xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Dts Audio From Xbox  (Read 186 times)

oNee

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« on: August 20, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »

Hey guys, im probably gonna either get yelled at for repeating the same topic over (i did do a search for DTS Xbox and didnt find what i was looking for) or im gonna get called an idiot because of my stupidity (im willing to take that risk).

I was wondering is there something i could FTP to my xbox that would take the DTS audio from a DVD (DTS audio only on it) and reencode it to DD5.1 or some other sound that would play out of the xbox? The Movie is Superbit Blackhawk Down DVD DTS6.1 and i dont have that optical thing or a reciever that can read DTS 6.1. So im trying to avoid upgrading everything for this one movie.

is there a codec or driver out that mihgt help me out? Thanks for your help and sorry for my stupidity ahead of time.  :D

oNee

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 04:41:00 PM »

aight well based on the 25 or so views and 0 replies im guessing there is nothing like i mentioned above? Well my dream was short lived, just thought since i can download a codec to decode DTS  and play through my PC speakers that maybe there was something similar for the xbox.

irfan

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 05:26:00 PM »

if there is an application for the PC that can encode DTS into DD, then copy the files to your computer, re-encode the DTS to DD on your PC, then send it back over to the xbox? with this you would have to play it off of your HD and not the DVD, unless you have a DVD burner

phire

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 12:49:00 PM »

if you dont havea digital audio capable xbox/reciever/5.1/6.1 surround speaker set, you wont be able to use the DTS track.

xboxofniet

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 04:04:00 PM »

Doesn't the xbox support DTS sound?

I almost bought a Logitech Z-680 speakerset (optical) and the advanced AV cable. But when the xbox doesn't support DTS.

Who can tell me?

ShastaO

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 05:00:00 PM »

From Amazon entry for that movie:
"The Superbit titles utilize a special high bit rate digital encoding process which optimizes video quality while offering a choice of both DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 audio."

Why would you want to reencode to Dolby when Dolby is already on the disc to begin with?

spillage

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 06:21:00 PM »

The xbox does support DTS from DVD, but not from CD as far as I have found anyways. An encoder to convert DTS to DD is unlikey to exist, at least not for the public. Converting one codec to another is not easy at the best of times, especially ones of the complexity we're talking about here.

t_skraggs

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2004, 09:55:00 PM »

QUOTE (oNee @ Aug 20 2004, 08:39 PM)
(i did do a search for DTS Xbox and didnt find what i was looking for)

I searched for "DTS audio" and found many, many threads, including this one.  You just need to work on your search skills.  Sometimes more than one search string should be tried.

EvilWays

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004, 07:44:00 AM »

QUOTE (spillage @ Aug 27 2004, 01:21 AM)
The xbox does support DTS from DVD, but not from CD as far as I have found anyways.

Hmm...I was told that the Xbox will only pass DTS encoded audio thru the audio port(s), and onto a DTS capable receiver, and not handle it directly unlike DD5.1 which it will handle directly.

originalself

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004, 08:59:00 AM »

if your reciever can't handel dts then you need to upgrade, and not just for that one movie. Recievers that can handel all the current audio standards are getting cheaper and cheaper.

thekid1000

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »

dude you dont need to upgrade anything
Just use XBMC it has DTS decoding support
play any dts movie and it will decode it fine
i can play my DTS movie through my TV
hope this helps
-Mike

EvilWays

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2004, 04:10:00 AM »

QUOTE (originalself @ Sep 19 2004, 03:59 PM)
if your reciever can't handel dts then you need to upgrade, and not just for that one movie. Recievers that can handel all the current audio standards are getting cheaper and cheaper.

Yeah, exactly.

Isn't the PS2 DTS capable?

fahrenheit

• Archived User
Dts Audio From Xbox
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2004, 04:48:00 AM »

QUOTE (EvilWays @ Sep 21 2004, 10:10 PM)
Isn't the PS2 DTS capable?

Yes, in-game too for compatible titles. GTA: Vice City in DTS sounds as good as anything on Xbox.

This post has been edited by fahrenheit on Sep 21 2004, 11:49 AM