xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Using Windows Internet Connection Sharing  (Read 936 times)

Master Reefed

• Archived User
Using Windows Internet Connection Sharing
« on: March 30, 2005, 09:42:00 AM »

I have a PC (windows 98) downstairs thats connected to the router, and also and XBOX connected to the router, and I also have a PC upstairs connected to the router(Windows ME). I want to use ICS to connect another XBOX to the network through the PC upstairs (AWAY from the router), I hooked em up and ran the wizard ,. the XBOX CAN access that PC, but no others on the network. I have searched a lil and found there to be an IP conflict when using ICS and a router, because the router and the PC both wanna hand out 192.168 addresses.

Anyon know of a way around this, like how to setup the ICS to use a different sequence of numbers, like 193, or something...?

Any help would be apperciated greatly.

speanort

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 06:01:00 PM »

I am using ICS on my XP laptop to my xbox and it works fine. All you have to do is configure the NIC on your computer that you are connecting to your xbox with a static ip address such as 192.168.0.1 . Then on your xbox make sure the ip is something like 192.168.0.2, then the gateway is the same as your computer ip, which would be 192.168.0.1 . Then on your computer activate ICS on the NIC that is connected to the xbox. Hopefully you understood that right.

Sorry didn't read the question right. Sounds like you already have the xbox connected to the internet, but can't get it recognized on the network. Don't really have any advice.

This post has been edited by speanort: Apr 15 2005, 01:03 AM

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 11:14:00 AM »

ya, I gave up, I asked a guy at work who "knows" networking....and he said "buy another router" and apparently Im the only one who has this problem, cause google sure didnt help either.

speanort

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 01:34:00 PM »

If you have your xbox set up for samba then you should be able to do that. I forgot on mine I set up a new network place. When it asked for the address just put in "\\xbox\c" and this should share the c folder on your xbox. I dont have my xbox right now, so i can't really test if this is how i did it but you could try it yourself. Another thing is that I have XP and you have ME, but I don't know if that would really matter with this. As soon as I get my xbox back in my room and test some different things I will get back to you.

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 05:35:00 PM »

easiest thing to do...

IS NOT to buy another router, but to buy a little 4-port 10/100 switch (~$40).  then you can forget about having to worry about the ICS stuff, etc.  you plug the xbox (set to DHCP) into the switch.  you plug the PC into the switch.  you plug the switch into the router.

a switch is a handy thing to have around for things like this or if a friend comes over with a laptop and wants to borrow your internet connection with his/her laptop.  you can still try to debug the ICS thing.  there's alot things that could be wrong.  it could be just a matter of getting the right gateway address on the xbox or the IP conflict thing or the fact that the xbox is actually on a different network than the PCs and the router because of ICS.  just trial and error...compare gateway addresses between the xbox and the PCs.

if it were me though, i'd get the switch.  it's simple plug and play and easily moved if you need those extra ports at the other PC instead.

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 11:55:00 AM »

it just kinda pisses me off that I cant plug into that ALREADY existing nic card on the PC, way back when ...before I got the router, I used to use that nic with my one XBOX... but now that everything is hooked up through the router, that causes conflicts...apparently ICS uses the same settings as the router (192.XXX) and thats what the problem is, whenever I turn on ICS, I lose internet to that PC, and dont gain access to the network with either machine, can just see the two that are hooked up...(xbox can see that ONE PC, but NOT the rest of the network, and vice versa.)

And im kinda scared to trial and error, cause the PC im talking bout is my wifes work PC.   :P

speanort

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 12:49:00 PM »

if their is an ip conflict between the network, you could change the settings on your router to give out ips with a 193 prefix and then still use the 192 prefix with the ICS.

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 01:03:00 PM »

i understand the pissing off and not wanting to do the trial and error.  i didn't realize the PC also loses internet.  it does sound like an IP conflict.  you do want to change the IP scheme on the router, but not to 193.x.x.x

192.168.x.x and 10.x.x.x are address ranges set aside for private networks.  you will not find a server on the internet with addresses in these ranges for this reason.  you will find 193.x.x.x addressess on the internet.  it would be improper to assign a 193.x.x.x address to your router.  it may work, but could eventually cause some problems.

if your routers current local IP is 192.168.0.1, change it to 192.168.1.1
depending on your router, you may need to adjust the DHCP settings on the router.  these settings control what IPs your router hands out to the clients (PCs and xboxes).  you will want the DHCP range to be in the 192.168.1.x range as well.  once you have those settings in place and applied, power-cycle the router.  then reboot your PCs and xboxes.  (assuming they all get IP via DHCP from the router).  test internet on PCs.  then try the ICS stuff again.

but back to the trial and error stuff...is your wifes PC the one that is doing the ICS?  if not, there should be no reason to play with it.

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 01:29:00 PM »

also, don't be scared to play.  playing with IP addresses isn't going to break anything.  it will work or it won't work.  just remember/write down the original IP settings of your wifes PC and you can always put it back like it was.  (which was probably DHCP, which means you don't have to remember anything but that)

fear is the mind-killer

jceruti

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 02:29:00 PM »

It's not your router
I assume you would like to play system-link games between the two xboxs on the same network but with one xbox going through the PC upstairs using ICS. This is impossible because your second xbox will be on a different subnet, when you setup the ICS settings  it changes the second xbox to a different subnet of your home network while keeping your PC's IP on the main subnet, letting your xbox see the PC and it will even have internet access. But your xbox's will not be able to see each other because they are on two different subnets. And for you to play system-link the xboxs need to be on the same subnet.

I reccomend buying a little hub and plugging in your second xbox and your upstairs pc into that.

This post has been edited by jceruti: Apr 16 2005, 09:43 PM

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 03:51:00 PM »

first thing i recommended was a little 4port switch.  YOU DO NOT WANT A HUB!  there is a big difference between the two.

speanort

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »

if you wanted to play stystem link games just play on  Xlink Kai. I am sure that is not the main reason though.

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 03:55:00 PM »

thx for all the help, I will try later tonight, and let ya know.

so I should change the address of the router from 192.168.0.1  to 192.168.1.1 , then instead of using this XBOX through ICS, run the ICS to the other PC, then use the leftover router plug for the other XBOX, cause SYSTEM LINK IS the MAIN reason.... I can do everything else with a crossover cable.

I play on kai and already can connect both XBOXes to a game, BUT I have to unhook the downstairs PC to do it...if I could just use ICS to that other PC, then have both XBOXes on the router along with KAI, then I'm all good.

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 09:50:00 PM »

if you must use ICS, based on what you want to get out of your setup, doing ICS from PC to PC does sound like the best way to do it.  you can even use the network setup disk it will create.

but i'm curious, do you already have cat5/network/cross-over cable long enough to reach from the PC downstairs to the PC upstairs?  i just did some price checking and a 50' network cable is going to be between $15 and $20.   newegg has some 4-5port 10/100 switches for about the same price.  using the switch would make everything alot simpler in terms of your network topology and in terms of your effort to set it up.

http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductRes...ch&InnerCata=30

either way will work. good luck!

Master Reefed

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 06:01:00 AM »

lol
 I have a 50 foot patch cable,an ethernet connector, and a 3 foot crossover   :P