xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How Ripping Streaming Media Straight To Wmv  (Read 1158 times)

Cofi

• Archived User
How Ripping Streaming Media Straight To Wmv
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2003, 10:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (DVantrease @ Jul 7 2003, 08:02 PM)
OK I got Windows Media 8 Encoder, and I need help on the parameters. How to I make the video size, say, 260x194? Doing this, plus removing the audio, should shrink the filesize alot. Cofi, where can I find the MXM 512 profile you mentioned?

Well I created that profile myself. Just setted fps and resolution to 320*240 and bitrate to 512 kbps. And then chose WMV8 as video-codec. and WMA9 as audio-codec.

Are you sure that you have the graphical user interface?

DVantrease

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2003, 08:07:00 PM »

BenJeremy, what would you say is the 'optimum' video resolution to re-encode at, or does it vary from skin to skin? I only mentioned 260x194 because awhile back when I was playing with MenuX, that was a suggested resolution for PNG files (in my .nfo docs), and it seemed to look good. Is there a suggested kbps?

Regarding audio, I saw in another thread that you don't recommend having NO audio. I was torn between including the audio, or just playing music. I saw several demo videos on ftp's that had no sound, so maybe it's actually a 'silent' audio track? If so, I'll need to learn how to do that.

BenJeremy

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2003, 08:14:00 PM »

QUOTE (DVantrease @ Jul 8 2003, 12:07 AM)
BenJeremy, what would you say is the 'optimum' video resolution to re-encode at, or does it vary from skin to skin? I only mentioned 260x194 because awhile back when I was playing with MenuX, that was a suggested resolution for PNG files (in my .nfo docs), and it seemed to look good.

Regarding audio, I saw in another thread that you don't recommend having NO audio. I was torn between including the audio, or just playing music. I saw several demo videos on ftp's that had no sound, so maybe it's actually a 'silent' audio track? If so, I'll need to learn how to do that.

Here's the deal... if you look at new M$ demo discs, they encode video and images at 1024x512... always in multiples of 256, since this seems to be special to the GPU and video memory organization ("Swizzled Graphics").

When I allocate a texture to display a 260x194 image, it ACTUALLY allocates a 512x256 chunk of memory. Reducing it by 4 lines changes that to 256x256, obviously, half as much video memory.

This is the ideal way of doing things because it increases available video memory, which is roughly managed by the system (and results in stuttering when it's overwhelmed).

As for audio, the next version will rectify this... I figured out how to fix it in the video player management code. In the 0.9n release, audio is not required.

RadiatedAnt

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2003, 04:50:00 PM »

wink.gif

RadiatedAnt

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2003, 09:15:00 AM »

Thats a nice little tool also but then theres variety Im testing asfrecorder, Hinet recorder, and make asx to see wich one will give me the best quality

SniperKilla

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2003, 03:16:00 PM »

smile.gif

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2003, 01:19:00 PM »

laugh.gif Instead of doing that favourite stuff just right click in the video window and select properties then copy the link!  biggrin.gif

Dalma

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2003, 01:38:00 PM »

QUOTE (Cofi @ Jul 7 2003, 07:38 AM)
I use Windows Media Encoder, it's like an GUI for the dos-tools that you can find on some ftps. Pretty easy to set up framerate, bitrate, size and create profiles so you just have to choose the profile MXM 512 kbps... Piece of cake

Hey Cofi, can you help me out.

I am trying to encode the trailers from xbox.com to wm8 but somehow these gui programs don't work. I tried several of them already.

mark_in_2k

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2003, 05:23:00 AM »

Cofi, is there any way, using Windows Media Encoder, to remove the audio? Can't seem to select or create a profile that will allow you to do this.

Cheers

myffonline

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2003, 03:05:00 PM »

After I'm finished getting a wmv9 video with SDP I use a program called Stoik Video Converter to first re-encode the wmv9 to just normal avi, then I use Windows Media Encoder to convert from this avi to wmv8. There may be an easier way, but this way is fairly simple and works for me.

Stoik Video Converter
Pages: 1 [2]