OG Xbox Forums > MXM WIP Beta forum

Tetris

<< < (2/10) > >>

BenJeremy:
I'm dying to try it out....

If I can just get the wife to stop nagging me about cleaning up the house (and my computer room)

koldfuzion:
QUOTE (geniusalz @ Dec 30 2003, 09:21 PM) I think its pretty neat that MXM lets u write a game with gameplay identical to a commercial game for xbox.

That, and I like doing stuff no one's done before.  This is the first time a homebrew game has been written for a dashboard

EDIT: Have you tried it out?  Any thoughts?
i agree 100%.. just giving you a little elbow cause you have too much time on your hands.... and I dont seem to have any.

No, like BJ, im dying to try it.. I havent even loaded the latest WIP yet.   But I will, thats for sure.  It sucks to play catch-up after being gone for only 1 week.

geniusalz:
Randomness works
New features:
-Pressing 'B' drops the current piece straight down.
-Keeps track of score and lines, and displays them.

Major problem:
-Game flickers badly in skins using a low amount of resources (eg halowresource ).  Works perfect in high-resource skins (eg bluespek haxored or however you spell it)
I guess the problem is that the framerate is high for skins that don't use too much resources, so the screen refreshes while the board is being drawn.  Therefore sometimes the main layout of the skin flashes briefly, and the game board keeps flickering on/off.

There should be a way to lock screen updates while the screen is being drawn on.
e.g.
CODE BeginDraw LockRefresh
blah
blah
blah
EndDraw
'BeginDraw LockRefresh' should keep the current frame on the screen, until the EndDraw statement is reached, thus eliminating the flickering.

On another note, I've noticed that skins show up more 'completely' while switching (when it tells you to reboot).  Is this an indication of runtime skin switching coming soon?

BenJeremy:
On the LockRefresh, I'll look into something like that... as for the skin switching... dunno for sure. The major things I need to update for what I plan on doing have not been implemented yet.

Work progresses on Virtual Keyboard, BTW.... the keyboard works 'seamlessly' in the input system (you can activate it and 'hit keys' that produce ASCII messages in the input system queue), but I still need to give it text editing legs.

An update might be in place tonight.  

BenJeremy:
Any chance we can see an update?

Looks cool, except I only get straight pieces (don't see $rand$ anywhere in the code) and the pieces are rather dark.

On a side note, I'm going to shortly implement dual Draw stacks, and alternate between them... this should eliminate the flicker issue.

Perhaps you can also add a few more features when time allows since we can record high scores and such with names.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version