xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Question For Benjeremey  (Read 47 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Question For Benjeremey
« on: May 03, 2003, 05:26:00 AM »

On the surface, that seems to be a superficial feature... however, it does pass my 'dashboard litmus test' which is basically a feature that is useful but only when immediately available - by immediately available, I mean that if it takes more time to load than to use the feature, it's got a more 'immediate need'. This is why I think IRC is best suited to a utility program, rather than a dashboard need, but an IM client, on the other hand, should be a part of a dashboard.

JonnyR69

• Archived User
Question For Benjeremey
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2003, 05:31:00 AM »

unsure.gif  ohmy.gif  biggrin.gif

Because I really hope so. Or at least, could you look into it????

Thanks a lot as well, for even considering it. I believe it to be a great feature, even if it was just an option to have it included. Like "TVGuide = True" or "TVGuide = False"

I'm crossing my fingers.

chilin_dude

• Archived User
Question For Benjeremey
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2003, 08:42:00 AM »

QUOTE (JonnyR69 @ May 3 2003, 02:05 PM)
I know a lot of people find this to be stupid, but I think it would be a great addition. Especially since, the code is already out there and would be easy enough to implement. wink.gif I'm pretty sure anyways.

Ok here it is:

XBMP is not good enough to be a dashboard in my opinion. But it has one great feature that makes it a good dashboard. THE TV GUIDE!!!!!!!

I think that having the TV Guide as a part of the Dashboard would be a great idea. Then, you could just power on the XBOX, and BOOM, there is the TV Guide option right in front of you. No more starting up XBMP and waiting for that to load.

I think having the TV Guide aspart of the Dash would be a great idea and since XBMP is now opensource, getting the code to do it would be easy.

AND PLEASE, for those out there that don't think this is that great of an idea, please keep your comments to yourselfs, as it would discourage the coders. As well, there are people out there that would love this feature and I AM ONE OF THEM!!!!

I would also like to see this implemented, however i think it would be great if you could set a program you want to watch and then if you access the dash anytime within an hour of the program starting it would you alert you when it is on...it could say something like:
'The Programme *show name here* will start in *how long till it starts*'
Just my added thoughts!

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Question For Benjeremey
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2003, 02:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (Weavus @ May 3 2003, 05:57 PM)
QUOTE (JonnyR69 @ May 3 2003, 01:05 PM)
XBMP is not good enough to be a dashboard in my opinion. But it has one great feature that makes it a good dashboard. THE TV GUIDE!!!!!!!

For the love of god please dont include this (or anything like it... IRC, IM, Email etc) into MXM anytime soon.

We dont need another bloated eveything half working dashboard.

I know as a developer is fun to work on cool stuff and fixing small bugs is the worst thing to work on but lets concentrate on v1.0 first pleeeeaaase smile.gif

That is correct as well...

I want to get MXM working well at it's basic functions before adding too many 'fancy doodads' wink.gif and I'd also not like to bloat the thing.

What I may do, however, is develop a plug-in system, using DLLs (thanks to XBMPs code) to provide some base functionality like that. The skinning system would be adaptable enough to do something like that.

At that point, anybody could develop a TV guide plugin.

Perhaps that's an interface that could be shared with neXgen....