xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ftp Transfer Speeds...  (Read 115 times)

rgtaa

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2003, 10:42:00 AM »

i don't see any difference in speed between my 120 gig  (7200)western digital and my samsung 120 gig (5600) ....

i get from PC to xbox  4 megs average

from xbox to PC 10 megs  average

i am using the lastest flashfxp and slayer 2.1 package  ...  with linksys router ...  

i doubled my speed from 6 months ago ... probably the new programs ... i don't see any thing else i did to get faster speed.

blackout_19

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2003, 02:57:00 PM »

With my xbox i'm getting:

about 9-10 MBytes/sec xbox hdd to pc

about 5-6 MBytes/sec pc to xbox (these speeds are the same for original hdd and upgraded one)

With philips dvd I was getting about 1.5-2 MBytes/sec but after replacing with a samsung that's gone up to about 7-7.5 MBytes/sec going from xbox dvd to pc.

This is with a realtec 10/100 nic, flash fxp and win xp pro using a crossover cable.

thisisvick

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2003, 03:46:00 PM »

ahh yes.. forgot.. also using... a SWITCH...... instead of cross cabling to the XBOX... so u might want to try that as well

sirp

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2003, 06:44:00 AM »

no different at all sad.gif

tried two network adapters, both as full/100 duplex..i either get speeds of 250 or 830k..weird

oh well...

reXem

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2003, 03:59:00 PM »

dont forget that some ppl are posting speeds in Bits and others in Bytes....1 byte = 8 bits so 5 mb is 5megabit which is 625kB

DBZRacer

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2003, 04:48:00 PM »

I recently ran into some problems with my transfer speeds from my xbox hd to my pc hd....

My network is setup with a linksys 4 port router. 1 port connected to an 8 port hub and the second port directly to my laptop.

PC and xbox are on the hub. Until recently my transfer speeds to and from the pc were excellent to the xbox. But now for some odd reason the speeds start off from being normal and slowly crawl down to a near stop.  blink.gif

Tranfser speeds from the laptop and xbox are unaffected however.

Anyone have any ideas?

Both laptop and PC are using flashFXP and running WinXP

xriddle

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2003, 07:23:00 AM »

The key here is duplex ... a hub can only run @ half duplex whereas a switch will run a full. Make sure you have a switch to get the max out of your speed.

DBZRacer

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2003, 09:10:00 AM »

See thats the odd part. The xbox is connected to the HUB and I my transfer speeds are fine on the laptop, even when the laptop is connected directly to the hub or router.

Anyone have any ideas on settings to tweak or change on my PC to get it back up to speed? Everything was working just as well on the PC until a couple of weeks ago. PC to laptop transfer speeds are normal as well but pc to xbox has gone to isht...

giskard

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2003, 01:03:00 PM »

I get approx 12MB per sec going from the XBox to the PC and about 9MB going the other way. I have an 120GB 7200 Maxtor in the XBox and an 80GM 8MB Cache Western Digital in the PC. But the thing that really makes the difference is a good quality Intel NIC in the PC. Oh and they're connected via a crossover cable.

Cheers,

G

cj2

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2003, 01:37:00 PM »

Whoops....  Resetting my D-link router seems to have fixed that problem!

SBDJ

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2003, 08:04:00 AM »

QUOTE (thisisvick @ May 21 2003, 12:44 AM)
soo i have to admit.. i was gettin.. aournd 120kps.. horrible speeds.. this is what u can do..

YOUR PC IP : 192.168.0.7
XBOX IP: 192.168.08
(apparently their ips set up for broadcast)

subnet mask on BOTH XBOX and PC
well i forgot how many 255s but make sure the last one is 128 not 0

go to configure and change link speed to 100mbs/FULL

save all settings....

try it now
let me know when it works

Just to put anyone straight who has read that post and tinkered with their network settings:

It's the 100Mb/s Full Duplex part of that post makes the difference. That IP stuff is absolute crap! A 25 bit mask (255.255.255.128) gives you a subnet range of .0 to .127 (.0 being network identifier, and .127 being the broadcast address). This means that .1 through .126 are available for use. .7 and .8 are no different from any other IP address in that range. There is certainly no reason to subnet down the Class C network from it's implied 24 bit mask (255.255.255.0). Whilst you can change the broadcast address used by some devices, by default, 99.999999999999% of devices use the last network address for the broadcast address, and lets face it, who likes broadcast traffic anyway?!

Other things that may affect transfer speeds (other than network setup) are the HD in the xbox, the size of the files being uploaded (FTP protocol/filesystem overheads) and any IP stack tinkering you may have done to attempt to optimize your internet connection laugh.gif

NightL1fe

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2003, 08:44:00 PM »

Whoops.... Resetting my D-link router seems to have fixed that problem!

yup that fixed my 4 port linksys too..

some reason i dont know why i was getting 7-12mb then dropped down to 300-400kb today.. unlplugged the router and let it cool down.. and now everything back to normAL

hump

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2003, 04:45:00 PM »

i get pc2xbox 8.5~9.5mb xbox2pc i get 12.5~13.5mb.

i dont mess with it.

jcleveque

• Archived User
Ftp Transfer Speeds...
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2003, 12:15:00 PM »

Alright, well has anyone been using wireless file transfer? I've got a linksys wireless router with the Xbox also hooked up wirelessly (the computer and Xbox are in two VERY different parts of the house, so that's why I did it this way). I'm getting speeds of about 500KBps. Any thoughts on how to speed this up? Using FlashFXP, turned off "passive" in preferences.
Also, there are occasionally files that, when I try to transfer them, have a transfer speed which slows down continuously until it just stops transferring altogether. I thought that maybe the files were not written correctly to the HDD, but I copied them to another part of the drive using boxplorer (actually copied them onto another partition), and they are still giving the same problem. Any thoughts?
Pages: 1 [2]