xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Assigning Icons To Menu Items?  (Read 172 times)

jfullam

• Archived User
Assigning Icons To Menu Items?
« on: February 22, 2004, 02:30:00 AM »

Will we ever get a dash where we can assign icons to menu items (list presetnames in Ava)?  With all the cool things they are doing with Ava, it would seem (to the untrained eye) that this could be possible... is it not that important to most people or is it something that would be too difficult to do?

I find my startup menu so stark, it would be awesome to have the ability to assign some icons to these menu items some day:

user posted image

dobrodude

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2004, 09:24:00 AM »

I'd certainly like this feature. Avalaunch looks great already but this would make it even nicer to look at.

jfullam

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 05:20:00 AM »

I haven't tried this... I'm kinda thinking it won't work, but maybe someone can confirm...

What if I created a "dummy" default.xbe and put it in my root games directory.
Then I put an Avalaunch_icon.jpg with the "games" icon I would like in that directory as well.

Would I get the icon on my main menu? Even if I do get the icon, what will having a "dummy" default.xbe do when I select it off the main menu... will it just revert back to the main menu, will it crash,  or will it drop down to the next level games menu (which is what I would want)?

Just thinking out loud - if anyone has ideas, I would welcome them...

user posted image

PuddWakkr

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 08:11:00 AM »

I'm guessing it won't work. When you have a list your not pointing to a default.xbe your selecting a directory to be scanned. It's not even the same type of input in the xml. In order to get a selection named "games" with a icon you could indeed make an item"games" and point it to a default.xbe but it would not list your games or anything it would try to load your dummy.xbe and probably lock up ur box.

And actually on subject of icons for menu listings- I'd rather it just be left the way it is now. I'd rather see the effort be put into a new UI than just adding little updates to the existing one. Plus you know when those ava guys add a feature it'll break about 15 other features that work good now and I don't wanna take the risk of losing the ACAM. biggrin.gif

jfullam

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 10:12:00 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.   Excuse me for asking this (on the Ava forum), but are there any other Dashes that CAN do this? I've played around the unleashx, but I have not noticed any differences in the way the preset lists are displayed...

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »

This is totally of topic but, can one of you guys possible send me that Red2 skin. I dont have braodband and thats the only way to get it. I did vote "YES" though.  biggrin.gif

unleashx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 08:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (jfullam @ Feb 24 2004, 03:12 AM)
Thanks for the feedback.   Excuse me for asking this (on the Ava forum), but are there any other Dashes that CAN do this? I've played around the unleashx, but I have not noticed any differences in the way the preset lists are displayed...

Yes, UnleashX can.

jfullam

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004, 02:41:00 AM »

unleashx,

Is assigning icons to list menu items done within the xml? If not, how?

EDIT:  I just read the unleashx tutorial and I see it can be assigned in the List Text section of the xml... cool - I will try it out...

pimp

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2004, 03:57:00 PM »

you can get a icon for the Xbox media player in the main dash.

Moleman

• Recovered User
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2004, 05:47:00 PM »

Just put a default.png in the folder you want, Ava should see it, and you have menu items.  SOmeone try this.

pimp

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 01:19:00 PM »

Moleman Posted on Mar 9 2004, 03:47 AM
  Just put a default.png in the folder you want, Ava should see it, and you have menu items. SOmeone try this. 

just tryed this and it didn't work.

p.h.x

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2004, 08:19:00 AM »

Here's an idea:
Add the icons to the skin itself.
It's certainly not a flawless solution, since these icons will not be enlarged and displayed on the right side of the screen. Of course, you should then have an icon for every item in your launch menu - or else the icon "attached" to the skin will shine through.

user posted image

oh well ...

Moleman

• Recovered User
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2004, 03:08:00 PM »

That's a HOT chick!  Butt you have a good idea.

rob1309

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2004, 05:12:00 PM »

if it happens it happens. if not, i'm gonna live cuz it's no big deal and team ava already does so much

Corspegrinder99

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2004, 05:26:00 PM »

smile.gif
Pages: [1] 2