xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Looking For A Friendtech Dreamx 1480 Xbox  (Read 299 times)

RvN

• Archived User
Looking For A Friendtech Dreamx 1480 Xbox
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 05:39:00 PM »

Good luck with your purchase.

But I couldn't personally justify spending that much on an xbox with a 1.4 ghz processor. It's much easier (and cheaper) to just build a cheap p4 system, put a cheap tuner in it, and run mythtv. The only thing it wouldn't do is play xbox games, but it doesn't seem like you're concerned about that.

Anyway, i'll get off my soapbox now.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Perplexer

• Recovered User
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 11:24:00 PM »

QUOTE(RvN @ Aug 2 2006, 07:46 PM) *
It's much easier (and cheaper) to just build a cheap p4 system, put a cheap tuner in it, and run mythtv. The only thing it wouldn't do is play xbox games, but it doesn't seem like you're concerned about that.

Anyway, i'll get off my soapbox now.  (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Perplexer kicks RvN off the soapbox...

The best video card STILL can't do better TV-out than you'd get from the Xbox.  Plus, XBMC owns any alternative on the PC.

I'd also love a DreamX-1480, but I'm wishing REALLY HARD for a way to get homebrew on the 360...

A Murder of Crows

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »

I'd have to agree....as most of the major players in the scene have thier eyes focused on the 360....cracking homebrew code on it is the way to go....i've spent around $700 on my xbox, and getting the chip replaced is one of maybe 5 mods i'd consider (xerc lighting, integrated DVD dongle, integrated Logitech dongle, Millenium Falcon)

but in the end, the other mods seem more reasonable for the end product.....i can't justify the cost this would incur

NYCXBOX

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2006, 01:20:00 AM »

Wow - When did this Turn into a PICK ON NYCXBOX Thread and make fun of the Dream X Xbox.

Perplexer - Thanks for kind and correct words - your words are good as your Ram upgrades (and you have done many for me... - all of which I appreciate as none of those Xbox ever gave me a problem - PS: I finally used that Purple sprayed case you sold me - the guy I gave it to loved it.)

As for the $500+ for a DreamX Xbox....

As Perplexer Pointed out - The DreamX is the Best XBMC Xbox you can buy.  I don't care if you can build the ultimate Myth TV box for $500 - the 720p output of an Xbox is UNRIVALED to any other Media Center extender or wannabe device.  XBMC is the End all - be all - in Media centers.  It can scale DVD's to the GUI resolution - hence my DVD's play at 720p and look fantastic - OK maybe a DENON or other $300+ model Standalone Upscale player can do the same job or even a bit better - but what else does XBMC do....... Lets Examine.

I personal Have a 3 TB machine set up in my basement.  I download all my favorate TV shows (720p captures) Divx, XVid - and HD-Divx and the DreamX Xbox is the only way to go to watch some of these. THE HD stuff I have to watch through crappy PC output to a TV or Monitor.

If you ever Downloaded a 720P capture - IT studders alot with a Regular Xbox and 128 meg of ram (64 meg it freezes here and there).  My buddy has a DreamX -(AS I POINTED OUT EARLIER) and I have borrowed his and I hate to say it - Once you Experience XBMC on a DreamX Xbox - it slams any Extender Device - any MCPC or anythiing else out there.  MY TV collection as well as my Movie Collection, most of it, can be streamed through a regular Xbox - but the 720P and HD-DIVX - only a DREAMX With 1480Mhz processor will be able to decode a Stream and play it on your TV AT 720p with no studdering, slowdown, frameskips, dropped frames, ect.... + the Output of an Xbox is Amazing.

The only thing that I say will be better will be XBMC for the 360 when the homebrew thing happens.

Also XBMC asside. - Emulation on this Box is amazing.  Mame is alot more compatable.  As well as Sureal64 and the PSX emulator (forget the innitials) - The PSX emu is utterly amazing on this box.  Now before you go telling me that a PC can do all this - Do you really want a PC hooked up in a Viewing / theather room - or would you rather have a sleek Xbox with Avalaunch/exoX/Unleash (whatever you prefer) Dashboard - simple Menu selection - Seemless intergration of Emulator, applications, Xbox Games and Media Center Selection.  PLUS if you use the DreamX patching tool - 90% of xbox games play on the Dream X without a Hitch (Compatability used to be alot lower until this patch came out).

Is $500 a lot of money? YES
Do I Really have it to spend? Not really (Credit Card - Interest!!!! - will probibly cost me $600 once it's paid off)
Will I uterly enjoy it? YES
Do I already have a 200+ GB drive loaded and ready to be put in that sucker? YES I DO
How long will it take me from BOX to TV to get things going? about 5 minutes (HDD SWAP INCLUDED)
Will I Remove the Silly Media Key and put in my own modchip? YES, X3 most likely.
Might I even put a X3CP on there?  Im thinking about it.
Do I care that you think the price is Rediculas? NOPE as I already paid for it.
Was it a good deal if it ships? Hell yea - even 4 years later.
Will Xbox 360 media center be better? Yes, but lets get homebrew working first.

Any other questions?

PS: This is still a BST - SO lets keep to the thread.
IM still interested in LE Box's and Im selling a samsung 360 Premium - see my other thread in 360 shopping forums.

Thanks Guys....

Last thing - IF you have a DreamX For sale - Im still interested as my order Does not guaranty I will get one from the order I placed.

This post has been edited by NYCXBOX: Aug 3 2006, 08:37 AM

NYCXBOX

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2006, 12:58:00 AM »

No go on the Online - retailer.

sheepie

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2006, 05:11:00 PM »

damn:/ i really wish i got the dreamx when they first came out ive been looking for one for over a year now and always ended up missing em when every they turn up in the sales forum or ebay

Vatoloco64

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(RvN @ Aug 2 2006, 05:46 PM) *
But I couldn't personally justify spending that much on an xbox with a 1.4 ghz processor. It's much easier (and cheaper) to just build a cheap p4 system, put a cheap tuner in it, and run mythtv. The only thing it wouldn't do is play xbox games, but it doesn't seem like you're concerned about that.

I could justify spending a $1,000 on an Xbox that could playback high definition content. I have tried many different media center apps (MythTV, MediaPortal, MCE, Meedio) and they all suck rotting goat testicles when compared to XBMC.

I also still run MythTV on a machine in the basement. It runs only the backend. Guess what my frontend is? Yep, XBMCMythTV. It works great for scheduling and watching all the recorded programs. LiveTV is a little useless though as it takes about 10-15 seconds to buffer the station but I still prefer running it on the sleek XBMC interface where it is just a remote click away from all my network shared music and movies indexed with artwork covers and details.

sonofx51

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2006, 12:41:00 AM »

any luck finding one?

Arjun

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2006, 05:18:00 PM »

QUOTE(NYCXBOX @ Aug 7 2006, 08:05 AM) *

No go on the Online - retailer.

Dammit. Sorry about that man. I hope they gave your money back easily.
I'll keep my eyes out.

NYCXBOX

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2006, 06:11:00 PM »

I nver got Charged from them... They never answered by Email's either.
Im still looking for one. Would be nice if that Modder Above gets those 1ghz Mobo's up for sale. I still want one for XBMC.
Pages: 1 2 [3]