xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Media Problems!  (Read 127 times)

Oburi

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« on: March 26, 2005, 09:13:00 PM »

Hello,
I have been searching and reading old posts but I still have not found a solution. I have a Version 1.0 xbox with an Xbit 1.5 modchip. I have a Phillips dvd drive. I have also upgraded my HD to a Seagate 160GB. I have not been able to get any dvd media to read properly in my xbox. I am running the new Slayers and i have the M8+ bios installed. Can someone please help me get my drive reading backups? I have tried tdk + and - and also Memorex + and - and I just recently bought some Maxell DVD-R's that are the MXL RG03 type.

Any help much appreciated.
thanks!

Oburi <

PimpDawg

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 10:59:00 PM »

I have the same exact problem as you Oburi.  I have a 1.0 with a Philips drive and I have tried many different types of medai and none have worked worth a crap.  The closest I got was when I tried using Sony DVD-R and it loaded the game up (slowly) and then lagged pretty bad throughout the beginning credits and then 5 minutes later it gave me the dirty disc error.  Do Philips drives just suck at reading burned discs or what? <

Oburi

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 04:50:00 PM »

Thats really wierd. I would like to know the answer, and I am sure more people out there would also. Hopefully we can get some expert advise.

thanks for posting.
 :)

Oburi <

Highcode

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 04:58:00 PM »

From Experiance i would deffinately lean towards ,the suggestion that older Phillips drives are not very good at reading writable media.
I have one friend whos drive would not read any after lots of tests...

Things to take into consideration :

1. How are you making the iso to burn ?

2.what hardware & software used to burn image ?

3.What speed you burning at ?

have you tried Ritek G4\G5 i use these and the kids never have probs ,apart from jam all over em..

Highcode <

Oburi

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 05:25:00 PM »

Hello Highcode,
Thanks for your input.
I can tell you a little about the methods I have been using:

- I am using Qwix 1.0.1.8 to create the iso
- I am using FlashFXP to ftp folders from my xbox to my PC
- I am using Nero 6.6.01 Burning Rom to record the image at the lowest speed(usually 2.4X)
- I currently have Maxell 8X DVD-R Media (MXL RG03)
- I am using an external TDKDVDRW0404N USB DVD recorder

If anyone can help me get things workin right I would greatly appreciate it!

Regards.

This post has been edited by Oburi: Mar 28 2005, 01:28 AM <

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 07:35:00 PM »

Try DVD Decrypter to burn the ISO.  Also what burner are you using?  I can buy the TDK and Memorex discs not working since they have been outsourcing to manufacturers of questionable reputation.  Maxell however should be solid, although I have heard of some defective batches (I went through 6 15 packs of 4x MXL02 DVD-R discs that all had spotting in the dye).  Burner and firmware also make a huge difference.  Last I heard TDK was outsourcing to NEC but that could have changed.  Make sure you have the latest firmware.

This post has been edited by jesterrace777: Mar 28 2005, 03:36 AM <

Highcode

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 08:16:00 AM »

As a suggestion i would dump Qwix & use Craxtion (never had a prob)
and use either DVDdecrypter or Record now max..from my experiance i steer well clear of Nero for Xbox backups.. & try some Ritek Discs

Hope this helps you my friend

Highcode <

ILLusions0fGrander

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 08:28:00 AM »

and as ALWAYS... a plug for the obvious... ritek or yuden. can be had for 30 shipped a 100 pack and quality is what? guaranteed? yes.. you heard it... no gussing... but hey... if you people like going to these stores and paying high prices for low quality media... keep trying. <

lucifer69

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 11:03:00 AM »

I also have an old philips drive from a v1.1... it's is horrible, way worse than a thompson.  BENq dvd+r's seem to work ok though... maybe give those a try <

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »

I had an old Phillips drive (V1.0) and it worked just fine with Ritek G03/G04 backups and Taiyo Yuden TYG02.  Both are quality DVD-R. <

xenox

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 09:08:00 PM »

can be had for 30 shipped a 100 pack

Where exactly? <

GunPR

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 09:23:00 PM »

the best media i f0und so far are memorex..
i have problems with ritek verbatim old cds (like 5 6 years old) burned and lose data on them and the memorex still fine and the data there without problems

<

deacon187

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 10:00:00 PM »

i had a promlem before with a lite on +/- burner that no matter what format i burned disc wouldnt work, i took it back got a pioneer 105 and never had a problem

make sure your not missing files while ftping to the pc, and try different software combinations for your iso and burning

<

link2003

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2005, 12:01:00 PM »

The medias below are supposed to be able to be played on an Xbox.

TDK    CD-RW 650 MB 70 Min
 1-4X

TDK    CD-RW 700 MB 80 Min        
 1-4X

BASF   CD-RW 650 MB 70 Min
 1-4X

IMPEGA CD-RW 65 0MB 70 Min
 1-4X  

Philips CD-RW 650 MB 70 Min
 1-4X  

Pioneer
 DVS-R4700-T19
 4.7 GB

Pioneer
 DVS-R4700SP/N
 4.7 GB

Pioneer
 DVS-R470SD
 DVD-R
 4.7 GB

Pioneer
 DVS-RW470SD
 DVD-RW
 4.7 GB

Apple
 DVD-R 4.7-GB Media
 DVD-R
 4.7 GB

Mitsui
 Mitsui Gold General Format DVD-R 4.7 GB
 DVD-R
 4.7 GB

Some of the DVD-R media is hard to find.  I was able to get a hold of some Pioneer R470SD discs and are going to try them in the next few days.  Also, if media is giving you a problem, try videohelp.com's dvd player list.  The xbox is in there, and many people have submitted test results using tons of media.

Also, what is wrong exaclty.  Does the Xbox not even recognize the disc, or does nothing happen when you launch it?  If it recognizes but wont launch, then you have another problem. <

jesterrace777

• Archived User
Media Problems!
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 01:09:00 PM »

QUOTE(xenox @ Mar 29 2005, 03:03 AM)
Where exactly?

http://www.supermediastore.com.  It's actually $32 shipped for 4x value line TY discs.  Keep an eye out though as it isn't uncommon for there to be coupon codes to take additional $ off.  

At GunPR.  We aren't really talking about CD media here.  We are talking about DVDR.  Memorex isn't the best media by a long shot.  Ritek G03 and G04 DVD-R is definitely better than the CMC Mag or Prodisc produced DVDR that Memorex throws out there.  As always, you need to do more reaserch into who really produces discs before you can make such claims.  Doesn't do any good for you to recommend a Memorex disc when there really is no such thing (multiple manufacturers of varrying quality producing under the same label).  
 <