xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Brand New Xbox Memory Chips  (Read 422 times)

xbox_shima

• Archived User
Brand New Xbox Memory Chips
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2003, 09:07:00 PM »

could i take the 64 meg of ram (4 chips) off a old xbox i have ?

A-T-S

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2003, 09:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (xbox_shima @ Nov 2 2003, 07:07 AM)

I don't know, could you?

WhatsAModchip?

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2003, 08:07:00 AM »

QUOTE (xbox_shima @ Nov 2 2003, 07:07 AM)

ya you need a heatgun or some crap i also hear chipquick works...

WhatsAModchip?

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: November 02, 2003, 01:01:00 PM »

update us smile.gif

Dissolved

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2003, 02:30:00 AM »

id take a couple sets myself..

Perplexer

• Recovered User
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2003, 03:47:00 AM »

One would think that an Xbox-Scene sponsor would know not to advertise in someone else's thread...

dink

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2003, 08:47:00 AM »

Greetings

As it stands, I will NOT order anymore memory chips.  I am not seeing a huge demand for them.  The large up front cost, processing of the orders, packaging, mailing and paypal fees, I feel its just not worth it.   Sorry.

I orginally order the chips to be used in some my xboxes and then sell the rest.  As you can tell, it was very close to my cost, for I sold out in little over a week.    

If a company like XBOX-WIRED or anyone else, is willing to sell NEW memory chips, the more power to them.  And they are more then welcome to use this thread.

Dink...

WhatsAModchip?

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2003, 01:20:00 PM »

if i find 10 other ppl who would like to purchase a set would you be interested?

dink

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2003, 03:15:00 PM »

if i find 10 other ppl who would like to purchase a set would you be interested?

No thanks.

Since Xbox-Wired will soon offered memory chips from their web site, I see no need for me to continue selling them.  You may want to ask if they can give you a discount on 10 sets, though.

Dink...

dink

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2003, 03:32:00 PM »

For those of you, that did buy the memory chips from me.

How did the install go?

Did you install the chips just like the video shows or did you use another method?

Can you share any tips?

Hopefully you don't have a broken xbox.

Dink...

FlouFF

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2003, 02:46:00 AM »

QUOTE (dink @ Nov 4 2003, 01:32 AM)
For those of you, that did buy the memory chips from me.

How did the install go?

I got problems..

I'm on a V1.1, manufactured 4th Novemeber 2002, Running Cromwell
It boots, but only detects 64Mo. I believe the startup is slower than before.

My pads were not covered by mounts of tins, like yours. Half of them (verticals)  had a perfect amount of tin, while others (horizontals) didn't have enough. As a friend has lost my desoldering wick in his home, I got to wait before trying adding tin on these pads, I will try the Warmcat's 'iron balls' method in a day or two.

In another hand the soldering iron I used is anything but precise, it's 26W, with a pane that is at least twice too big for this work. But I felt it all right. All I am afraid is to have burned one of these chips : are they well resistant to heat?

dink

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2003, 09:35:00 AM »

I'm on a V1.1, manufactured 4th Novemeber 2002, Running Cromwell
It boots, but only detects 64Mo. I believe the startup is slower than before.
Try running a different bios.  X2 4977. Your version of Cromwell may not be enabling/detecting the additional 64 meg.  If you are getting the normal power up, GREEN light, etc.... Chances are, your soldering is fine, since you are able to get it to boot.
friend has lost my desoldering wick in his home
You can pick up some solder wick from Radio Shack, for about $3.
are they well resistant to heat?
They can be.  Just be sure, not to apply the iron for long period of time on the pins.  Put your finger on the plastic, and use it as an indication for the temperture level of the chip.  Only solder when you can keep your finger there.   Solder one row at a time, then pause to let the chip cool.

WhatsAModchip?

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2003, 03:00:00 AM »

QUOTE (FlouFF @ Nov 12 2003, 11:58 AM)
I have been told Cromwell detects RAM since version 2.23, I tried with Cromwell 2.26 and 2.27. I don't want to use another BIOS  as I need VGA output, got no TV here.

At my first try I sometime heard "ticks" when releasing the iron from pads, I thought this sound was emitted by the leads desoldering from the pads when getting cold, due to a lack of tin. I believe it didn't work due to this.

I now have found my desoldering braid, and had try to add more tin, using warmcat's method.. That's fine, my Xbox don't boot anymore smile.gif) I've lost my new computer??
The symptom is like when there's no BIOS: 3 startups, and then red blinking .. Is it normal to get this in case of a jump beetween RAM leads?

yeah i believe so, you gotta find your shorts, i dont think that method is very good, because of the fact that you dont need anymore tin.  i think before you might have missed a pin or two, that may have been the problem.  good luck man!

FlouFF

• Archived User
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2003, 01:48:00 PM »

Huho..!

In fact I killed something else in my box..

Something like a voltage regulator I believe, the one that is placed under the motherboard, in the corner of the port n°1 (opposed to the CPU). I tested with a functionnal Xbox, mine shows two more volts at this place. I am sure having burned this component because I remember having played sculpting tin mounts on the square ground pads, and of course also on the pad on which is soldered this tripod. I cannot identify this piece of semiconductor.

It's written: 238   B10   35CL
with "ON" inside a circle

Never let me your Xbox.

Before arriving to this conclusion I tested all my 400 RAM pads, they look OK, but my RAM is not powered. I tested VDD on these chips, it's 0 everywhere. On the LPC port I've got the +3.3V and +5V, and the CPU seems to warm, so I am not totaly pessimistyc. Just need to indentify this chip and hope these two more volts didn't kill something else :/

dink

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2003, 08:32:00 AM »

Update

I have been told, a local mod chip reseller, will have memory chips for sale via their web site, soon.

I do not know what the cost will be.  So don't ask.

They maybe offering an install service as well.

Dink...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]