xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Evol Vs Avallaunch ...discussed Nicely!  (Read 90 times)

rgtaa

• Archived User
Evol Vs Avallaunch ...discussed Nicely!
« on: May 29, 2003, 05:06:00 AM »

Sorry in advance if this has been discussed many times here but I had to ask ....   smile.gif

Which program is your DASH of Choice:
Evol or Avalaunch ...  and why?

What features do you LIKE the best

What don't you like about the programs.

The Selling features ... of both ... pro and con ...

A really good reason for discussing this today ... is the advances of both these programs...   so what was true 2 months ago ... may have changed with updates to both programs.
Thanks in advance!

jlm5151

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2003, 07:09:00 AM »

I actually think Media X Menu should be thrown into the mix. The recent updates has made it my main dash and it holds its own ver nicely. The interactive skins are a great change from the dull backgrounds provided by Evox and Avalaunch. The FTP speeds have been tweaked and I now get better speeds then I did on Evox. If anyone hasn't checked out the latest release, please do so, I doubt you will be dissapointed.

StOnD

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 10:36:00 AM »

EvoX is good for its basic features and stability, and because it was the first of its kind. But it's not keeping up with the other dashes in terms of features. I use EvoX for now but I will definately switch to avalaunch when it's more stable/ feature complete.

For the last 2 months? I think evox has pretty much stood still since it was first released.

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »

well said stond smile.gif

Morglum

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2003, 11:52:00 AM »

Well right no im using Evo-X, but im thinking of changing to either Avalaunch or MXM, basically for me its gonna come down to a few simple things.

1) Which of the 2 becomes most stable first.
2) Which becomes able to flash the BIOS.
3) Which will allow you to format new HDDs.

And thats about it, MXM has great media functions, but Avalaunch has so many built in functions, though i think that might be why Avalaunch is alittle slower to have a stable release, simply because there is so much code to debug, but once it becomes stable it will outrun the rest by far, just the first steps will be slow.

As for Evo-X, well, has it ever changed? Still looks and feels EXACTLY the same and you cant ever notice any differances with its operation at all. I'm beginning to think Evo-X has bit the dust, but with the way Avalaunch, MXM and even Nexgen are looking, do we even need Evo-X, i think not. Granted they were the first, but that should mean they have the experiance to take the lead with features, but they havent, theyve sat back and i personally think theyve stagnated. Its time for the oldies to move outa the way for the new breed of dashboards.

But thats just my opinion  tongue.gif

D3AdMan

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2003, 12:38:00 PM »

I love Evox's simplistic menus and super skin options and find it the easiest and headache free dash to use...  but I also like the MXM as a dash and multigame disc for it's previews, music and video backgrounds which causes a huge WOW factor with the buddies.  I think there will be no better dash then MXM when it has matured allittle bit more...  But I also hear BenJeremy is working on NexGen too soo...  I guess we'll just have to try them all and pick our favorites!  The Xbox is becoming more and more with every scene release and I can't wait to see what happens next.  PS2 emulation any1??   MUhaHAhahaa... laugh.gif

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2003, 04:51:00 PM »

another excellent dash is XBMP.

ihave avalaunch as my default dash, while the avalaunch cube spins in, if i hold A it boots to evox, X boots to XBMP, B boots to NexGen, and Y boots to MXM smile.gif

btz

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2003, 04:56:00 PM »

i use evox, cuz avalaunch didnt work.. bah..

Morglum

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2003, 06:09:00 PM »

Its a 1 off thing if you aint modding xboxs for other people sure. And i dont want to use Evo-X it sucks, its old and well, its just a bag of wank, didnt you read my earlier post fully?

dataprep

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2003, 01:13:00 AM »

I think evox is a good dash, after all how long do you spend looking at the dash, I spend about 30 seconds looking at it then I've loaded a game and i'm playing away.

Just my thoughts. beerchug.gif

the joker

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2003, 03:40:00 AM »

QUOTE (Morglum @ May 31 2003, 08:52 PM)

1) Which of the 2 becomes most stable first.
2) Which becomes able to flash the BIOS.
3) Which will allow you to format new HDDs.

1) stabillity is nuts hard to maintain with the variatios of systems and bioses - but as long as testers keep on like they are - it'll be ok on both dashes

2) flashing both via LPC and onboard has been in ava for a while, just not enabled since we can't test it out properly.

3) ava 0.46 can format harddrives. I couldn't get sleep a couple days ago having this on my mind - and I "stumbled" over the method I belive evo-x uses to format drives.  This is info we won't release, and I'm happy that team evo-x never gave it out, because it's incredible destructive.

and

4) Please turn this into a competition against MXM. I have great respect for their work, and BJ, which is their main programmer, has put an insane amount of effort into his work. Even tho I admit I've never tested it myself - the result reflects from the users comments about it.  
In my mind there's only 2 dashes worth mentionning atm... that is Ava and MXM.
Unstable ? Perhaps.
There's others coming ?  Absolutely.
they ain't 1.0 yet ?? Far from it.
But they are the only ones that is progressive, and they both let the users / testers shape it. That's what makes our dashes unique imho.

But in the end it's all about what people need, and what covers it best.

my 2 cents

-the joker

TwisTz

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2003, 03:56:00 AM »

QUOTE (the joker @ Jun 1 2003, 12:40 PM)
ava 0.46 can format harddrives. I couldn't get sleep a couple days ago having this on my mind - and I "stumbled" over the method I belive evo-x uses to format drives.  This is info we won't release, and I'm happy that team evo-x never gave it out, because it's incredibly destructive.

sad.gif Incredibly Destructive?

I formatted my drive with EvoX =P

you're scaring me TJ hehe laugh.gif

the joker

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2003, 03:59:00 AM »

smile.gif
I spendt an hour or so to rebuild my devkit xbox, and I don't want it to be too simple to use - so a friend or a little brother don't format it accidentally.

TwisTz

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2003, 04:03:00 AM »

QUOTE (the joker @ Jun 1 2003, 12:59 PM)
well, in order to prove for myself that it worked - I had to format something smile.gif
I spendt an hour or so to rebuild my devkit xbox, and I don't want it to be too simple to use - so a friend or a little brother don't format it accidentally.

hehe  laugh.gif

good idea!

the joker

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2003, 05:21:00 AM »

think a .bat file thingie is in it's place so people can screw their xbox as much up as they wants  hehe
Pages: [1] 2