xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Hdtv Cables  (Read 2657 times)

miklos

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2004, 07:59:00 AM »

smile.gif

DBZRacer, I did the comparison at night and in total darkness with a direct connection from the Xbox to the X1 (xbox - HD pack - monster THX cable - X1). And I did not recalibrate the X1 - maybe I should have done that. Actually, I did not calibrate ever the X1 for the XBOX.

I did calibrate the X1 with Avia for my Sony DVD player (I do not really use the Xbox for DVD's ) and that is the setting I use for Xbox, TV, VCR and of course DVD.

I have tried however both the "movie" mode and the "presentation" mode of the X1 (the "movie" mode is the calibrated one, the "presentation" mode is the default for computer presentations).

There was no visible difference in either one of those modes. ( I have also tried the three different HD resolutions)

However: the color calibration of the Avia disc is quite useless for DLP Projectors (as realized by many) so I am not even sure if I could do at all a really good color calibration (sharpness, contrast, brightness are good). So if the real difference is in colors, that could explain, why I have not seen that difference.

Miklos

DuDeR MaN

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2004, 08:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (miklos @ Jan 6 2004, 12:59 PM)
DuDeR Man: For example car races really suck you in with such a big screen. (Sometimes visitors complain of "motion sickness...) smile.gif

84"... dear god.  Can I come over for the superbowl?  I'll bring the beerchug.gif

jopapa287

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2004, 04:38:00 AM »

tongue.gif  cool.gif

uziq

• Recovered User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2004, 08:03:00 PM »

I just wanted to add that I use a cheapo, no-name brand HD cable hookup (it cost $8.00 total after shipping from ebay).  It's got the 3 component hookups, plus the left and right RCA for audio.  When compared to the MS HDTV pak, there's no difference whatsoever.  this in on a 36" HDTV CRT though.  so maybe that's the reason.

ChrisF

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2004, 09:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (uziq @ Jan 10 2004, 06:03 AM)
I just wanted to add that I use a cheapo, no-name brand HD cable hookup (it cost $8.00 total after shipping from ebay).  It's got the 3 component hookups, plus the left and right RCA for audio.  When compared to the MS HDTV pak, there's no difference whatsoever.  this in on a 36" HDTV CRT though.  so maybe that's the reason.

I know someone who tested the Monster and the MS HD cables on a 36" Sony Wega (CRT based HDTV).  He also couldn't tell the difference.  Tube sets, even very good HDTV models, don't allow for the resolution of other options.  Combined with the smaller screens, it should really be a wash even to a fairly well trained eye.  The only ones reported to be horrible on all sets are the MadCatz.  I don't know much about the generics on ebay.

hculture

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2004, 02:00:00 AM »

ok im back from vacation, im really suprised to see how much of a hot topic this has been.

i have to agree with dbzracer, and all the tests he went through sound exactly like what i have tried. the only difference i can see in the tests are that i used a panasonic 50" lcd projection tv and a crt monitor. and yes, you will not get a wow factor like upgrading to the hd packs. you cant and wont get less aliasing, if anything it may become sharper at least from switching to an hd pack from composite and s-video sources. but the color is the wonderful difference in my own opinion. i have to say, with my tv, i havent experienced the wash out that you stated. but again my tv differs from yours. do you get the same washout from other sources? like cable tv signals and dvd signals during the day? i want to thank dbz and chrisf for all the time spent on this. you guys are the reason this site is the best.

buy monster cable if you cant or dont want to spend the time making your own, and for the amount of money the 400x is costing, i never felt ripped off. i will gladly pay 40 bucks for a cable that is going to a tv i paid 3000 for. that just makes sense to me. buy a good tv, buy good cables.

i am buying a 27" hdtv tomorrow and will post my findings and any differences as soon as it is in my kung-fu grip.

