xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Which Next-gen Disc Will Win?  (Read 2081 times)

brispet1

• Archived User
Which Next-gen Disc Will Win?
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2006, 03:35:00 PM »

blu-ray will dominate because sony owns enough titles to push it along.  Look at how many movies sony put out on umd.  The fact is through bmg and sony's hollywood contacts its looking like the next home entertainment format will be blu-ray... whether or not being a dominant computer storage medium will be enough to keep hd-dvd afloat remains to see but that seems like it's likely future.  and about the whole MS thing remember MS has no huge vested interest in hd-dvd besides the fact that it is more friendly with their media center os, and they want to screw over sony... but it seems clear through MSs comments that they will jump off the hd-dvd ship if blu-ray becomes the clear front runner.

iLLNESS

• Archived User
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2006, 03:41:00 PM »

i picked bluray. much better future for it.

DVD's came out because they could fit long movies on 1 disc including extras. companies sure made use of that. 2disc dvds are commonplace now.

with HDDVD its gonna be DVD all over again. one HD movie will fit on the disc with a few extras. once they fill that up theyre gonna start throwing us 2 disc hddvds like they did with DVD. atleast with bluray theres gonna be the ability to have the highdef movie with tons of extras all in HD.

bluray costs alot yes, but so did DVD when it first came out. $1000 for a dvd player when they came out.  HDDVD is already cheap format, u wont see a whole lot of price decreases with it. atleast with bluray theres the potential for price drops.

imo, both will succeed but id say bluray is a much better overall format.
standards now a days arent common. years ago 1 type one, and that was it. now we have so many different formats that all havent died. hell, minidisc is still alive.
just look at mp3 (vbr, cbr, many different bitrates, many different encoders.)
same goes for divx and xvid.
dvd's even still are +/-. CD's atleast went -r after a while, dvds dont look like they will anymore.

so yeah, imo both formats will live (unfortunately, because now were gonna see exclusives on either format like consoles) but i think bluray should win.

assmonkey

• Archived User
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »

HDdvd will win because its acually document as the offical new standard and sony is just releasing theres cause they can.I dont trust sony in any disc they ever make.Who knows wtf they can put on each disc to keep me from copying or spying on me,because this has happend already on standard cds ,just think what could happend on there own format.And finally i hear the disc life of the blueray is only like 10 years as to hddvd keeping the same specs of the dvd which is 100 years.Yeah no dout about that ,if thats true sony will fail real bad.10 vs 100 years will easly chose the next format.

VE DTV Dealer

• Archived User
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2006, 08:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(billygraf @ Jan 15 2006, 06:08 PM) View Post

I Don't think there is a market for either right now, everybody has spent the last 10 years building a dvd collection.  Dvd's look awesome on my 46" Plasm. I buy every gadget when it comes out, but until there is a clear cut winner I won't even sniff a new format.  A good DVD player with component out is all you need,  you can barley notice the difference.  I think HD-DVD will win because it's compatible with PC's, but we are at least 3 years away from affordable Players.

SD DVD's look better with a up-converting DVD player and most of the new HD DVD players up-convert SD DVD's through their HDMI output.

HD DVD's on a HD DVD player with a HD display look amazing.  The HD DVD CES demos were terrific.

HD DVD will be out before Blu-rey, the hardware cost 50% less and the discs are less expensive.  HD DVD has the market edge over Blu-rey.  Why wait, for well under $1k you could have a state of the art HD DVD player and a great library of HD DVD.

We just began to offer Toshiba's HD-A1 and HD-XA1 and advance sales are very strong.

-Robert

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2006, 12:15:00 AM »

alot of people are getting this wrong. this argument/war will be decided by the movie industry. if they can get HD-DVD out before blu-ray, then people will buy them.

i belive that HD-DVD will win, it has a lot going for it in terms of reasons why it might win

dgrams2003

• Archived User
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2006, 06:43:00 AM »

I vote for neither.

... and actually, the hype for one format over the other is completly retarded at this point.
"MS soft is backing HD-DVD... No.. they are NOT going to support HD-DVD... They ARE
going to suppory HD-DVD.... They ARE going to Support Blu-Ray... They are NOT going to support
Blu-Ray...... blah blah"

Who the heck cares right now? If the first stages of the format will only be for movies, it will
take that a few years to even become commonplace.   Besides those who wipe their arses
with money, who would even buy one of these 'new technology' devices to watch a movie?
You'll just end up spending a ton of money for what... something that will be useless in
two years afterwards becasue of the next XBOX system coming out.

Lets talk about this in another year or two when we actually
see something happening.  People, DVD burners are finally a norm and we are not even to
the point where DL-DVD is common yet.  (Mostly becasue of media prices) That is so sad.

grayjo

• Archived User
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2006, 09:13:00 AM »

If you look at the curent market for new disc formats like a 3x3 grid, you can imagine Sony and MS playing a game of format naughts and crosses.

