xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mxm Should Be Open Source  (Read 1383 times)

banned

• Archived User
Mxm Should Be Open Source
« on: March 03, 2005, 03:14:00 PM »

Listen, BJ has been silent on MXM for over 6 months.  Either this project should be handed over to someone else who has more time to work on it, or it should be given to the Open Source Community.

This isn't a rag on BJ.  I have been there too: when life gets in the way of projects you are working on.  But let's face it, it's time to either step up or step down.  Too many people love MXM and look forward to new releases with new features and bug fixes...gotta keep up with the other dashs out there.

Just my two cents. <

slidellsimba2

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 12:07:00 AM »

i have been silently watchin the xbox scene waitin for an update and i must say i was thinking this when he didnt have an update by xmas... i know a date was never given, but come on it has been long enough and with very little support so please hear our crys..... let the community that loves mxm help it become the prestigeous dash it used to be..... <

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 09:07:00 AM »

It IS open source! <

banned

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 09:37:00 AM »

Well that's some good news.  Where are the great amateur devs out there?  What's the link to the Source Forge site (rhetorical--don't recommend a search--it should be posted with impunity).

It's been too long since we have seen an MXM update....

that's all. <

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 10:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(banned @ Mar 4 2005, 03:32 PM)
Well that's some good news.  Where are the great amateur devs out there?  What's the link to the Source Forge site (rhetorical--don't recommend a search--it should be posted with impunity).

It's been too long since we have seen an MXM update....

that's all.

It's not on sourceforge, it's released with the binary... So just look in your rar you got for MXM. There's a folder called src or something. <

banned

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 01:20:00 PM »

Hmm, would it not be more beneficial to the community to have it on SourceForge so the community can work on it in tandum--as opposed to individuals working individually on it.  

I am just trying to search for a solution.  I am not a developer, otherwise I would take up the task myself...

I just think there has to be a better way.  BenJeremy is just not available to continue this project.  It would be a shame to let this project shrivel on the vine due to neglect.  Avalaunch and the such as quickly catching up on MXM, and if you ask some people, they'll say that these other dashs have surpassed MXM.  

Frankly, MXM (IMHO) is the finest dashboard I have installed and used.  How do we keep it current? <

Extreme Agony

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 01:26:00 PM »

unsure.gif

the source that is released with the binary isn't the latest wip source... so as such, a lot of things are missing from it.   It would be silly of someone to try to write from that since it is already outdated.  If someone asked Ben nicely he might be willing to release the source of the latest wip to them.. if he felt that something positive was actually going to be done with it...  Of course AFAIK (and from the rumor mill) Ben himself has been continuing work on the latest source... Not having tried the most recent wip I can't really say too much about it... but I think I'd like to try it sometime... assuming it's not too buggy... MXM served well.. but there were some things that I didn't like about it and was hoping to see changed... in the mean time... I'm using XBMC as my dash... looking forward to a new version of MXM.... but if it never sees the light of day.. I still thank Ben Jeremy for a great time I had using it anyway...
 beerchug.gif

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »

I have the WIP source and so do the other testers, but I'm afraid I don't want to post them as I'd then be going against BJ's trust... <

loki

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2005, 03:59:00 PM »

well ask him if u can give them out then
 <

flattspott

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 11:29:00 AM »

well it's not like BJ wan't to do this alone. So far noone has stepped up and offered to help. I'm sure he'd love having some assistence. Sent him a pm or somethingn if you're serious. <

Rodstorm

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 01:33:00 AM »

Alright people lets be realistic here...its been over 18 monthes since an update although we've all read time and time again "it will be worth the wait"......Xbox 2 is worth the wait but to wait this long for an update of a very dated dash you have to be joking.
BJ would like some help, geez its taken him 18 monthes to realise this??????
MXM is dead...face it people.
Gone are the days where it was THE dash, gone are the days when #mxm had hundreds of people on it talking and swapping info...its this way because it was let get this way by the so called "elders" of mxm who we dare not upset for fear of reprisal and flaming.
Its obvious BJ doesnt have the time to complete what he started otherwise it would be done by now, its just extremely sad to see mxm die the death it has whilst everything else has evolved around it.
And for the chosen few who have these so called wips....good on you, thats not much help to those of us who have been waiting for any kind on new info with mxm and have nothing new.
I think most people have been loyal and patient waiting for an update only to see nothing happen...regardless of what you guys say is happening, is going to happen and what whizz bang files you and only you have for mxm its of total no use to us the normal guys out there waiting for an update.
Move on people move on..... <

Beelzebud

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 12:37:00 PM »

I'd just be happy with a release that added the quick startup, and skin changing-on-the-fly, features.

<

banned

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 04:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(Rodstorm @ Mar 8 2005, 07:28 AM)
Alright people lets be realistic here...its been over 18 monthes since an update although we've all read time and time again "it will be worth the wait"......Xbox 2 is worth the wait but to wait this long for an update of a very dated dash you have to be joking.
BJ would like some help, geez its taken him 18 monthes to realise this??????
MXM is dead...face it people.
Its obvious BJ doesnt have the time to complete what he started otherwise it would be done by now, its just extremely sad to see mxm die the death it has whilst everything else has evolved around it.
I think most people have been loyal and patient waiting for an update only to see nothing happen...regardless of what you guys say is happening, is going to happen and what whizz bang files you and only you have for mxm its of total no use to us the normal guys out there waiting for an update.
Move on people move on.....

While my original intention in creating this topic was to get this project up and running again, I am afraid that Rodstorm has hit the nail right on the head (no pun intended-get it? Nail?  Dead?  Coffin. Oh forget it.).  I think he is expressing what so many of us have felt for a long, long time.  And sadly many have moved on to dashes that are still currently-developed projects.

So I expect that I will be trying out some new dashes...thinking about it, it's ironic how loyal I was to MXM...I stopped tracking the other dashes entirely, so I kind of need to start the evaluation process all over again.

This post has been edited by banned: Mar 9 2005, 12:45 AM <

CaTcHa

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2005, 08:32:00 PM »

With a new box out this year move on from this outdated dash and try one of the others .
If MXM ever resurfaces on the new xbox the service from the "Elders"  (ROFLMAO) will kill that too banning anyone that dares to add an opinion or offer outside help .... 5 mods no posts , its a good place to be , they are oh so quiet now , just a little embarrassed I suspect that thier dreams of being/supplying the only dash came to nothing  biggrin.gif  

Leave the desert and go live with a new dash before this box is history.
Its time to clear some forum  space me thinks.  
CaTcHa rolls on the floor laughing so very  hard at all the deserted sheep

kingroach

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 11:09:00 PM »

MXM was THE KING.. i was so amazed at those video skins for mxm.. i installed it.. and just looked at that thing.. it was beautiful.. but all teh devs. has so much errogence.. if BJ can release the WIP to few peole why not even show us a screenshot.. or all thw wip having people are just blowing some smoke screen.. whatever it is its not good..

now move on to unleashx.. support video skins.. even you can dress it up just liek mxm.. if you are that deperate for mxm.. <
Pages: [1] 2 3