STEVEHABS

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2004, 02:31:00 AM »

Ok I have a  40 inch widescreen lcd hdtv panasonic with the 400x cables  someone talked about horrible audio on monsters cables i dunno if it was for my model they were talking about  but over normal cables  monsters sounds terrific Its so fucking loud and clear  I dont even wanna consider optical audio right now. MY TV GOES UP TO 63 IN VOLUME AND EVEN AT 17 -20 ITS VERY LOUD.  also  if u have rear projection like me with native 720 p support the resolution and graphics look amazing use soul calibur 2 for testing one of the few 720p xbox games. To me it was well worth the price the sound is clear and loud at low volume.

hope this helps might be a panasonic thing  i had bbe surround on by the way.
also to help i have a completely wireless network now   MS pci adapter  wireless router and  wireless xbox adapter   all i can say is i get 54 mb/s 6.7 megs a second or so for xbox live. use ebay and spend the cash for at least the router and xbox adapter.Ninja gaiden will be sweet on live.

To sum everything up  they are overpriced a little but for my tv its the best Also talking about over priced stuff  CORSAIR pc memory is overpriced but u definately get what u pay for.

thejt

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2004, 08:28:00 AM »

You all could go back and fourth on this topic until your blue in the face and get nowhere!  The fact of the matter is this!

1).  Most people dont even understand how important the standard front panel adjustments are: color, contrast, brightness, sharpness, picture and so on..  Much less how they should adjust them to correct certain display issues.

2).  EVERY set, cable, source IS DIFFERENT.  Your results may not be the same as another guys!

3.)  Value of cables is determined by each person at their own discretion.  Arguing about wether or not a cable is over priced or not is a waste of time.  Monster makes SO MANY different grades from reference quality to low budget.  I myself am extremely picky and have spent over $5,000 on cables alone and believe monster (video) cables are a good value.  I personally dont care for monster audio, for that I am a kimber kable kind of guy.  Just because I have a $300+ component cable for my xbox doesnt necessarily mean Im going to notice any improvement due to the first two variables above!

Now.. I have the M$ HDAV pack.. I use Monster Z3 Reference silver component video cables for it.   I do believe that the 400x is better in the fact that there is one less connection that has to be made due to the elimination of the break out box.. BUT, I dont think that outweights the fact that my Z3's are far superior to the 400x.  So, will I notice a diff between them, probably not.  This is why I will be hard wiring component connectors to the back panel of my xbox giving me the ultimate connection.

This gist of this whole thing is.. YOU and YOU ALONE know what cables are right for you and in your price range and what is worth spending on the very subtle differences you may find.

fezzman

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2004, 06:22:00 AM »

smile.gif

I bought the Pelican HD cables from Gamestop...guy at the store recommended them since I don't have surround.  If I had surround then he said it would be worth it to get the Monster.

I've got nothing else to compare these to...other than the standard a/v pack and the coax pack.  Compared to those two there is a day/night difference in both picture quality and sound.  My roommate noticed the difference immediately as well.

Sorry I can't compare these to any other brand.  The construction quality does seem to be pretty good with these too.  The cables are thick and well insulated...gold plated.  Nice snug fit.

I don't know if this brand was one of the "cheap" ones but I am definately impressed with them.

Oh yeah, 43" Hitachi.

beerchug.gif

Hercules Man

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2004, 10:58:00 AM »

Component video signal is crap dosent matter what tv you are using, im running a 32" Widescreen toshiba using RGB signal, cant beat it.

Hercules Man

STEVEHABS

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »

LoL keep on dreaming

Hercules Man

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2004, 01:17:00 AM »

I dont dream m8, i have seen component quality and the difference on my set between component and rgb are worlds apart.

Hercules Man

gamehack

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2004, 06:22:00 PM »

there is a retail discount program if your store sells them, i got my monster 400x for $24 shipping included brand new.  and yes there is a difference in quality, i find it funny that people who can afford an hdtv can't fork over the other $20-$30 for high end cables.  remember a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

ChrisF

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2004, 07:34:00 PM »

QUOTE (Hercules Man @ Jan 27 2004, 11:17 AM)
I dont dream m8, i have seen component quality and the difference on my set between component and rgb are worlds apart.

Hercules Man

Can you provide some information on what equipment, cables, and outputs you used to get your RGB setup?

STEVEHABS

• Archived User
Hdtv Cables
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2004, 05:39:00 AM »

composite cables arent better hercules and if u think they are for some reason what brand u using.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9