xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: People Learn To Optimize Backups The Right Way!  (Read 898 times)

gdestiny

• Archived User
People Learn To Optimize Backups The Right Way!
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2004, 04:09:00 PM »

Just to add my two cents...

I use an external off-the-shelf Sony DVD-ROM drive. (So I can save the Xbox drive from wear and tear.)

And I just use Qwik to ISO and burn w/ Nero.  I do notice the Sony drive seeking noisily  when loading some games. But I figure w/ an external drive, I can simply replace it if it goes bad.

Anyway, I'll look forward when CloneXB comes out so I can give it a try.

clonexb

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2004, 05:34:00 PM »

no i am referring to my original PAL version I just used the layout on it and it has saved the file as Halo 2_Ntsc.lyt

mmm sounds like maybe its a big in LayoutDumper, could you please mail me the .lyt at [email protected]

dontasciime

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2004, 05:05:00 AM »

Have sent it to you

Is there anyway to view this optomized disc, in the opt(layout) from the opt halo 2 dvd i created.

clonexb

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2004, 08:16:00 AM »

What do you mean exactly ?

dontasciime

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2004, 09:57:00 AM »

well once you  have this disc you have burnt using the layout etc.
I would like to verify that the files have indeed gone in the order they are supposed to according the the lyt file.

Now i use flashfxp to look at the backup of halo 2 that had the layout rearranged,, etc, but in flash fxp they are ordered by name, so i use the modified which should give a better indication of the actual layout.

Yet the fonts are still in alpabetical order, even though the info in forum and read me etc, states that other iso creators do not do it the best way, for example craxtion.
So the info says  to use the layout util, to arrange files etc in the best order (ie as close to the original as possible and not in alphabetical order like other iso creators.
I created the disc with MooGui/xdvdfs

moobar

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2004, 12:10:00 PM »

Looking at a disc from FTP will not show it in its organized order.

To see that everything went ok just dump the 'backup' with layout dumper and view the lyt file, but this time you'll notice in the layout file it will say:
'# SOURCE DISC : Backup'

clonexb

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2004, 03:05:00 PM »

smile.gif

EthanHunt_IMF

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2004, 11:30:00 PM »

Glad to see someone try and get the word out. I started using this method when I started backing up my games and Deus Ex gave me a problem loading, I'm sure it was something I did wrong but after creating an optomized ISO it work perfectly so I stuck with the mooGUI/xdvdfs method.

Let me just repeat what has already been said, anyone with some spare time can be of help by uploading lyt files to the Xbox Game Disc Layout Site that aren't already there.

total_ass

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2004, 04:37:00 AM »

clonexb, i have also had a similar bug where it saves my PAL layouts as NTSC, with several of my games.

da_xman

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2004, 03:06:00 AM »

Ok, after my Craxtion 4.0 stopped working on me, I decided to use mooGUI and XDVDFS to create my backups.  It did take me about 5-10minutes to learn how to use it and I must say that it kicks ass.  An optimized backup versus a regular .iso backup makes a bit difference and I have a Xbox 1.0 (w/Thompson drive).  It reads my TDK DVD-R discs and Memorex CD-RW great!  Keep up the good work moobar!  If I have any new .lyt files, I'll be sure to upload them.

-Xman

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2004, 07:59:00 AM »

glad to see the word spreading, and people uploading layouts to the site.

dontasciime

• Archived User
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2004, 09:12:00 AM »

What i do not understand about these optimized backups, are they do not follow the xbox iso standard. Like gdfimage. As after creating these xbox iso images using gdfimage , you cannot read them in normal pc dvd rom, yet using moo/gui xdfs etc, you can read iso using dvddecrypter and write iso. This seems strange, as this way must be using udf mode to burn, which was supposed to load slower than the xbox iso method using the mastering utility from MS.

dbldown768

• Archived User
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2004, 09:26:00 AM »

once u make a backup you should be able to use anything to make a copy of it.  For example, if you have a backup already, u can use Nero to make a copy of it by using the extra->saved tracks.  

works for any method of backups.

friedfish

• Archived User
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2004, 05:50:00 PM »

I experimented with this program last night and did get it to work, but I still have a couple of questions.

1.  Does these programs do any type of patching or do you still need to use a program like Craxtion for that?

2.  If you need to remove files from the game, i.e. in order to make it fit on to a dvd-r, do you just remove the files after you have ftp it to your pc and before you use Moogui and if so, does that have any impact on the .lyt file?

da_xman

• Archived User
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2004, 08:35:00 PM »

1.  I know mooGUI will patch xbe files just like Craxtion does.

2.  As far as modyfing the DVD layout to fit on a single DVD (removing vids, demos, etc.), I believe the .lyt of the whole DVD might not work since it's a modified .lyt now.

May have moobar or clownxb to answer this...or anyone more familiar with either frontend for XDVDFS.

-Xman
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8