xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: Mxm Wip Releases  (Read 3174 times)

jlm5151

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #345 on: December 14, 2003, 06:02:00 PM »

Wow.....

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #346 on: December 14, 2003, 06:12:00 PM »

QUOTE (jlm5151 @ Dec 14 2003, 10:02 PM)
Wow.....

Heh heh... took me a while to figure out how to do it "right"

Now I have a nice generic system that responds nicely. Gamepads can have three "shift" keys defined, giving you (21*8)=168 possible commands out of the game pad (24 possible "button presses"-3 for shifting).

Even the IR remote has the ability to handle "shifting" - but it's a bit different; you have to press the shift keys (and release) before pressing the key to be shifted, basically meaning you can potentially use one, two, three or four key combinations on the IR for (24*8)=192 possible commands.

You can't change the Shift/Ctrl/Alt keys on the keyboard, no reason to anyway.

If you don't assign the 0-9 keys on the IR, the system passes them on as ASCII for use in input screens (like Passcode). Same thing with the keyboard... unassigned keys are passed on as VK_ keys and/or ASCII. Passcode screens work smoothly by typing in the passcode using the digits or keyboard, as well as the "UI" direction keys.

Menu presses will be faster with the gamepad. You can even set the repeat rates higher.

<REPEATDELAY>600</REPEATDELAY>
<REPEATTIME>70</REPEATTIME>

This means it will wait 600 milliseconds before doing the first repeat when holding a key down. After that, it will repeat the "key" every 70 milliseconds.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #347 on: December 15, 2003, 07:53:00 AM »

Well, any comments, "WIP" users? Good, bad?

thetruethugg

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #348 on: December 15, 2003, 08:34:00 AM »

I think most of us are at school/work.  But, I'm not, so I'll update in a few min after I test it out.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #349 on: December 15, 2003, 09:26:00 AM »

QUOTE (Taiger @ Dec 15 2003, 12:46 PM)
Wath is the requirement to become a WIP user smile.gif
Would bee nice to be able to try out the new input system ... rolleyes.gif

Yes, it would, but there are probably too many "WIP" users at the moment.

I've gererally added those who've put in a lot of input, either development-wise (as in scripts, skins, etc) or helping out (tutorials, answering questions here).

I hate to put anybody out, actually, but I can't sign everybody up.

On a side note, the input system is getting some tweaks, though I won't be able to mess with them until I get home - which will be late, since I've got a conference call to our Japanese team tonight. sad.gif

I'm going to implement a true help system, which will let users define help descriptions in their translation tables. These will be displayed in the help screens. Game help might be given a similar treatment, optionally... I have to still maintain compatibility with the older help screens, too.

The biggest thing about the help system is that it's configurable, and an important stepping-stone towards the "UI" - which means adding in stuff like a file manager and real dialogs for entering configuration info, for example.

For those familiar with windows programming, it's a lot like the Windows message queue. ActionScripting will get another boost when this is in place (I'm adding a plug-and-play scripts format: "xms" - xml script file where you'll also be able to define key translation tables and such)

thetruethugg

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #350 on: December 15, 2003, 11:24:00 AM »

The menu scrolling is MUCH faster, on the remote on gamepad.  It's great.  I didn't get to test the shift or ctrl modifiers, but I'll see what I can try with the keys.xml.

Yuyu

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #351 on: December 15, 2003, 11:34:00 AM »

QUOTE (thetruethugg @ Dec 15 2003, 03:24 PM)
The menu scrolling is MUCH faster, on the remote on gamepad.  It's great.  I didn't get to test the shift or ctrl modifiers, but I'll see what I can try with the keys.xml.

I too experienced this speed up in menu scrolling, I have not had time to test the other stuff but, will do here in about 2 hours or so... Hopefully will test everything added, but all is looking good so far  rolleyes.gif

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #352 on: December 15, 2003, 12:11:00 PM »

Thanks guys...

I'll add more of that functionality as we get closer to Christmas. Hopefully, tonight, I'll have the help screen stuff all done (had to move around a few things) and maybe ActionScript access.

I had to build another set of code to handle the new help screens - they are generated dynamically, so I'll yank the existing 'built in' graphics in favor of device icons/pics and use a layout.  I may have to add a new color modifier for skinning as well, so the background and text can match the skinner's desire (I'll have to update the system info screen with that, as well).

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #353 on: December 15, 2003, 12:19:00 PM »

Ok I got ftp funkyness with the wip in that I now have drives S T U V and none of them are my memory card S and V look like my tdata/udata folder and T and U look like mxm stuff and and drive D dosn't show either

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #354 on: December 15, 2003, 12:25:00 PM »

QUOTE (Jezz_X @ Dec 15 2003, 04:19 PM)
Ok I got ftp funkyness with the wip in that I now have drives S T U V and none of them are my memory card S and V look like my tdata/udata folder and T and U look like mxm stuff and and drive D dosn't show either

Yes, those were new changes...

FTP now serves up all mounted drives (including memory cards)

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #355 on: December 15, 2003, 12:32:00 PM »

yeah I know but it dosn't do my mem card thats what I'm saying it just adds drives that arn't it

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #356 on: December 15, 2003, 12:34:00 PM »

blink.gif strange

And even after ejecting the dvd reconnecting to mxm I still have D and Q displaying stuff thats now in the ejected DVD

Edit number 2 : seems I have to restart mxm in order to get rid of D and Q after ejecting the dvd

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #357 on: December 15, 2003, 12:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (Jezz_X @ Dec 15 2003, 04:34 PM)
Now after putting in a dvd I got Q drive thats a clone of D drive  blink.gif strange

And even after ejecting the dvd reconnecting to mxm I still have D and Q displaying stuff thats now in the ejected DVD

Edit number 2 : seems I have to restart mxm in order to get rid of D and Q after ejecting the dvd

Well, there's some wierdness, but the deal is that the system rescans for new drives when you access the 'root' directory.

Expect some odd behavior. I might fine tune it, but the oddball drives will always show.

I didn't expect the Spanish Iniquisition when I signed you up as a "WIP" tester!!  laugh.gif

Jezz_X

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #358 on: December 15, 2003, 01:00:00 PM »

"Nobody expects the Spanish Iniquisition!!!"

Sorry I'm a Monty python fan

so the ftp displaying S T U V is normal even though i took out my memory card which dosn't show in the ftp anyway when connected

Sorry if I'm bugging you

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Mxm Wip Releases
« Reply #359 on: December 15, 2003, 01:03:00 PM »

QUOTE (Jezz_X @ Dec 15 2003, 05:00 PM)
"Nobody expects the Spanish Iniquisition!!!"

Sorry I'm a Monty python fan

so the ftp displaying S T U V is normal even though i took out my memory card which dosn't show in the ftp anyway when connected

Sorry if I'm bugging you

The card SHOULD show up, but perhaps you have a "drive G:"? The XDK doesn't let me set the path specifically when mounting it, though I might do some digging and see if I can work around that..

It shows up fine for me on my dev box, but that doesn't have a G: partition.

The XDK sets memory cards up starting at G:, H:, I:, and so forth....
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26