xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Newsgroup  (Read 63 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Newsgroup
« on: May 26, 2003, 03:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (dman7 @ May 26 2003, 06:53 PM)
Hey, this might be the wrong place for this but I joined a newsgroup just so I could find MXM. I joined News2me but I am not sure how to read the file names after searches. I see like a [1/2] at the end of the title but then in the file name I see like par3....does this mean part 1 of a third part of the file?And I also see Req- Xecutur Bios at the begining if the titles.... does this mean required Xecuter Bios? Can someone tell me how to disect all of this so I can find figure out what I am reading? The help files on that web site do not explain it.

Thanks,

"REQ" means the poster is requesting something, and as "TIA" or "Thanks In Advance" he is posting binaries somebody might need.

I don't know what "par3" is, at a guess, there are several extensions you might typically see in newsgroups:

*.rar (and *.part01.rar-*.part9999.rar)
*.001-*.999

These are RAR files, part of an archive. **MOST** files with 001 extensions are the start of RAR archives, but some lamebrains insist on using simple file splitter/joiners, so it might not be an archive, but simply (and typically) an MPEG or ISO file just chopped up; though those would have a name like: something.iso.001...something.iso.023

*.par
*.p01-*.p99

These are PAR files, or parity archive recovery files. The PAR file is a little one, that identifies all the files of a set (for example, the multi-part RAR files) that it was run on to error check and recover. The larger files, P01-P99, are the actual recovery files themselves, and with these, you can basically recreate one or more missing files formthe RAR set it was generated with.

Do a search on this, because that is all I'm going to explain. PAR files are best used with a utility called FSRAID (freeware).

RolfLobker

• Archived User
Newsgroup
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2003, 03:41:00 PM »

PAR2 is also out since recently.
It offers better and more flexibel recovery.

I'm not going to sum up all details.
Have a look here:

http://www.pbclement...ckPar/index.htm
http://sourceforge.n...&group_id=30568