The same thing happened with VHS/BETA, but the VHS camp got enough of the market to make it a standard, so they won.

I don't see this happening with the new formats. There are a large group of movie people supporting blu, and a not so large group supporting hd. Unless one side takes control of all the important squares, they will not win, and we will end up in a stalemate.

Noboby wants a system where in order to watch WB movies you need one device, and a bluray drive to wtch the rest. They will probably fail. But bluray has the best chance, if sony learnt from the vhs/beta thing.

then of course, these holographic discs everyone is talking about will wipe the floor wth both

thax

• Archived User
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2006, 02:12:00 PM »

I don't see a driving need or large benefits for a new format like when DVD arrived.
* Better display quality on all existing consumer equipment
* Lower media costs and cost of production
* Lower shipping costs
* Longer play time
* No video degradation.
* No rewinding of media.
* Familar disc format.

With BluRay or HDDVD the benefits aren't as compelling:
* Better display quality on some existing consumer equipment. (Many consumers could not tell the quality difference between VHS and DVD, the law of diminishing returns implies that fewer consumers will notice the next step in quality difference.)
* Familar disc format. (But confusing because DVD is for movies and CD is for music in consumer minds)

I see BluRay as compelling as LaserDisc, which was partially successful.

I would be nice to see a format that is abstracted from the storage media, like flash currently is. This way media advancements could be made over the life of the format while still using the standardized storage interface to access the data.

Assimilator

• Archived User
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2006, 03:17:00 PM »

I think both will fail because Broadband Internet Connections are getting faster and video on demand will and hopefully games on demand will rule.

Thus you could buy movies and games online and have them sent straight to your consoles harddrive for playback.

Assimilator

• Archived User
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2006, 03:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(medievil @ Jan 16 2006, 11:34 PM) View Post

only problem with that is , there is still something like 70% of the US alone that does NOT have Broadband access...

"access" as in physical cable or "access" as in they dont wanna pay for it ?

DV8ORMODS

• Archived User
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2006, 04:03:00 PM »

who cares only few can fill up a dual layer dvd and use that much seems like a waste of time and ahead of there selves I mean come you can still buy cdroms for your pc whats that tell you seems as if some people want the consumer to put out money for shit they donot need just the liuke that little psp peice of shit with a umd or should I say mini mini dvd

Assimilator

• Archived User
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2006, 04:18:00 PM »

Disc's get damaged too easy i've had data last longer on my pc hard drive than i have on disc's so instead of burning stuff to disc now i just buy another hard drive.

If they were smart they would make it so that if you buy a movie or game online and have it downloaded to your hard drive,  you own the right to have that, so a record would be kept that you bought that game. If anything should happen to that peice of content like a hard drive gone dead. Then you could re download it at no cost

Where as if you scratch a disc that's it you have to buy another one.

ferrari_rulz_02

• Archived User
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(Bizquick @ Jan 17 2006, 05:06 AM) View Post

Blueray will be just like Sony MD. Sony likes to keep pattions and make money on them. Look at Sony MiniDisc when it first launched you saw a few companys make players for the 6 months they had rights to. after that 6 months nothing happen. I think Blueray will do the same. Also look at cost of the disc Blueray cost more to produce. HDDVD will win this war the name is good the cost if low and its expandable for more space if needed. The movie companys have to make a profit thats number 1. If the cost of material is to high they won't use it. Look at today how cheap dvd's are sold and how much its costing them to make them. Right now I bet you won't find people to pay more than 22.00 for new released movie. now if HDDVD or Blueray comes out and it will be in 1080P or somthing then people might pay alittle extra as much as 30.00 (tops) now as it stands HDDVD can do it where they can make a profit. But BlueRay is coming too close to the profit area. Now also this means the players will also need to come out at a cost savings too. With Toshiba and NEC making them I think the cost will be low enought that HDDVD will come out ahead.

i think you hit the nail on the head Bizquick

Aron Parsons

• Archived User
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »

They need to dump legacy support altogether and look to the future.  Blu-Ray wins there, sorta.  Digital video connecitons, digital audio connections, not a bit of analog.  Maybe if they forced shit upon people we still wouldn't have most of hte world watching analog TV and using VHS.

Morien

• Archived User
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2006, 07:27:00 PM »

I'm voting HDDVD atm, simply because of the better DRM on it (as opposed to Bluray).
Space doesn't matter terribly unless movies are stupidly encoded with MPEG-2 (FAR better compression producing FAR better quality is in the specs). For movies the space of a HDDVD is pretty much enough.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6