xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Game Size Feature  (Read 108 times)

flattspott

• Archived User
Game Size Feature
« on: July 23, 2003, 07:25:00 PM »

This is what I'm thinking. Maybe you add another option to the optoins menu that when selected, goes through all your game folders and gets the sizes of each folder and adds them to the cache menu xml. Something like ;
<GameSize>2.474 GB</GameSize>

Then maybe these sizes could be displayed on the screen somewhere when browsing the games.

This way we can know right away the sizes of games that are just taking up space.

What do you htink of this.

ray12944

• Archived User
Game Size Feature
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 07:29:00 PM »

cool.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Game Size Feature
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 07:33:00 PM »

QUOTE (flattspott @ Jul 23 2003, 11:25 PM)
This is what I'm thinking. Maybe you add another option to the optoins menu that when selected, goes through all your game folders and gets the sizes of each folder and adds them to the cache menu xml. Something like ;
<GameSize>2.474 GB</GameSize>

Then maybe these sizes could be displayed on the screen somewhere when browsing the games.

This way we can know right away the sizes of games that are just taking up space.

What do you htink of this.

Actually, the "Game Info" collects this info in the next release (0.9n.2).

The only thing about this is it takes time to collect the information. In the context of the Game Info screen, I will also be checking DVD-based games for FATX compatibility (needed for game ripping, anyway) and maybe a few other things.

flattspott

• Archived User
Game Size Feature
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 07:46:00 PM »

I realize it time consuming. That's why it should be a user selected feature.

But now that I got to thinkin about it a bit more. Maybe it would work best if it worked like the BIOSMD5.xml

When you select calculate game sizes it adds a tag to the MXM.XML to use GameSize.xml or something. Then it adds all the individual games folder names as seperate tag with the size between them; like <Halo>2.345GB</Halo>
Then this would be put into the GameSize.xml

jlm5151

• Archived User
Game Size Feature
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 09:44:00 PM »

I noticed that when showing some of the game sizes it is completely inccorrect. There were some that were totally off. Not sure how this happens, but if you could covert the bytes to gigabytes in the display that would be great.

koldfuzion

• Archived User
Game Size Feature
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 10:05:00 PM »

i always liked evox's "2 off"

if you 34,234,432 kb it would show as 32,234,432
if you had 257,456 kb left it would show 237,456
if you had 14,333 kb left  it would show 12,333

see how the second number is always 2 less than what it should have been?

Evox doesnt have a BJ,  so when i asked about it... nothing ever happened... its probably still like that... but wgaf?

TCB

• Archived User
Game Size Feature
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2003, 01:48:00 AM »

biggrin.gif

Now -when my xbox harddisk is full- I use boxplorer to check the gamesize of various games (to consider which ones will be deleted).

By the way, to save space I normally also delete all demo directories. Most games also feature every soundfile in different languages: delete them. Also various games have every movie in pal AND ntsc format. Just delete all PAL (or NTSC) movies. Saves another few gb's

flattspott

• Archived User
Game Size Feature
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 06:45:00 AM »

And if you go with a GameSize.xml I think it would be best to have two choices;

one- Calculate Current Game Sizes. (This will go and get the sizes for all the games on your Xbox, This option should get the sizes of each games everytime it's selected.)

two- Calculate New Games Only (this will read the entries in the Gamesize.xml and ignore all those entries but add any new games it finds)