xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: I'm An Idiot.  (Read 77 times)

Wes Ide

• Archived User
I'm An Idiot.
« on: May 17, 2003, 07:34:00 PM »

I've burned many a multi-game backup using MenuX and decided to try MXM.  So I use Craxtion to compile the MXM multidisc and at each step learn something new.  I learned to convert mov files to wma, so I did, after downloading them at IGN.  So then I get to the Skin part, and see the default skin is selected.  I navigate in Windows Explorer to that directory and preview it and see it's a Matrix skin.  Great movie, but I don't want it taking over my gaming (unless it's the ETM game).  So I go to allxboxsins.com and see a lovely plain-looking menu skin called Generator v1.02.  So I download it and use the Update utility I got somewhere to make it v2.  So I then swap over to Craxtion again and select the directory that was in to be the skin for my multidisk.  It creates a huge 4Gb ISO, which I want to TEST before burning to a DVD.  So I burn it onto my XBox hard drive, link to it in EvoX dash, and run it.  I see what looks like a Matrix load screen and am disappointed.  I then see the plain-looking menu load up... only I realize it's actually not a menu, but a dashboard skin.  I don't have access to my games, just options like E, F, and Dashboard, the latter of which takes me to the MS Dashboard.

So what did I do wrong?  And how can I create a multi-game MXM disc using a plain-looking non-Matrix skin?

And yes, I have consulted the website in StrongBad's signature.

LepPpeR

• Archived User
I'm An Idiot.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2003, 09:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (Wes Ide @ May 17 2003, 10:34 PM)
I've burned many a multi-game backup using MenuX and decided to try MXM.  So I use Craxtion to compile the MXM multidisc and at each step learn something new.  I learned to convert mov files to wma, so I did, after downloading them at IGN.  So then I get to the Skin part, and see the default skin is selected.  I navigate in Windows Explorer to that directory and preview it and see it's a Matrix skin.  Great movie, but I don't want it taking over my gaming (unless it's the ETM game).  So I go to allxboxsins.com and see a lovely plain-looking menu skin called Generator v1.02.  So I download it and use the Update utility I got somewhere to make it v2.  So I then swap over to Craxtion again and select the directory that was in to be the skin for my multidisk.  It creates a huge 4Gb ISO, which I want to TEST before burning to a DVD.  So I burn it onto my XBox hard drive, link to it in EvoX dash, and run it.  I see what looks like a Matrix load screen and am disappointed.  I then see the plain-looking menu load up... only I realize it's actually not a menu, but a dashboard skin.  I don't have access to my games, just options like E, F, and Dashboard, the latter of which takes me to the MS Dashboard.

So what did I do wrong?  And how can I create a multi-game MXM disc using a plain-looking non-Matrix skin?

And yes, I have consulted the website in StrongBad's signature.

are you booting this disc that you created from evox or are you loading it directly upon startup?

LepPpeR

Wes Ide

• Archived User
I'm An Idiot.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2003, 09:15:00 PM »

What I did after I ran the Craxtion built-in MXM config tool was transfer the 4Gb ISO to my XBox using xFer Pro and then run it off the HDD

LepPpeR

• Archived User
I'm An Idiot.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2003, 09:21:00 PM »

okay, MXM has what BENJ describes as *safe mode* which is basically like a dashboard but when you burn it to disc and load it from there it becomes a Multi-Game menu with whatever you put on it.

I am still testing Craxtion w/mxm and I will be updating as I find bugs.

Good Luck and let me know how it works out for you.

LepPpeR

Wes Ide

• Archived User
I'm An Idiot.
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2003, 09:26:00 PM »

So you're saying that, had I not deleted the 4Gb ISO and swore for the past 2 hours so loud that even George Carlin heard me and said "Damn!" but had simply burned that ISO to disc, it would've worked?

LepPpeR

• Archived User
I'm An Idiot.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2003, 09:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (Wes Ide @ May 18 2003, 12:26 AM)
So you're saying that, had I not deleted the 4Gb ISO and swore for the past 2 hours so loud that even George Carlin heard me and said "Damn!" but had simply burned that ISO to disc, it would've worked?

I would, without making your curse more, say YES.  It would have worked to my knowledge.  Given this version of craxtion I have made does contain certain bugs, it does indeed work for the most part.

Give it a shot and let me know.

Just FTP back the directory and make an ISO of it, Burn, Test, Report back to me (PM ME)

LepPpeR

p.s - your not an IDIOT - I did the same thing =) and I wrote the damn program

Wes Ide

• Archived User
I'm An Idiot.
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2003, 09:20:00 PM »

very dumb question here but...

I just redid the whole process, got a 4Gb ISO... what do I burn it with?

Nero is telling me "The entered block size does not correspond to the image length.  Do you want to correct the value or ignore the problem?"

Well I don't know how to correct it and I don't know what's wrong with it.

Lepper, once I've created the MXM ISO with Craxtion, how should I burn it?

Also, I opened the ISO in ISO Buster and it finds no files, but shows the ISO is over 4Gb.  I'm not sure why it can't find it.  WinISO just crashes, but it always does for me.

I don't suppose there's a program made explicitly for burning XBox ISOs?

LepPpeR

• Archived User
I'm An Idiot.
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2003, 11:09:00 PM »

Indeed, if this error occurs in Nero, Just ignore it by clicking the ignore button.  I personally use RecordNow Max - it was free with my Burner - And have never had this error.  But people have told me that by ignoring it, everything was fine.

You can use XISO for viewing the contents of an Xbox Iso but I would not recommend anything beyond viewing for it messes up a lot of the time.

LepPpeR