xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Evo X...or Xbox Media Center?  (Read 1712 times)

sra1019023

• Archived User
Evo X...or Xbox Media Center?
« on: April 12, 2005, 07:37:00 AM »

which would be a better dashboard to use???? i dont know anything about either of them?? <

mrRobinson

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2005, 08:41:00 AM »

they are night and day different.  Figure out what you want to do, research a bit, and make the decision for yourself. <

P3ST4

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2005, 10:10:00 AM »

i use evoX cuz u can access ur system cache folders during FTPing....with XBMC u cant <

sra1019023

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »

why would you want to access your systems cache folders??? and what exactly are they?? <

bengaldave

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 07:46:00 AM »

Do any of the dashboards fix file names during ftp.

I noticed XBMC fixes names when compying them from CD/DVD <

Sigwood

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 08:36:00 AM »

mrRobinson is correct in saying that these dashboards are like night and day.  EvoX is a very simple yet effective dashboard with some good features (trainers, etc.) whereas XBMC is a fully featured media centre for your Xbox that also includes KAI support among other things.  If you are planning on playing many different types of media files on your Xbox, then use XBMC.  If you just need a launcher, use EvoX.  If a launcher is all you need, however, there are several options besides EvoX that you can look into.  mrRobinson was right on the money when he suggested that you need to decide what features you want in your dashboard, then do some research and pick the one that best suits you.  Everyone likes a different dashboard for different reasons, and the best person to pick a dashboard for you is you.  The nice thing about xbox is that if you do pick a dashboard to try it out, you are not stuck with it.  I tried a few before I stuck with one.  I actually have 2 dashboards on my machine because one didn't have all the features I wanted.  Many people have both a launcher dash, and XBMC for playing media.  So ultimately it comes down to research and experimentation.  But that's half the fun.  Good luck to you. <

P3ST4

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 08:28:00 AM »

why would you want to access your systems cache folders??? and what exactly are they??

system cache folders are the X, Y, Z folders...for example, when you load a halo map, it stores the map in the system cache drive...instead of reading off of a cd, it reads off the HD which is much quicker........you can access your system cache and edit those cache files and mod anything that was in that file...ex. objects, shaders, lights..pretty much anything <