xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Cant Turn Off Ftp Server  (Read 785 times)

invictus2

• Archived User
Cant Turn Off Ftp Server
« on: December 11, 2004, 11:23:00 AM »

I want to disable the ftp server on my xbox, but when I disable it from the avalaunch menus, I can still connect from my PC. Is the ftp enable/disable option in avalaunch settings broken, or is it just my xbox that is difficult?

Also; is there any way to disable the possibility for another xbox to connect directly to my xbox and leech files?

Trevante

• Archived User
Cant Turn Off Ftp Server
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 11:45:00 AM »

I want to disable the ftp server on my xbox, but when I disable it from the avalaunch menus, I can still connect from my PC. Is the ftp enable/disable option in avalaunch settings broken, or is it just my xbox that is difficult?

Try editing the avalaunch.xml.

Change

CODE
ftpserver enabled="1"

to

CODE
ftpserver enabled="0"

Also; is there any way to disable the possibility for another xbox to connect directly to my xbox and leech files?

That's why you're disabling the FTP server. Once that's off, there's no other way for any other device to connect to your Xbox, unless maybe you run another dashboard or app that enables an ftp server.

This post has been edited by Trevante: Dec 11 2004, 07:45 PM

invictus2

• Archived User
Cant Turn Off Ftp Server
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 11:52:00 AM »

<ftpserver enabled="0" allowboostmode="1" showrootfreespace="0">
  <port>
  </port>
  <pasvportstart>
  </pasvportstart>
  <pasvportend>
  </pasvportend>
  <maxusers>
  </maxusers>
   </ftpserver>

This is how my avalaunch.xml file looks like, but still the ftp server is enables with the user/pass combination that is set later in the file.

Also, my other question is because my friend can connect to my xbox from his xbox without typing in the password.

Trevante

• Archived User
Cant Turn Off Ftp Server
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »

hmmmm... try changing

network setup="1"

to

network setup="0"

And are you rebooting after saving these changes?

invictus2

• Archived User
Cant Turn Off Ftp Server
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »

Yes I am rebooting after I have changed the settings.

I have changed network setup to "0" now, but the ftp server is still up & running.

This post has been edited by invictus2: Dec 11 2004, 10:06 PM

bernienoel

• Archived User
Cant Turn Off Ftp Server
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2004, 02:13:00 PM »

QUOTE (invictus2 @ Dec 11 2004, 09:33 PM)
I have changed network setup to "0" now, but the ftp server is still up & running.

i can't belive you're editing the right file

invictus2

• Archived User
Cant Turn Off Ftp Server
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2004, 03:27:00 PM »

When I change other settings like the ftps password and disable the newsfeed it works so I suppose its the correct file I am editing. Its the C:\avalaunch.xml

For your information: I have Xbox 1.6 crystal, and using the latest avalaunch. However; I had the same problems with the previous release of avalaunch as well. This may or may not matter, but the ftp server in XBMC can be turned on and off without this kind of trouble. (A friend of mine has the same xbox with the same software and he has the same problem).

This post has been edited by invictus2: Dec 11 2004, 11:37 PM

invictus2

• Archived User
Cant Turn Off Ftp Server
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 05:51:00 PM »

I couldnt edit my last reply so I just create another one:

May this be a bug in avalaunch/bios/somethingelse so that I should report it somewhere? As this happens to both me and my friend it could happen to someone else as well.

Trevante

• Archived User
Cant Turn Off Ftp Server
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »

Hmmm...

well I was able to turn off network access in avalaunch.

Edit your avalaunch.xml so that it doesn't set up the network or start the ftp server (those two settings I told you to change in my previous posts), then go settings>network>IP settings> and make sure network is changed to disabled

After doing this, I no longer had network access and couldn't connect through ftp, so I think this should work.

time_trial

• Archived User
Cant Turn Off Ftp Server
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2004, 03:01:00 AM »

Do you have a mod chip with an ftp server? Maybe that's giving you ftp access.

Trevante

• Archived User
Cant Turn Off Ftp Server
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2004, 10:55:00 AM »

I doubt that could be it. I believe the modchip's ftp server is only running when you're in the modchip's built in OS.

invictus2

• Archived User
Cant Turn Off Ftp Server
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2004, 12:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (Trevante @ Dec 12 2004, 02:24 AM)
Hmmm...

well I was able to turn off network access in avalaunch.

Edit your avalaunch.xml so that it doesn't set up the network or start the ftp server (those two settings I told you to change in my previous posts), then go settings>network>IP settings> and make sure network is changed to disabled

After doing this, I no longer had network access and couldn't connect through ftp, so I think this should work.

It wasnt disabled when I did network setup="0", however when I just disabled the network from the menus, it worked. when I re-enabled the network, the ftp was still the same.