xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Found Ftp Speed Fix  (Read 79 times)

ty1er

• Archived User
Found Ftp Speed Fix
« on: January 22, 2003, 07:21:00 AM »

cool, fast ftping is always a good thing.

i just wanted to mention that i also has slow uploading speeds from PC > XBOX.

My solution was to switch my ftp cleint from bulletproof to FlashFTP.

Uploading speed:

BPftp = ~64kbps
FlashFTP = ~7000 to ~8000kbps ;-)

-ty1er

slamer

• Archived User
Found Ftp Speed Fix
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 07:22:00 AM »

blink.gif

athlonoc

• Archived User
Found Ftp Speed Fix
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2003, 12:00:00 PM »

I have already posted a comment on this kind of thing.

Didn't get much feedback, so not sure how anyone else got on, but the differnce was outstanding.

I ditched Flash and now use WEBDRIVE.

On big file it averages out at 11 to 12 meg per second, it even bursts to 14 - 15 meg.

I kid you not, I couldn't believe the difference. Flash hasn't had a look since.

For the record, I have Netgear Router and selfmade network cable.

Trying is believing.

Laters

Lee

makev80

• Archived User
Found Ftp Speed Fix
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2003, 05:23:00 PM »

QUOTE (athlonoc @ Jan 22 2003, 08:00 PM)
On big file it averages out at 11 to 12 meg per second, it even bursts to 14 - 15 meg.

Trying is believing.

Laters

Lee

Well I think that's impossible. Isn't the maximum speed 10 Mb/s for 100 Mbit line???

SweeneyTodd

• Archived User
Found Ftp Speed Fix
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2003, 09:36:00 PM »

smile.gif

But you can definately tell when a big download/upload is better or worse. I'm thinking different FTP clients help because of the way the EvoX FTP server is written.

In any case, thanks for the information, I'm off to try some different apps (and get a new IDE cable as soon as the stores open.)

friley

• Archived User
Found Ftp Speed Fix
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2003, 11:01:00 PM »

QUOTE (dkcp @ Jan 22 2003, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (makev80 @ Jan 23 2003, 01:23 AM)
Well I think that's impossible. Isn't the maximum speed 10 Mb/s for 100 Mbit line???

From my experiences the transfer rate in Mb is about 12% what the Mbit rate is. I find it highly unlikely that you could reach 14-15 mb. My bet would be on buggy software with badly written measurement routines.

That's because there are 8 bits in a byte => 1/8 => .125 ~ 12%. Thus, the theoretical maximum for 100Mbit half duplex is 12.5 MBps. Twice that for 100Mbit full duplex (but that's sending and receiving, so you could still only achieve 12.5MBps max one way).

erexx

• Archived User
Found Ftp Speed Fix
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2003, 11:20:00 PM »

L33

What FTP program are you using?

L33

• Archived User
Found Ftp Speed Fix
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2003, 12:53:00 AM »

L33

What FTP program are you using?

FlashFXP v2.0

no difference here, i swapped in a ata100 cable and it's still as slow (only 450k/s)

Are you still using the original HDD?? if so thats probably whats causing this.....that hdd is designed to be quiet rather than fast, its one of the cheapest seagates' available and its only a 5400rpm ata66 drive, so changing the cable to a uata100/133 cable will make no difference.

As for the transfer rate, as somebody pointed out there are 8 bits in a byte, so a 100mbit connection should shift a MAX of 12mb/s. i get around 8mb/s uploading which is fine for me. Downloading is still faster though for some reason, i believe its because of the fact that my pc has a faster CPU, more ram and a quicker HDD, allowing it to write data quicker.
note: its easier / quicker to read data than write it, so the xbox can read quick enough to feed the pc, but cannot write as quick as the pc can send data to it.

(hope thats easy to understand!? lol)
L

BTW: DOA: XBV is great, go out and buy it now!!

athlonoc

• Archived User
Found Ftp Speed Fix
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2003, 01:47:00 AM »

My comments about up to 15meg, were basically saying it burts and shows 15 meg Max per second it lasts as burst suggests about 4 or 5 seconds then it settles down to an average 11 - 12 meg.

All I was saying here is people seem to think flash is the way to go, and lets screw around with settings and cable etc etc. While I understand cables play a big part in file transfer, It was merely a suggestion that flash doesn't give good results for XBOX FTP, unless your lucky.

Look at the amount of posts over the months with ' FTP SPEEDS ' and what program do most people say they use.

WEBDRIVE did it for me and what a difference, on a previous post I did a comparison with dead or alive 3, I think. The benchmark was 3+ hours with flash, and just minutes with webdrive.

Nothing was changed other than an FTP program.

Hope my suggestion works for any of you lot like it did for me. I only posted because it is one of the common posts, and I know how it can do your heads in, waiting and waiting and waiting.

Have fun all

Lee

Hammy

• Archived User
Found Ftp Speed Fix
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2003, 01:50:00 AM »

laugh.gif

tvaldez

• Archived User
Found Ftp Speed Fix
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2003, 11:53:00 AM »

Just 2 cents
There are too many variables when ftping to figure out what is the fastest. Different softwares do help, but if its badly written it could be giving you inaccurate speed reading. Besides to many things affect speed including your pc.

A PC with more ram and or a faster processor in fact can have higher speeds. Just experiment. There is no formula.

I should add I have had my ftp go from 1500 to about 9000. Depends on the mood. My Xbox must be a female.

Jred

• Archived User
Found Ftp Speed Fix
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2003, 12:26:00 PM »

I thought a long time ago they said you couldn't use a standard ATA/100 cable.  That is why I never tried.  But i will now