xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Should Microsoft Release A Blu-ray Addon For Xbox360 In 2008?  (Read 1988 times)

MrBucket101

• Archived User
Should Microsoft Release A Blu-ray Addon For Xbox360 In 2008?
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2008, 12:27:00 AM »

blu-ray won...M$ should just keep the consumer happy and make one

PS. i was the 1337 vote 'yes'...YAY ME!

jrl

• Archived User
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »

I voted: YES
If microsoft wants to keep XBOX marketshare and current customers from buying the PS3 then they should do it.  Some people on here and myself included have bought a PS3 just for the Blu-Ray capability.  Now we own both consoles, which is not good for MS.

Microsoft and Sony made it difficult to choose. Forcing me and others to spend more money on two formats if we wanted to see all our favorite movies in hi-def. (Well nobody twisted my arm but some of you know what i'm talking about.) When the next format war starts, I think I will sit back and wait for a clear winner before buying into anything.

pmrush

• Archived User
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »

if microsoft had put an hd-dvd in the 360 there would of been 10 million hd-dvd drives out there, i think ms shot them selves in the foot with that one.

P.

Party Animal

• Archived User
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2008, 05:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(pmrush @ Feb 17 2008, 04:19 PM) View Post

if microsoft had put an hd-dvd in the 360 there would of been 10 million hd-dvd drives out there, i think ms shot them selves in the foot with that one.

P.

I totally agree.

I know this sounds crazy, but just imagine if M$ had included the HD-DVD drive internally at the same price as the console is going for? Sure, they would have lost tons of money per unit, but given the current popularity of the 360 over the PS3, they could have easily won the war by simply having their players dominate the majority of households.

Roupus

• Archived User
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »

I dont see why they should bother with a blu-ray addon.  Either they should release an xbox with the blu-ray built in or just wait till they release next xbox and have it built in.  As of now they should really focus on the hd downloads its a great service although I would like to keep my rentals longer than 24 hours I would like a few days with them.

Narg

• Archived User
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »

Blu-Ray is a terrible format, and Sony has lied repeatedly about it.  I'd rather download HD content to the Xbox360 than ever buy Blu-Ray.

Why?  Blu-Ray discs are physically inferior, which the media rights holders (movie studios) LOVE!  This means your movies are much more likely to be damaged and require re-purchase.  Blu-Ray didn't win in the market place, it won in the business model for the studios and the consumers are screwd.  And NO, they don't use the "protective coating" that Sony lied about.  It's too expensive!

Obveron

• Archived User
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2008, 07:50:00 AM »

Give us a cheap add-on bluray player that works on PC, and I'll buy it.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »

It would be a waste, having a standalone player or PS3 is better.  The xbox 360 doesnt have hdmi 1.3 and cant do 24FPS.  I noticed when i bought my standalone HDDVD player, it looked better on my TV that has 120hz.  The standalone has hdmi 1.3 and 24FPS.

Bluray addon is a bad idea.

RGSPro

• Archived User
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2008, 02:48:00 PM »

Ive already got a PS3 so I don't need a blu-ray player, but I would rather watch movies on my 360.  Do you think microsoft can just make a USB cable to go to the PS3 so that can me my Xbox 360 Blu-Ray Drive? lol.

nightmare349

• Archived User
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »

You know whats funny I've read a few pages and haven't noticed anyone stating the fact that Sony owns Blu-ray and in order for M$ to use it they would have to pay loads (and I'm using that term lightly) of money to use Blu-ray and m not sure on Sony's stand for allowing the use of Blu-ray for their competition now if memory serves me correctly i do believe  i read that M$'s sales rep stated he would not have any problems incorporating Blu-ray in their next console however that is only if Sony allows it. lol
Im not a big xbox fan but i wouldn't mind seeing Blu-ray on their new system.

nabatson

• Archived User
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2008, 10:34:00 PM »

uhmmm blu ray is an open standard.  Legally there's nothing sony can do to prevent ms from using blu ray or charge them more for the use of it.  They can however us politics and add delays in support and put pressure on their hardware manufacturers to keep them from getting it as fast as another company could.

quall

• Archived User
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(Party Animal @ Feb 17 2008, 08:10 PM) View Post

I totally agree.

I know this sounds crazy, but just imagine if M$ had included the HD-DVD drive internally at the same price as the console is going for? Sure, they would have lost tons of money per unit, but given the current popularity of the 360 over the PS3, they could have easily won the war by simply having their players dominate the majority of households.

I would not have bought a 360 if that were the case. I would have chose a PS3, which would have the same price tag. I would have bought a PS3.

bradmeyers

• Archived User
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2008, 08:25:00 AM »

QUOTE(nightmare349 @ Feb 23 2008, 06:39 AM) View Post

uhmmm blu ray is an open standard. Legally there's nothing sony can do to prevent ms from using blu ray or charge them more for the use of it. They can however us politics and add delays in support and put pressure on their hardware manufacturers to keep them from getting it as fast as another company could.

someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought HDDVD was open and Blu-Ray wasn't?  If Blu-Ray was open why wouldn't MS go ahead and make an addon then?

ShadyFist

• Archived User
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »

Microsoft is releasing a Blu-Ray addon for the Xbox 360 in may 2008. My source is G4 TV.

snipinghands

• Archived User
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »

Xbox was gambling with PS : who will win the DVD war. PS won and I think that if Xbox will not add a Blu-Ray they are ...stupid. All the companies have an orientation for the Blu-Ray!!  pop.gif
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7