xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blurred Text  (Read 67 times)

rob1309

• Recovered User
Blurred Text
« on: November 26, 2003, 01:38:00 PM »

it's not a bug or a config problem
it's just small text smile.gif
looks fine on my tv and one by my pc

PuddWakkr

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2003, 01:52:00 PM »

I think this is because the text in Ava is not anti-aliased. Correct me if I'm wrong though. blink.gif

the joker

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2003, 03:18:00 PM »

AA is set to max actually.

jaga

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2003, 06:11:00 PM »

Not to be anti avalaunch or anything, but joele is right. The fonts just don't look right and really detract from
what is a great project. The fonts really aren't on par with anything that you'd see in xbmp, evox, xmbc,boxplorer...
-- and I did go ahead and try different ttf files to see if that would help, but it's something in how they
are being drawn.

joele

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 06:17:00 PM »

^^^ Someone else understands LOL, P.S. i am not trying to be anti-avalaunch either as was said above it is a great dashboard but to me the fonts detract greatly from the overall look....

jfullam

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2003, 02:04:00 AM »

I agree... I love the Ava dash but have tried many different fonts in search of making the appearance look "tight"... all the fonts looks the same..."blurry" is a good description. I wonder what Evox and MXM do differently when displaying menu text?

the joker

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 02:05:00 AM »

I'm guessing the ttf is the problem tho, but these issues wont be looked at until we get UI running.  Waste of time to work on ui stuff till it's rewritten =)

BigGanja

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 03:54:00 AM »

AvaLaunch RoxX

btW are ya using the 3pin cable that came with your xbox still,

that makes it look blurry to me, get urself an RGB scart or super high definition cable if ya have a HDTV

Just a thought, coz i know my 3pin (cheap crap) they pack with these xboxs seems to bleed colours and ghost images, but yea, get a RGB scart m8, it makes the world of difference TRUST ME !! biggrin.gif

Joshua Wood

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2003, 02:05:00 AM »

It might be partly avalaunch's doing, but def also in part the tv. On mine, I have about 4 presets. Dunno what they change, but I think presets like Soft, Dynamic, Sharp etc. Soft gives the best looking txt, the others are pretty ugly, but even soft, with the small txt it is a bit fuzzy still. I can read it, in part because I know what it's supposed to say wink.gif

I'm not really concerned, sicne I don't need to know this stuff. Just the main menu, whcih is easy enough to read.

jfullam

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2003, 02:30:00 AM »

Same T.V. on both

AVA - (Blurry)
user posted image

Evox - (Crisp)
user posted image

Aron Parsons

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2003, 10:05:00 AM »

I have to agree it's not clear, but the right choice of font makes it look much better.  The default font (don't even know what it was called) was very bad, but I switched to Times New Roman @ 11pt and it looks good/better now.  Some fonts were very bad, some okay, this works for me (component cables to a 27" Sony WEGA, fonts look the same on a 57" Sony HDTV as well).

hydraulix

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2003, 06:40:00 AM »

I hate to say it, but the first time I loaded Ava, that was the first thing I noticed.

I've run through over 100 of the fonts I have, trying to find one that looks decent without anti aliasing (or maxed as some say), to no avail.

I have a few "square" fonts that look acceptable, but for whatever reason, they are extremely large in avalaunch even when set to something like size=9, the "size=" tag does not function.

Im really syched to get the new UI in my hands. Its really going to help skinners out as well as give the dash a fresh clean look. I cant wait to start skinning with it.

muerte

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2003, 07:05:00 AM »

i don't know why, but if you look at the screenshots for unleashx... the fonts look normal :/

jfullam

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2003, 07:44:00 AM »

QUOTE (muerte @ Nov 29 2003, 05:05 PM)
i don't know why, but if you look at the screenshots for unleashx... the fonts look normal :/

Would you recommend I make the switch from Ava to Unleashx? It wasn't on my radar at all until you mentioned it, did some research and it looks pretty sweeeet.

muerte

• Archived User
Blurred Text
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2003, 10:36:00 AM »

QUOTE (jfullam @ Nov 29 2003, 11:44 AM)
QUOTE (muerte @ Nov 29 2003, 05:05 PM)

Would you recommend I make the switch from Ava to Unleashx? It wasn't on my radar at all until you mentioned it, did some research and it looks pretty sweeeet.

Actually, I would not suggest this.  I personally like the look and feel of ava much more, and I find many of the features in Unleashx.... quite dumbed down.  I'd stay with ava, especially since we haven't seen the next release for ava yet smile.gif
Pages: [1] 2