xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Installing Evox Without A Bootdisk?  (Read 45 times)

gruntLOL

• Archived User
Installing Evox Without A Bootdisk?
« on: August 23, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »

I know it seems pretty simple but I just want to double check what I need to do. I am currently running a softmodded xbox using ndure's xboxhdm installer. It by default has xunleash as its dash and resultantly I can't backup my eeprom which I know evox can do. Being that the box is softmodded I'm almost certain that I can just ftp the files over but I'm not sure what to replace. Do I just rename the evoxdash.xbe file to default and over write the existing one along with putting the ini into the same folder?

I've had a read of the stickies but all they point to is how to use a boot disk. I was wondering if I could get a quick step by step guide on how to ftp it over to run the dash. I merely need to backup my eeprom and then I'll decide if I want to go back to unleashx or stick with evox.

Cheers.

1hotjob

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »

You can run Evox as an app and do the back up. Just put a new folder - Evox - in the E:\Apps folder. FTP the Evox.xbe (or whatever your's is named) and the evox.ini. The Evox.xbe will need to be renamed default.xbe in that folder.

Look through the Evox.ini and make sure there is a section for backup. If not, you can read the pinned topics on editing the Evox.ini file and add it.

gruntLOL

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 01:31:00 AM »

Thankyou very much I'll try it now and see how it all goes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

gruntLOL

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 01:49:00 AM »

I've run the backup and copied the E:\backup folder but I still can't find eeprom.bin why is this?

Well I have the whole HDD of the xbox on my PC now so atleast I won't run into troubles hopefully. Being that I want to make a rescue disk I need my eeprom I believe so I was wondering where I could get this from or how you extract it from the files I have its the only thing I can't work out properly.

Cheers.

This post has been edited by gruntLOL: Aug 24 2007, 08:57 AM

gruntLOL

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 09:06:00 AM »

I think I need to update my evox.ini to allow for backup but if I search the pinned topics the only time the word backup is even mentioned is just on a menu item. I was wondering if you could show me what I needed to add I really want this eeprom to avoid any future complications.

DarkMatter

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 05:53:00 PM »

In section "Root" of the evox.ini file, place the following exactly the way it is:
Item "Backup",@11
Hope the above helps.
Regards,
DarkMatter

gruntLOL

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 06:00:00 PM »

QUOTE(DarkMatter @ Aug 25 2007, 09:23 AM) *

In section "Root" of the evox.ini file, place the following exactly the way it is:
Item "Backup",@11
Hope the above helps.
Regards,
DarkMatter

Hey mate thats a ddump of my root, seems that backup is in the right place?

CODE
Section "Root"
{
    Item "Launch DVD",ID_Launch_DVD
    Item "Trainers",ID_trainer
    Item "MS Dashboard",ID_MS_Dash
    Item "Reboot",ID_Quick_Reboot
#    Item "Power Cycle",ID_Full_Reboot
    Item "Power Off",ID_Power_Off
#    Item "Lock Harddisk",@210
#    Item "Unlock Harddisk",@211
    Section "System Utils"
    {
        Item "Settings",ID_Settings
        Item "Flash BIOS",ID_Flash_Bios
        Item "Backup",ID_Backup
        Item "Skins",ID_Skins
    }

I might try and do the backup again when I get back from the LAN as it may not have worked correctly..

enemy hero

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 02:26:00 AM »

just download a program that is an eeprom tool like config magic final or hdd tools and go eeprom dump. dont dick around editing syntax if u haven't b4. if u overwrite/edit the evox.ini too many times it will corrupt and ur dashboard won't boot. and unless u have the evox disc to reinstall ur dashboard, u'll have to reflash ur bios.

This post has been edited by enemy hero: Aug 25 2007, 09:28 AM

gruntLOL

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 08:49:00 PM »

I know where to find config magic but havent found any info on it unless it was about how to change an eeprom.bin file. Does this program run off of the HDD as an app or do I run it via my PC?

Cheers.

gruntLOL

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 04:58:00 AM »

my eeprom was there the whole time its just that I spose the tutorials assume that the evox dash is the default and as a result it puts it in E\backup (or whatever) but being that I am running it as an app it was actually in E:\apps\evox\backup\eeprom.bin But I have it now so no panicking for me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)