xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Evox/mxm Dual Boot Possible?  (Read 75 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Evox/mxm Dual Boot Possible?
« on: May 08, 2003, 06:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (djhush @ May 8 2003, 10:39 PM)
Here's the deal:  I have two versions of the X2 4976.02 bios on my X2 Pro, one that boots to C: and one that boots to E: and I want to be able to choose between Evox and MXM by changing the dip switches.

EvoX is residing on my C: drive and still works just fine when booting from C: as it always has.

I put MXM on my E: drive as "nexgen.xbe" along with the Generator Skin folder.  My TData, UData and Cache directories are still on E:

When I boot with the E: bios, MXM loads, as expected, but I can't get the Generator Skin to load, I just get the generic "default" skin.  I've tried <LoadSkin>Generator Skin</LoadSkin> but that doesn't work.

Are the other directories residing on E: screwing up MXM???

Thanks for any help,

Sam

Well, I have to do more testing on the dashboard stuff. As it is, I don't currently have an "E" or "F" boot BIOS flashed to my system at the moment.

So for now, it seems that MXM will see its files on C: when running as a dashboard - HOWEVER, in your case, you merely have to put the support files on C:, and the MXM XBE renamed to nexgen.xbe on your E: and everything should be fine.

The problem with E: and F: boot BIOSes is there is no way for me (that I know of, yet) to tell what drive I'm running from in dashboard mode (Xbox runs the dashboard with no 'drives' set up).

djhush

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2003, 06:46:00 PM »

trying it right now...

djhush

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2003, 06:54:00 PM »

Didn't work.

Here's what I did:

I put nexgen.xbe on the E: drive all by itself.

I put the Generator Skin folder and mxm.xml on the C: drive, along with everything else that's normally there for the MS Dash and EvoX.

djhush

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2003, 07:05:00 PM »

Scratch that, it worked.

I deleted everything related to MXM and copied everything over fresh, and it worked.

Again, here's what I did:

I put nexgen.xbe on the E: drive all by itself, with everything else that's normally there, cache etc.

I put the Generator Skin folder and mxm.xml on the C: drive, along with everything else that's normally there for the MS Dash and EvoX.

The only reason I named it nexgen.xbe is to differentiate between MXM and Evox, even though they are on different partitions, just so I won't get confused later.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2003, 07:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (djhush @ May 8 2003, 11:05 PM)
Scratch that, it worked.

I deleted everything related to MXM and copied everything over fresh, and it worked.

Again, here's what I did:

I put nexgen.xbe on the E: drive all by itself, with everything else that's normally there, cache etc.

The only reason I named it nexgen.xbe is to differentiate between MXM and Evox, even though they are on different partitions, just so I won't get confused later.

Thanks for the help!!!!!

No problem.... when I get a chance, I'll flash an E: or F: boot BIOS and fix the issue of where it finds the files (it's supposed to locate them on C:, E: or F:, whichever it finds first.)

djhush

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2003, 07:58:00 PM »

That will be cool, but for now, this will work!

The reason for the dual boot is I'm going to use Evox as my more "technical" dash.  It'll have all my Apps easily accessible, such as file managers, bios flashing etc. as well as all my games and emulators, not to mention FTP'ing.  I'll switch to drive E: and MXM when I want to "show off" my Xbox and impress my friends with the cool videos and ambient music with the pretty interface, as well as hiding those apps that could be accidentally used to screw up my Xbox.  Just the Games, Emulators, XBMP, and DVD Player will be accessible.

Sweet!!

Thanks again for your help and keep up the good work on MXM, it's fresh!