, 07:17 AM)

GL

Dang. I've run XNES and XBMP and played games in XNES and watched movies in XBMP and changed settings in both and rebooted over and over and it doesn't generate anything. Ah well. It could kinda look cooler if there's a lil animation thing going on anyway.
I just don't understand why it's not extracting these icons by itself. Does on my other 2.
:-(
Still love this dashboard.
Ah. I found this in the cache, and the file TitleImage.xbx is there. But there's nothing showing up for when I highlite it in the menu. Also, some of the skins I use, have the lettering on a black background <not matching the skin> till I press the menu button. Odd.

<item>
<dir>E:GAMESXSNES</dir>
<exe>E:GAMESXSNESdefault.xbe</exe>
<title>xSnes9x</title>
<media>E:UDATAfffdaedTitleImage.xbx</media>
<thumbnail>E:UDATAfffdaedTitleImage.xbx</thumbnail>
<xbeid>268425965</xbeid>
<verified>true</verified>
</item>

You are not running version 0.9n.4

Upgrade to the latest release (0.9n.4) and the font issue will go away.