xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Please Merge With The Xbmp Team.  (Read 71 times)

the joker

• Archived User
Please Merge With The Xbmp Team.
« on: May 31, 2003, 04:24:00 AM »

there's so many reasons to not merge with xbmp. But it all boils down to :

"it's what the developers want - not what you want"  smile.gif   I'm not putting it into a nazi kind of way, but if we did that we'd kill the project we've worked so hard for. Our testers has done an incredible job, and really many of those has put efforts into shaping it into what it is.

But mainly - you can't just put two projects together.  There's limits on what the xbox can do - and I belive both xbmp and avalaunch goes to the edge on that limit. Putting them together like it's no - is impossible....even if we wanted to.

TwisTz

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 04:30:00 AM »

Dude you can't just merge two projects together....

Why don't you just use Ava as your main dash and XBMP as an app if you are so desperate for both features lol...  laugh.gif

LumbraX

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 05:59:00 AM »

XBMP is just what it sounds like, A Media Player, people just use it as there main dashboard for some odd reason but it is still a Media Player, I think Team XBMP just needs to concentrate on Media features instead of dashboard ones...

Go learn some Visual C and DirectX and then you can add these features yourself to XBMP, since its OpenSource.  wink.gif

azninvasion

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 12:00:00 PM »

One thing I would like to see collaborated is the standardization of fatx2 and implementation into xbmp..  That alone would be nice.. =)

>lys<

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 12:58:00 PM »

One thing I would like to see collaborated is the standardization of fatx2 and implementation into xbmp.. That alone would be nice.. =)

FATX2 doesn't work as it's supposed to. FATX3 is almost ready, and will be released as a code library so that anyone can use it.

-Team Avalauch

theLameOne

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 01:58:00 AM »

QUOTE (deltop @ May 31 2003, 11:44 PM)
Xbmp is a very complicated piece of software (as is Avalaunch) due to the large number of codecs and features the coders are trying to successfully implement. Remember developers only have a finite ammount of memory to work with due to the xbox's architecture. The xbox doesn't have a underlying operating system to work with so devs are stuck with coding everything from scratch. Each xbe runs independantly of any other. Trying to add all the features of Avalaunch to xbmp would just be impossible and would just slow it down WAY too much.

Huh?
This is totally wrong. Memory is not a limitation (really, its not), and the dashboard doesn't act as a underlying OS, you could have boXplorer as your dash if you wanted.

Why collaborate when XBMP is open source? Avalaunch programmers can easily pick off the features they like already.

the joker

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2003, 02:55:00 AM »

well explained :-)

And stuffing something like avalaunch into it wouldn't help, that eats all threads already at startup  smile.gif

sk8dog

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2003, 07:16:00 AM »

the one thing i think would be worthwhile and that would make sense would be to add mp3 player to ava.  i agree with everyone who says xbmp is a media player.  ur in ava doing whatever, u wanna watch a movie?  then go into xbmp and watch it, interruption free.  i think any kind of video playback in ava would be pointless.  mp3 player support as implimented in the game black and white for instance is cool and makes sense.  most people already like to listen to music as they do pretty much anything.  with a keyboard hooked to ava, it would be cool to be in irc and hit the home button or scroll lock or something to pop up an mp3 player from the right to manage what ur listening to [perhaps shoutcast support  =) ] then hit it again to make it disappear.  if i could develope it i would.  my thoughts

the joker

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2003, 08:21:00 AM »

ava 0.45 has mp3 player.

sk8dog

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2003, 08:31:00 AM »

well u mean background mp3 right?  u cant control it like say winamp can u?

LumbraX

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2003, 10:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (sk8dog @ Jun 4 2003, 04:31 PM)
well u mean background mp3 right?  u cant control it like say winamp can u?

Yes for the first question, and No for the 2nd, its just a basic MP3 Player that will play MP3s at the start of AvaLaunch, (Just XBMP if you want to play MP3's on your Xbox).

sk8dog

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2003, 12:00:00 PM »

so yeah, i was right in my thinking.  thats what i thought, i was talking about making some little panel pop out or whatever that had the basic functions [rev play ffw pause stop] and perhaps a directory list thingie. would that not be nice?

the joker

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2003, 04:24:00 PM »

controllable to a certain extent - thumbbuttons will change songs / pause

sk8dog

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2003, 05:52:00 PM »

QUOTE (Palt @ Jun 5 2003, 04:24 PM)
QUOTE (sk8dog @ Jun 5 2003, 09:00 PM)
so yeah, i was right in my thinking.  thats what i thought, i was talking about making some little panel pop out or whatever that had the basic functions [rev play ffw pause stop] and perhaps a directory list thingie. would that not be nice?