xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Attention Skinners!  (Read 131 times)

StrongBad

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2003, 10:59:00 AM »

Check out the 'Wingdings' font set.  There's plenty of possible icon choices.  See what suits best.  That's where Devoid skin's submenu folder icon came from (looks like where Simplicity got its icons too).

BJ, did you preserve the transparency of the icons? Or will that retain that black background?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2003, 11:11:00 AM »

QUOTE (StrongBad @ Jun 21 2003, 02:59 PM)
Check out the 'Wingdings' font set.  There's plenty of possible icon choices.  See what suits best.  That's where Devoid skin's submenu folder icon came from (looks like where Simplicity got its icons too).

BJ, did you preserve the transparency of the icons? Or will that retain that black background?

I just added the wave and music icons, and no, there's no transparency for the icons.

I might consider a second set, but I'd rather incorporate them into a font If I do that, since I can color them anyway I want with a font.

EDIT: I added a few more. I'll probably add one for XML files as well. Any others?

oswald

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2003, 03:20:00 PM »

smile.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2003, 03:43:00 PM »

QUOTE (oswald @ Jun 21 2003, 07:20 PM)
Well, personally, I would use that xbe icon for my emulators, so maybe a seperate one for homebrew games?  I have no idea what that would look like though.... maybe a page with a bandaid on it smile.gif

How about this:

user posted image Emulator

oswald

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2003, 05:47:00 PM »

awesome!

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2003, 05:55:00 PM »

I've added them as internal files... "::ICO_EMU" for example, will give you the image above.

As grayscale images, I hope to get my masking routines up and running, which will make them interesting (I should be able to alter their colors without much trouble.)

"::Simplicity" is now an internal skin. I'd like to add variants as well.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2003, 08:23:00 AM »

For those wanting to add File Manager support for their skins... I will have an internal based layout, selectable by the user when a skin does not support it directly. Obviously, menublocks that only display one item at a time makes using it as a file manager rather impractical.

The layout name will be "FileManager" for those who want to add support.

My advice is to make it very simular to the menu screen, but use a menu with more entries. Descriptions are OK, I will be using that 'field' to describe the file, drive or directory. Thumbnails will be the icons above, media, or the XBE TitleImage, whichever is appropriate.

More info will follow.

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2003, 08:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Jun 22 2003, 12:43 AM)
Well, personally, I would use that xbe icon for my emulators, so maybe a seperate one for homebrew games?  I have no idea what that would look like though.... maybe a page with a bandaid on it smile.gif

How about this:

Just a question but Why do they have to be greyscale?If they weren't then we could simply 'borrow' some of Twistz that he did for avalaunch...That would make everything a lot easier...
I like the Emu one loads though!

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2003, 09:00:00 AM »

QUOTE (chilin_dude @ Jun 22 2003, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Jun 22 2003, 12:43 AM)
Well, personally, I would use that xbe icon for my emulators, so maybe a seperate one for homebrew games?  I have no idea what that would look like though.... maybe a page with a bandaid on it smile.gif

How about this:

Just a question but Why do they have to be greyscale?If they weren't then we could simply 'borrow' some of Twistz that he did for avalaunch...That would make everything a lot easier...
I like the Emu one loads though!

Well, these are the internal ones... you can use whatever you want for the external skins.

Grayscale is nice because, as I said before, it will have applications as an alpha mask image. I'll be able to color it and such.

If any skinners feel comfortable enough to define names to be associated with specific file types as outlined above, give it a shot here, and we can hammer out a nice spec for the file manager layout. Maybe each file type icon could be overridden using a defined Image Resource with a specific name?

Also let me know what informational strings you'll want to see....

Crash N Burn

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2003, 11:18:00 AM »

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Jun 22 2003, 09:23 AM)
For those wanting to add File Manager support for their skins... I will have an internal based layout, selectable by the user when a skin does not support it directly. Obviously, menublocks that only display one item at a time makes using it as a file manager rather impractical.

The layout name will be "FileManager" for those who want to add support.

My advice is to make it very simular to the menu screen, but use a menu with more entries. Descriptions are OK, I will be using that 'field' to describe the file, drive or directory. Thumbnails will be the icons above, media, or the XBE TitleImage, whichever is appropriate.

More info will follow.

Filemanager is no dout is going to be a BIG help to us skinners . I have a STRONG FEELING it will be used ALOT in changing menu strutures . I been waiting for this . Thank BJ . beerchug.gif
I love the thought of different layouts for different areas such as games , apps and emus . This will bring this dash to a whole new level .
Your right though, keeping the menu screen the same just moving or adding to the filemanager is the best way to go . wink.gif

My GOD future Skins R going ROCK /w this feature !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  beerchug.gif  TRU MULTIMEDIA AT ITS BEST.

,,...................................................Crash N Burn

Crash N Burn

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2003, 12:17:00 PM »

rolleyes.gif ) and /w koldfuzion and momdad standing behind the future of MXM at AXS . Hopefully this will give SB the feeling that this isn't wasting his time .....I have a VERY strong feeling this Skinning App he's making is going to make this forum and AXS a VERY BUSY place to be ..... wink.gif

,,...................................................Crash N Burn

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2003, 01:00:00 PM »

I'm going to unpin this for now... a more important, related thread will be pinned shortly.

geodeath

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2003, 07:06:00 AM »

I forgot to ask:

If i want to include my own fonts, how can i package them for use with MXM?

did you notice the complete redone X logo down and right? its a corel vector completely done by me.
Isnt it really the same with the original apart from the graphics? i thought of this after changing my bios colors.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2003, 07:26:00 AM »

QUOTE (geodeath @ Jul 8 2003, 11:06 AM)
I forgot to ask:

If i want to include my own fonts, how can i package them for use with MXM?

did you notice the complete redone X logo down and right? its a corel vector completely done by me.
Isnt it really the same with the original apart from the graphics? i thought of this after changing my bios colors.

Wow... that looks fresh!

Well, the skin would basically just be included in it's own subdirectory. So you already have the fonts in XPR format, it's basically just a matter of includingthe skin with the bins.

I have an "X" logo myself in CorelDraw Format... Yours looks very nice.

Can't wait to try out the skin.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Attention Skinners!
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2003, 07:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (geodeath @ Jul 8 2003, 11:31 AM)
no, the font in the pic is not the one in use..
because i dont know HOW to compile them into xpr or whats the format.
If you know how i can do this it would be cool cause i am stuck with the stock fonts right now.

OK, you need FontBundle to do that.... it should be available in "The Usual Places"

When I get time, I'm going to integrate the apps into one freely distrubutable app.

Basically, you run FontBundler and hit "FontMaker" to convert your TrueType font into a TGA and ABC file, then load the TGA into the FontBundle GUI and hit "Create" to generate an XPR file.

The GUI hides a few manual steps.

Then the "xpr" font can be used in MXM as a resource.
Pages: 1 [2] 3