xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: How Long To Load?  (Read 679 times)

discworld

• Archived User
How Long To Load?
« on: January 31, 2004, 12:42:00 PM »

Hey,
I'm sick to death of unleashx, which has, in my opinion fallen down the route of the "mxm-wannabe", losing any sense of direction it once had.

Now, my tHc dash is absoloutly amazing, but due to a bug freezes after 30mins idle.
So, I'm looking for a new default dash (though I'll still almost definetly use tHc as an app) and I was wondering how long does mxm take to load?

I've heard people moan that it takes far too long, but others say it takes no time.
Any approxomite times?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
How Long To Load?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 12:45:00 PM »

QUOTE (discworld @ Jan 31 2004, 02:42 PM)
Hey,
I'm sick to death of unleashx, which has, in my opinion fallen down the route of the "mxm-wannabe", losing any sense of direction it once had.

Now, my tHc dash is absoloutly amazing, but due to a bug freezes after 30mins idle.
So, I'm looking for a new default dash (though I'll still almost definetly use tHc as an app) and I was wondering how long does mxm take to load?

I've heard people moan that it takes far too long, but others say it takes no time.
Any approxomite times?

The current version might take a while to load the first time, when it builds the menu cache, but then loads quickly after that (as quick as any others, in fact - as timed by yourwishismine).

The NEXT version to be released (that I am currently working on) I will be tackling the XBE scanning to speed things up considerably.

jlm5151

• Archived User
How Long To Load?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 02:50:00 PM »

The loading time is really overhyped by non users. I have been using MXM for quite sometime now and there really isnt a noticeable difference between dashes. I feel that MXM's intialization screens may be a bit deceiving in making it seems longer.

discworld

• Archived User
How Long To Load?
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 06:21:00 AM »

excellent! :)

off to download I go. Thanks a lot for your help, hopefully one day I'll be an experianced mxm user helping people on this forum :)

Once again; thanks a lot :)

flattspott

• Archived User
How Long To Load?
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 11:14:00 AM »

Well on my Xbox (with 41 games, all apps, emus, and dashboards) when I reset the menu_cache it usually takes around 30sec to rebuild the menu_cache. And most of my folders have the MXM_Thumb and MXM_SS's in them and some have a MXM_Entry too.

So in my opinion, I would say MXM is pretty fast to load the first time considering all the work it's doing.

geniusalz

• Archived User
How Long To Load?
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 07:56:00 PM »

If recurse is false it almost always takes less than 10 seconds to rebuild cache, even on big drives.

romeoso

• Archived User
How Long To Load?
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 08:52:00 AM »

i think some people just aren't used to seeing an initialization screen on an app.  when switching from evo-x to mxm, i was kinda bugged about the initialization screen myself.  but i've gotten used to it.  takes less then 5 seconds anyway!

DBZRacer

• Archived User
How Long To Load?
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 09:29:00 AM »

160gb HD filled to the brim with games and apps with about 85% of the games using prev vids and thumbs, it takes my box less than 40 secs to rebuild the menu cache. And as everyone else here has pointed out, once your menu cache is set and you are off to using MXM on a daily basis, it loads just as fast as UX.

discworld

• Archived User
How Long To Load?
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 11:09:00 AM »

I've been nothing but impressed!

I actually thought the initiation screen was pretty damn cool :) , and you're right its really very quick, especially considering the volume of content it has.

Now for my noob questions, as at the moment I'm still using MXM as an app:

1) Is there any way to add "action scripting" to my main menu (through menu.xml)
EG: I'd like an option to open my system menu straight from the main menu. How would I write this into the xml?

2) Is there a way to change your static FTP address etc. from MXM (I had a look around but couldn't find the option)...

3) Will there be a FILE MANAGER (like UnleashX) in a future version?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
How Long To Load?
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 11:40:00 AM »

QUOTE (discworld @ Feb 2 2004, 02:09 PM)
I've been nothing but impressed!

I actually thought the initiation screen was pretty damn cool :) , and you're right its really very quick, especially considering the volume of content it has.

Now for my noob questions, as at the moment I'm still using MXM as an app:

1) Is there any way to add "action scripting" to my main menu (through menu.xml)
EG: I'd like an option to open my system menu straight from the main menu. How would I write this into the xml?

2) Is there a way to change your static FTP address etc. from MXM (I had a look around but couldn't find the option)...

3) Will there be a FILE MANAGER (like UnleashX) in a future version?

1. Yes.

<Action>
SystemMenu ActivateFull
</Action>

2. Yes. There are several, I believe, ActionScripts to help configure MXM.xml settings that work with 0.9n.6. They are not included, and you'll have to add them yourself.

3. Yes (Next version, not done yet).

As stated in other threads, the new System UI will impress, espcially since it will be tied into ActionScripting and possibly skinning (the thought occurred that I might allow skinners the ability to configure variables they can use in their skins, such as base colors for different color schemes)

discworld

• Archived User
How Long To Load?
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 12:39:00 PM »

cool!

<Action>
SystemMenu ActivateFull
</Action>

What does "systemmenu activefull" mean?

BenJeremy

• Archived User
How Long To Load?
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 01:11:00 PM »

QUOTE (discworld @ Feb 2 2004, 03:39 PM)
cool!

<Action>
SystemMenu ActivateFull
</Action>

What does "systemmenu activefull" mean?

Compared to Activate, which only may only activate a partial system menu if you are running in DVD-R mode.

Once I get menus completely migrated to XML, ActionScripts will be able to modify them, add, remove, etc... and you'll also be able to trigger any item using an ActionScript command (potentially removing the system menu altogether and password protecting elements of it)