xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Xbox As Tivo?  (Read 1853 times)

quall

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2004, 07:11:00 AM »

that's exactly what i was gonna suggest. Get an ati tv-wonder for $80. Record whatever shows you want (software for scheduling record times), then burn to a disk and watch on xbmp.

Corspegrinder99

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2004, 07:40:00 AM »

wishful thinking

ChrisF

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2004, 08:21:00 AM »

This topic needs to be put to rest.  I've seen so many threads on this.  No one wants to accept the fact that it's a shitty solution and then they won't spend their own time and money testing what they believe is worthwhile yet they expect someone else to do it.  

It is the equivalent to:

"I don't have a car but I modded my xbox.  Could I put wheels on my xbox and drive it around town?  Will I have to upgrade the processor or run Linux to do this?  I can play driving games on it so I should be able to drive it right?"

Beelzabub

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2004, 10:19:00 AM »

I believe that thing that MS is going to release later in the yr is going to work like mythtv does, where xbox will be a frontend? Correct me if I am wrong... Here is what I am talking about http://www.MS.com/wi...extenderkit.asp

Beelzabub

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2004, 10:52:00 AM »

sad.gif

Mr. Blonde

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2004, 11:21:00 AM »

QUOTE (phire @ Jan 23 2004, 09:36 PM)
www.snapstream.com, basically the software runs on a pc with a tv tuner in it, it uses xml to create the tv guide, and encodes like a norenal pc with a tv tuner would with very nice scheduling features, the only difference and the reason this will work, is because that software and the pc acts effectively as a pvr server... you can run client software on the xbox in linux, or on any other pc on your network, which show the current tv guide for live tv over ethernet, as well as picking what you want the pc to record later on! select what you want recorded, and let the pc do the work... at that point you can also switch to already recorded menu (or use xbmp/c) and playback the stream through your network... very good solution to this 'want', give it a shot and lemme know how it goes for you...

Yes,
I am a big fan of Snap Stream and I really think it can compete with any of the Media Center stuff that M$ or HP is selling currently. Plus they have excellent customer support and updates at least every 5 months......

Beelzabub

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »

sad.gif for snapstream

Beelzabub

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2004, 01:38:00 PM »

QUOTE (Mr. Blonde @ Feb 18 2004, 09:21 PM)
QUOTE (phire @ Jan 23 2004, 09:36 PM)
www.snapstream.com, basically the software runs on a pc with a tv tuner in it, it uses xml to create the tv guide, and encodes like a norenal pc with a tv tuner would with very nice scheduling features, the only difference and the reason this will work, is because that software and the pc acts effectively as a pvr server... you can run client software on the xbox in linux, or on any other pc on your network, which show the current tv guide for live tv over ethernet, as well as picking what you want the pc to record later on! select what you want recorded, and let the pc do the work... at that point you can also switch to already recorded menu (or use xbmp/c) and playback the stream through your network... very good solution to this 'want', give it a shot and lemme know how it goes for you...

Yes,
I am a big fan of Snap Stream and I really think it can compete with any of the Media Center stuff that M$ or HP is selling currently. Plus they have excellent customer support and updates at least every 5 months......

I see it says "you can run client software on the xbox in linux, or on any other pc on your network," I dont see any linux client software for snapstream... ???

ChrisF

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2004, 07:15:00 PM »

QUOTE (ToeCutter @ Feb 20 2004, 11:26 PM)
For those who care, this solution would result in EXTREMELY poor video capture.

USB 1.1 only has enough bandwidth to capture video at 320x240 @ 30 fps. Considering that Tivo captures video at ~720x480 @ 30 fps (high quality), you'd be reducing video quality by 75%, something like an MPEG1 VideoCD.

USB 2.0 has more than enough bandwidth for 720x480, but the Xbox doesn't support it. I've searched the web thoroughly for anyone attempting to add decent (USB 2.0 or PCI) video capture to Xbox and it seems that everyone's pretty much given up on the concept.

Conclusion: Buy a Tivo...  wink.gif

You make a great point and it should be absolutely conclusive but unfortunately it has been made before and ignored.  The problem is that people are so used to their Xbox doing great stuff they think it can be rigged up to do anything - these people don't think very well nor do they listen (nor do they want to spend any money and this is the crux) and that is why this continues to pop up.

spyd4r

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »

use xbox-linux and freevo http://freevo.sourceforge.net/

Orgasmic Chilli

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2004, 06:15:00 AM »

QUOTE (spyd4r @ Feb 23 2004, 05:26 AM)
use xbox-linux and freevo http://freevo.sourceforge.net/

yes Freevo does work on the xbox except the pvr funtionality

simbot82

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2004, 12:17:00 AM »

Ok I just had cable TV installed at my house and I want to record certain programs and stream them to my xbox. What options in regards to streaming and capturing do I have? Would the quality really be that poor with a USB capture card plugged into xbox?

Cheers for any assistance

simbot82

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2004, 04:56:00 PM »

Anyway help? 21 views and no opinions?

SigTom

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2004, 10:16:00 PM »

You need a seperate PVR that will record and store the TV shows you want.  On the HDD of the PVR, set up a smb share and you can stream anything you want to your XBox.  Your XBox CAN NOT be used as a PVR.  OK I guess it COULD be used, but the quality would be so piss poor.  So buy a Replay TV set and XBMC will work with it after some fiddling with it, or build your own Linux PVR like I did.

simbot82

• Archived User
Xbox As Tivo?
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2004, 05:10:00 PM »

Yeah i would be interested in that as well. When yu say linux pvr you mean something like a Pc with linux and freevo don't you?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11