xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Maya On Linux  (Read 176 times)

supergrafx

• Archived User
Maya On Linux
« on: February 14, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »

Anyone try Maya on Linux on their ps3? I have yet to upgrade my hd and install linux. I didn't think Maya required a graphics card on my mac quicksilver. Just wondering if this could work. Use the ps3 to make games! Let me know...

Elusid

• Archived User
Maya On Linux
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 10:03:00 PM »

Ummm well Maya does require a GFXs card how else can you see? I mean a GFXs card doesn't need to be a totally different card it can be on board video and also Maya is a 3D graphics program, it doesn't make games. Maya would work on your PS3 if you had Linux installed I just bet it would be slow as hell... at least for now until a better version of Linux comes out that can use the PS3 hard ware to it's full capabilities.

grim_d

• Archived User
Maya On Linux
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 04:38:00 AM »

i would imagine maya would work on it, especially if you were using the native maya for linux.

Might i suggest trying blender on it? it's free and open source software. I've seen some really amazing stuff done with it. AND it's the only 3d software with an integrated games engine smile.gif

supergrafx

• Archived User
Maya On Linux
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(grim_d @ Feb 15 2007, 06:45 AM) *

i would imagine maya would work on it, especially if you were using the native maya for linux.

Might i suggest trying blender on it? it's free and open source software. I've seen some really amazing stuff done with it. AND it's the only 3d software with an integrated games engine (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I was thinking of trying to install the maya 8.5 unlimited since my copy'z for mac/linux. I'll try blender too!! Didn't know of that option. Been working mainly in the mac scene only for past decade or so, so the pc toolz, I don't know about too much... I really hope this would work, even at a slow speed, until a more user friendly linux is optimized for the ps3's architecture! I missed out on a 200gb sata internal last night, so me trying this, might perhaps be procrastinated until I get the hd. I'm thinking of waiting for more external options rather than the limited 2.5" option.... So please, if any one has linux and is so inclined, could one see if blender or any maya for linux installs and performs? This will fully justify the spring of the moment 2.5" hd purchase!!!

machineman9

• Archived User
Maya On Linux
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »

hmm, they might work, but consoles aint designed for much else more than games and simple applications... you will probably get many errors with the graphics and actually running the program. blender is good (well, for me it doesnt work on PC atall) but unless you are definately using the linux version, expect problems

Echelo

• Archived User
Maya On Linux
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 11:47:00 PM »

Maya v8.5 does not run on a PS3 with Fedora 6.  It does install from the rpm, but it will not run.  I have been unable to verify any other OS at this time, but it is highly unlikely that it will run on any nix distribution for the ps3.

I have determined this by trying to start it from a shell.

Maya returns the error. "'Wrong Architecture"

Even if it were possible to install OSX on the PS3, due to the fact that the PS3 is using a cell processor, I predict that it will return the same error.

This post has been edited by Echelo: Apr 26 2007, 06:54 AM

supergrafx

• Archived User
Maya On Linux
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 10:47:00 AM »

I just checked my post and thank you all for your predictions as well as trials. I'm in Cali now and my ps3 is in DC for the last two months so I can not test this further. I can't wait until my ps3 replaces my mac. That will be the day. 3d composites on ps3 just would be awesome to say the least. Can't wait...