xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Important News  (Read 1782 times)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2003, 02:41:00 AM »

QUOTE (splict @ Jul 9 2003, 12:58 AM)
I think that although MXM does a bunch of other great things, what draws a lot of people is the great skinning options. So, personally the feature I'm looking forward to the most is 3d skinning. I've already had many ideas I'd like to try out with this.

Yes, I'm looking forward to implimenting this myself.... it's one reason I want to finalize the features... so when MXM is "Feature Complete" on the non-skinning side, I can play around with some real cool things.

I also plan on tying things in with BASIC, which should allow some interactivity.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2003, 09:06:00 AM »

QUOTE (Izrun @ Jul 9 2003, 01:02 PM)
So no HDTV support, or at least regular widescreen support?  Ah well, maybe somone can add it after 1.0...

-Izrun

Oh.... I'll try and squeeze that in.

There are skinning enhancements I didn't mention that will make their way in before 1.0 - I just want to get the 'functional' end defined so I can work towards wrapping that up and then work on fixing and optimizing.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2003, 04:10:00 PM »

QUOTE (splict @ Jul 9 2003, 07:53 PM)
QUOTE (BenJeremy @ Jul 9 2003, 10:41 AM)
Yes, I'm looking forward to implimenting this myself.... it's one reason I want to finalize the features... so when MXM is "Feature Complete" on the non-skinning side, I can play around with some real cool things.

I also plan on tying things in with BASIC, which should allow some interactivity.

Yeah it will definately be nice to get the features done and be able to move on to more flashy things - .9n sounds like its got most all of the features I've been looking forward to.  smile.gif
I was wondering if any of these ideas of yours (if implemented) would allow things like displaying a different number of 2d/3d elements depending on things such as the number of submenus defined in the menu cache? Is this type of dynamic skin part of your ideas or am I just wishing for the stars?
-splict

People will probably surprise me by doing this and much more.

I'm going to enable all I can through "MXMBASIC"

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2003, 02:19:00 PM »

Well, perhaps I'll look into something like that if I get an MP3 decoder in there (and once the internet code gets a bit more solidified)

whoknew

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2003, 12:09:00 PM »

Ben, let me just take a second to tell you that you are an amazing developer... you actually listen to people's suggestions, make your code open-source, AND on top of that all you are always willing to help someone with xbox releated issues... You are a great asset to the scene.

And now that I'm done with that, I put in another vote for screen calibration and the 3d elements. What i think would be interesting though is a concept I call "MXMe" (Media X Messenger tongue.gif) the main feature of which is that all online MXM users at that time can talk in a chat room or you can IM other boxes... the fact that you would be able to get help live in the program you actually need help in would be invaluable... e.x. someone doesnt know how to shutdown their box in MXM, they can access the chat system and find out from someone else who is running the program at the same time. I'm not demanding MXMe, i just thought at the moment it would be an amazing thing which would even further separate it from the other dashes. Don't do it if you don't want to... don't think for a second im demanding it. That would be really rude tongue.gif

P.s.s: It's All About Choice is the most amazing thing i have ever seen... i mean all those video screens... and not only the code of that skin is amazing, it really shows off the power of MXM, with around 20 vids playin at the same time (or is it really only a highly elaborate illusion?)

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2003, 01:29:00 PM »

QUOTE (whoknew @ Jul 11 2003, 04:09 PM)
Ben, let me just take a second to tell you that you are an amazing developer... you actually listen to people's suggestions, make your code open-source, AND on top of that all you are always willing to help someone with xbox releated issues... You are a great asset to the scene.

And now that I'm done with that, I put in another vote for screen calibration and the 3d elements. What i think would be interesting though is a concept I call "MXMe" (Media X Messenger tongue.gif) the main feature of which is that all online MXM users at that time can talk in a chat room or you can IM other boxes... the fact that you would be able to get help live in the program you actually need help in would be invaluable... e.x. someone doesnt know how to shutdown their box in MXM, they can access the chat system and find out from someone else who is running the program at the same time. I'm not demanding MXMe, i just thought at the moment it would be an amazing thing which would even further separate it from the other dashes. Don't do it if you don't want to... don't think for a second im demanding it. That would be really rude tongue.gif

Well, I do think an IM client of sorts would be a handy thing (IMO, not to knock Team Ava, a better idea than IRC)

P.s.s: It's All About Choice is the most amazing thing i have ever seen... i mean all those video screens... and not only the code of that skin is amazing, it really shows off the power of MXM, with around 20 vids playin at the same time (or is it really only a highly elaborate illusion?)

Well, it's closer to an elaborate illusion - there is a single background video, which combined all the videos playing, and then, of course, the thumbnail and preview video of the currently selected game. It's not really cheating as much as it is a logical means of displaying the videos.

The bandwidth to display all those videos would be a bit much... but MXM would certainly be willing to give it a shot.... wink.gif ...don't know if the Xbox itself could handle that much, though.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2003, 06:05:00 PM »

QUOTE (HypeTelecon @ Jul 20 2003, 09:24 PM)
#Disk Partitioning

I would personally like to see this feature in another dash board besides Evox, and that way with it in the source code, everyone would know how it was done. Just my $0.02 I think it would be nice to be able to do a full setup using the dash board you intend on using on your xbox permanently.

