xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: A Couple Of Questions About "mxm"  (Read 46 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
A Couple Of Questions About "mxm"
« on: May 01, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »

QUOTE (zorb @ May 1 2003, 02:54 PM)
Hey whats going on !!

I have a couple of questions that I could use some help with .

I understand that the MXM dash can play a clip of the games but on my cofinguration it only shows pictures of the game can someone give an idea in how to play a preview of the games ?

My other question is about the dasboard soudtrack .
I love the tunes on MXM ! Except the first one I find it  bit depresing  no offence to the creator of MXM Mr. Ben Jeremy !!
So my question is, is it possible to switch the order of the songs ?

Thanks guys !
    beerchug.gif

p.s.- The Media X Menu is AMAZING !!

Peace

The game previews are Windows Media 8 "WMV" video files.

Look at the User's Guide for more details on this. Placing a file in the game directory with the base name of "MXM_SS" will allow MXM to see the file and use it as a screenshot. In the case of WMV files, you'd get your preview video and place it there with "MXM_SS.wmv" as the filename.

As for the music, there is a way to fix this, but I'd recommend waiting for the next release (which will be 0.9k, skipping 'j') which should have proper override settings, plus I'm revamping the music manager code.

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2003, 03:34:00 PM »

Hmmm....Just an idea.  I noticed that a lot of games have xmv video files in their folders.  I'm assuming these are the cut scenes from the games.  Would be kinda cool if MXM was able to do a quick directory search and load up those video files in a small window as a preview of the game.  I'm assuming the XDK has a quick and easy method for loading these files, so it shouldn't be that difficult of a feature to implement.

The only thing would be that if you were searching the folders in real time (as each game is highlighted), there might be a slight pause...But if it did the directory search only the first time MXM is loaded and then stored a file with the location and name of the files it would be pretty quick.  Then, all you'd have to do is store the name of the folders that have already been searched in the file.  If on startup a new folder is detected do a quick search of that folder and add it to the file.

What do you think of the idea?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2003, 04:39:00 PM »

QUOTE (Jsmith @ May 1 2003, 07:34 PM)
Hmmm....Just an idea.  I noticed that a lot of games have xmv video files in their folders.  I'm assuming these are the cut scenes from the games.  Would be kinda cool if MXM was able to do a quick directory search and load up those video files in a small window as a preview of the game.  I'm assuming the XDK has a quick and easy method for loading these files, so it shouldn't be that difficult of a feature to implement.

The only thing would be that if you were searching the folders in real time (as each game is highlighted), there might be a slight pause...But if it did the directory search only the first time MXM is loaded and then stored a file with the location and name of the files it would be pretty quick.  Then, all you'd have to do is store the name of the folders that have already been searched in the file.  If on startup a new folder is detected do a quick search of that folder and add it to the file.

What do you think of the idea?

Heh heh.. well, a media search is possible, but kinda ugly in practice. Most movie files are boring, or messed up looking.

That's the reason you have to name it a particular way, unless you go in and edit the item entry with your own information.

Besiders I wouldn't want to accidently show a spoiler.

Better to let the user decide what movies to display, in this case.

Jsmith

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2003, 05:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (BenJeremy @ May 1 2003, 07:39 PM)
Besiders I wouldn't want to accidently show a spoiler.

Oooooh....That's a great point.  Hadn't thought of that.  Yeah, better keep that feature out.