P.S.

Yeah Yeah Yeah, I know, "How often do you repartition your xbox?" Well, probably once, unless you are devloping and it crashes. But its just the matter of the fact.

Yeah... I have an idea how to do it, but not surprisingly, the particular IOCtl command I think I need to use is completely, utterly undocumented.

skierdb526

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2003, 06:21:00 PM »

i think an auto update would be spiffy.  everything else sounds great

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2003, 06:02:00 AM »

Hey... just a quick note: I have the ability to display a LOT more than one screen of info under "System Info" - I also plan on adding a "Save Report File" option here with a button press.

What info should I also display?

I was thinking about more detailed info on the BIOS and modchip, more detailed game information, settings, specific config items (Like skin settings, for example), menu stats, that sort of thing.

Give me your ideas on what info screens you think would be nice to have and how to organize them in a manner that makes sense. It's fairly easy for me to do this, particularly with the existing info available (It's an internal layout).

Thanks!

blatchy

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2003, 04:42:00 AM »

Personally, I think the IM function and the browser would be a great addition, seeing (the newsgroup feature is great, btw).  I love the notion that MediaXMenu extends my system beyond the gaming.  Also, since I run my system through a projector, calibration would be another great feature.  I love it, though:  all my friends are still using Evox because they don't know any better and their jaws just drop when I show them mine.  I haven;'t even added preview vids or help files yet either (btw, if anyone has prepackaged help files, I'd really love some).

I'm also making my own skin based on my fave movie of the summer (bet you can't guess what it is lol).  I just need to know if it's possible to rotate the display of my game screenshot (the box within my screen where I want to display is tilted a bit).  Not a constant rotation but just to tilt it to the right a bit.  Would I just use an XML position and rotate command?

Thanks!

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2003, 05:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (blatchy @ Jul 23 2003, 08:42 AM)
Personally, I think the IM function and the browser would be a great addition, seeing (the newsgroup feature is great, btw).  I love the notion that MediaXMenu extends my system beyond the gaming.  Also, since I run my system through a projector, calibration would be another great feature.  I love it, though:  all my friends are still using Evox because they don't know any better and their jaws just drop when I show them mine.  I haven;'t even added preview vids or help files yet either (btw, if anyone has prepackaged help files, I'd really love some).

I'm also making my own skin based on my fave movie of the summer (bet you can't guess what it is lol).  I just need to know if it's possible to rotate the display of my game screenshot (the box within my screen where I want to display is tilted a bit).  Not a constant rotation but just to tilt it to the right a bit.  Would I just use an XML position and rotate command?

Thanks!

Heh heh.... no "rotate" yet... but I am looking at adding 3-D capability, in which case doing that would be trivial.

swampy

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2003, 06:04:00 AM »

How about a last used time, total launch times, total time used, and maybe even averages per month for games/apps, update and store each when launched.  Would be handy for figuring out what to get rid of, and would be cool over time to look at what is played the most.

boxorox

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2003, 06:12:00 AM »

QUOTE (swampy @ Jul 23 2003, 03:04 PM)
How about a last used time, total launch times, total time used, and maybe even averages per month for games/apps, update and store each when launched.  Would be handy for figuring out what to get rid of, and would be cool over time to look at what is played the most.

Total time used, as in hours of game play would be kuuul.  I wouldn't be able to exagerate any more.

MissSplitch

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2003, 11:10:00 PM »

I just got into this thing today, so I don't know if this is yet implemented, but being interested in leaving EvoX on there as a "just in case," I think it would be good if MXM took everything but itself and its main configuration file from C:MXM, ie C:MXMSkinsWhateverSkinzorzEtc, instead of the root, as being an anal-retent such as myself, I don't like C: sitting around with a million little directories in it.

And just so you don't think I want to relegate MXM to a subdir and leave the rest to EvoX, I wish EvoX kept its crap in an "EvoX" subdirectory too.

-Splitch

BenJeremy

• Archived User
Important News
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2003, 03:18:00 AM »

QUOTE (MissSplitch @ Jul 25 2003, 03:10 AM)
I just got into this thing today, so I don't know if this is yet implemented, but being interested in leaving EvoX on there as a "just in case," I think it would be good if MXM took everything but itself and its main configuration file from C:MXM, ie C:MXMSkinsWhateverSkinzorzEtc, instead of the root, as being an anal-retent such as myself, I don't like C: sitting around with a million little directories in it.

And just so you don't think I want to relegate MXM to a subdir and leave the rest to EvoX, I wish EvoX kept its crap in an "EvoX" subdirectory too.

-Splitch

<SkinsPath> defines the path where all of the skins directories can be found. I use:

<SkinsPath>F:\MXMSkins</SkinsPath>

I may change the location of the cache_menu.xml file. Currently, only the cache_menu.xml, mxm.xml and mxm itself needs to be in that directory.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5